• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea pig has a flakey ear. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?

Joscelyn

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig is about a couple months old and had ringworm on her eyelid when I first got her. She got all cured and just recently I saw that her ear was a little dry with a very little bit of bleeding. I noticed her biting/grooming my other guinea pigs ear and I thought maybe my other guinea pig was doing the same to her. My other guinea pig isn't that loving and she hates being touched so I'm not sure thats the reason. I put a little bit of aloe lotion on her ear for now.

It’s always best to have these kinds of concerns checked by a vet as only a vet can diagnose the issue. I would avoid putting anything on it yourself for now though as it can make it harder for a vet to diagnose

My guinea pig is about a couple months old and had ringworm on her eyelid when I first got her. She got all cured and just recently I saw that her ear was a little dry with a very little bit of bleeding. I noticed her biting/grooming my other guinea pigs ear and I thought maybe my other guinea pig was doing the same to her. My other guinea pig isn't that loving and she hates being touched so I'm not sure thats the reason. I put a little bit of aloe lotion on her ear for now.

Hi and welcome

Please do not cream any suspected fungal or injury on spec. We can certainly not diagnose just going by your words - for anything but wild guessing games you need a hands-on vet examination. But they will struggle if you wipe the 'crime scene' by home treating and not leave them any clues!

Be aware that ringworm cannot be got on top of by just creaming as the thousands of long-lived spores are not removed and can cause new infections. Ringworm is the most infectious trans-species problem amd sadly very common in new pet shop piggies. Good hygiene and correct treatment are key for getting on top of it once and for all.

Please take the time to read the links below. You should find them very helpful as our practical experience in just how many ways ringworm can be transmitted and how they can be addressed effectively. If you follow it carefully, our advice does actually work as our members have repeatedly proven over the years! Key is a vet grade disinfectant and treatment that doesn't just cover infectious patches but also all the spores that are sitting in the coat and are shed everywhere.
What to check for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites, ringworm&URI)
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

But you need to get a proper diagnosis first. You can do more damage by treating wrongly on spec and it is ultimately more expensive and a lot more unpleasant for your piggies when you at last see a vet after weeks or months and with a much more advanced problem.

Here are the links:

Back