• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea pig died at 3

Puddle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys. Unfortunately One of my two guinea pigs passed away yesterday but I don’t know why. They have a big cage and I fed them veggies and oxbow hay and food. He was only three years old and just a 2 days before this I fed him veggies and he came up to the front of his cage and ate them like normal. I really don’t know y he died. The day of his death was Christmas so I hadn’t played with them on that day or Christmas Eve, but the day before that I did and he seemed fine. I came home from Christmas dinner to feed them and he was dead. His brother puddle seems completely fine. Please help me figure out how he died so unexpectedly. Could it of been cancer that I didn’t notice? I really don’t know. What are some other common ways that guinea pigs die?

Hi guys. Unfortunately One of my two guinea pigs passed away yesterday but I don’t know why. They have a big cage and I fed them veggies and oxbow hay and food. He was only three years old and just a 2 days before this I fed him veggies and he came up to the front of his cage and ate them like normal. I really don’t know y he died. The day of his death was Christmas so I hadn’t played with them on that day or Christmas Eve, but the day before that I did and he seemed fine. I came home from Christmas dinner to feed them and he was dead. His brother puddle seems completely fine. Please help me figure out how he died so unexpectedly. Could it of been cancer that I didn’t notice? I really don’t know. What are some other common ways that guinea pigs die?

Hi!

I am very sorry. It is always very difficult when your piggy dies suddenly and unexpectedly; you are left with lots of questions and the worry that you have missed a vital clue. The feelings of failure/guilt that characterise the onset of the grieving process with any beloved pet are generally much stronger because of the shock.

Illness in guinea can happen very quickly but you generally notice symptoms at the end when a prey animal can no longer cover them up ; however heart attacks, sudden acute heart failure and strokes out of the blue can happen at any age and they strike in minutes or hours. Unfortunately only a post mortem examination at the vets may give you the answer you crave; all we can do is guess.

Cancer you would have noticed as that is not that quick a killer and the last days or weeks would have been characterised by loss of weight/appetite and him not being well/in pain. ;)

You are welcome to post a tribute to your beloved one in our Rainbow Bridge section. It is there for those that want to make use of it at whatever time.

Here are our tips on what you can do for the companion. He has obviously taken his leave long before you noticed. Not all piggies grieve visibly, but in the longer term he will be much happier if he can choose a new friend again for stimulation and company as he is only halfway through his life.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Welcome to the forum @Puddle and I am so sorry for your loss.
Sadly these things happen and we don’t always know why.
Guinea pigs hide illness very well and we don’t know they’re sick until it’s too late.
I’ve lost a young piggy with no warning so I do understand how you feel.
Look after yourself and allow yourself time to grieve.
The advice @Wiebke has given is very good

So sorry you lost your little piggie, sometimes this can happen suddenly out of the blue for no obvious reason.

Hi guys. I have a guinea pig named puddle. Sadly his brother passed away this Christmas. I really don’t know why. They are only 3 years old and seemed healthy. I fed them veggies, oxbow hay and food. Just 2 days before he seemed when I fed him veggies and played with him. His brother puddle seems totally fine. Could it have been cancer? I need some closure. What some other common reasons of a guinea pig passing?

Welcome to the forum.
I’ve seen your other thread on this question and replied there as have others
I wish there was an easy answer for you

Welcome to the forum!
(I’m a bit late, I know)
Are you considering a friend for Puddle?
I love his name!

Hi I have combined your two posts as they are asking the same question and it's most helpful to you and other readers to have all the information in the same place. Very sorry for your loss

I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, there's just no way to know. It's possible for pigs to go downhill very quickly (the last couple of pigs that I've lossed, while both older than three, seemed fine the day before they passed... one was only visibly ill for a couple of hours. It's also possible for pigs to pass quite suddenly due to sudden causes like a stroke or heart attack. ((HUGS)) and so sorry for your loss.

Back