• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig just died

kelise02

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As you can see from the title my guinea pig just died, and I honestly feel so lost without her, I’ve only had her for over a month 😂 and she was probably still scared of me but she was literally my everything like I loved her so much, I got her because my therapist suggested I get something to distract myself due to my really bad depression (this was suggested in 2017) and so I did a lot of research and decided in January of 2019 to get her or should I say them, and I know it’s selfish to think of myself inside of my other guinea pig but I just feel so lost and depressed without her and I don’t know maybe i’m being dramatic but I just wanted to see like how others felt and if it’s normal to feel like this so yeah

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, must have been a shock for you x

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss, it is very normal to feel how you do. There is no 'right' way to grieve, you do what you need to and feel how you feel. I lost a very special piggy in December and I still break down about it, I lost another today and I have a pounding headache from crying so much..heck, i've lost 18 over the years and it's different each time because each journey with each piggy is unique, but always painful.

I have mine because they are the only thing that helps with my anxiety, ironically, losing them is also what makes it somewhat unbearable and throws me off track for quite a while.
There is a rainbow bridge section where you can post a tribute to your lovely piggy if you wish, some members, myself included find it helpful to have somewhere to write about them when they've left, in a place where everyone else understands.

Also, welcome to the forum, I'm sorry it wasnt under nicer circumstances.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
As you can see from the title my guinea pig just died, and I honestly feel so lost without her, I’ve only had her for over a month 😂 and she was probably still scared of me but she was literally my everything like I loved her so much, I got her because my therapist suggested I get something to distract myself due to my really bad depression (this was suggested in 2017) and so I did a lot of research and decided in January of 2019 to get her or should I say them, and I know it’s selfish to think of myself inside of my other guinea pig but I just feel so lost and depressed without her and I don’t know maybe i’m being dramatic but I just wanted to see like how others felt and if it’s normal to feel like this so yeah
Hi and welcome

BIG HUGS

It is normal to feel all at sea after a sudden unexpected death; especially if you have never lost a pet before. Loss and illness of your pets is the area where people with mental health problems struggle even more to cope, but crying your eyes out is a pretty normal reaction.

If possible, please google for either (preferably free) pet bereavement or mental health support lines or email services within your reach.
For the UK, the Blue Cross has both a free pet bereavement line during day time hours.
SupportLine - Problems: Pet Bereavement: Advice, support and information

This guide here contains tips on what you can do for any cavy companion in the immediate or longer term but it also contains tips on what you can do to ease the pain of your loss.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

kelise02

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss, it is very normal to feel how you do. There is no 'right' way to grieve, you do what you need to and feel how you feel. I lost a very special piggy in December and I still break down about it, I lost another today and I have a pounding headache from crying so much..heck, i've lost 18 over the years and it's different each time because each journey with each piggy is unique, but always painful.

I have mine because they are the only thing that helps with my anxiety, ironically, losing them is also what makes it somewhat unbearable and throws me off track for quite a while.
There is a rainbow bridge section where you can post a tribute to your lovely piggy if you wish, some members, myself included find it helpful to have somewhere to write about them when they've left, in a place where everyone else understands.

Also, welcome to the forum, I'm sorry it wasnt under nicer circumstances.
I’m so sorry for your loss x, and thank you I think I will post her there. I wish i joined under better circumstances too, I just felt so alone and angry and upset.

kelise02

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi and welcome

BIG HUGS

It is normal to feel all at sea after a sudden unexpected death; especially if you have never lost a pet before. Loss and illness of your pets is the area where people with mental health problems struggle even more to cope, but crying your eyes out is a pretty normal reaction.

If possible, please google for either (preferably free) pet bereavement or mental health support lines or email services within your reach.
For the UK, the Blue Cross has both a free pet bereavement line during day time hours.
SupportLine - Problems: Pet Bereavement: Advice, support and information

This guide here contains tips on what you can do for any cavy companion in the immediate or longer term but it also contains tips on what you can do to ease the pain of your loss.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Thank you x

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It's hard to lose a pet, and it's totally normal to grieve and feel heartbroken. They are all unique individuals... they are part of the family. Honestly, the last time we lost one of our pets (my daughter's Syrian hamster, Aigis), my daughter cried, my other daughter cried, I cried, I phoned my mom and my mom cried... same with the pigs we've lost over the years. Obviously if you feel at risk of harming yourself or others that's different and you need to report that to someone and seek help, but otherwise grieving is normal when we lose someone we love, and there is no one here who is going to tell you 'it's just a guinea pig.' I think everyone here has felt that way when we've lost a pet too.

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m so sorry for your loss x, and thank you I think I will post her there. I wish i joined under better circumstances too, I just felt so alone and angry and upset.
Thankyou, and you're welcome. You're never alone on here, we've been there and this is honestly one of the most supportive places I know of. I don't know how i'd stay sane without this group of wonderful people.

kelise02

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my other guinea pig royal, I don’t think she’s doing okay, it’s been exactly three hours since cinnamon has died and royal is the youngest guinea pig so she’s usually really energetic and she’s always eating but she’s not moving, she’s just laying and she’s not getting excited when i give her, her favourite food and my girlfriend suggested that i should get a guinea pig tomorrow since we don’t want royal to get any worse but I know it’s completely selfish but I don’t think i’m ready like I feel like it will in some way replace cinnamon or what if i don’t love the guinea pig the same because she is just not cinnamon
P.S. I think royal is doing so bad because she’s not used to being alone (royal and cinnamon are sisters)

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Do you have any idea why cinnamon died? You might want to take your other guinea pig to a vet to make sure she is physically ok if she is not eating still tomorrow.

kelise02

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you have any idea why cinnamon died? You might want to take your other guinea pig to a vet to make sure she is physically ok if she is not eating still tomorrow.
no, no idea at all

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Aw, so sorry for your loss x It’s always such a sad time, try and remember all the happy times you had together and be kind to yourself, if you feel like a good cry you have one x

Sleep tight sweet little piggie x

rhymer

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss.
What you are feeling is normal and lots of people on the forum have felt the way you do, myself included. Please get your other piggy checked if she is still not eating. Most likely she is depressed.
Do you have a rescue where you could take her piggy dating to get her a friend.
Please try not to see any piggy you get as a replacement for Cinnamon, but as an extension of the love you felt and still feel for her.
Sending you hugs.
Sleep tight little Cinnamon.x

kelise02

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted to do a little update,
first of all, thanks for all the love I honestly feel so loved and involved in a community 💕
and second of all, I did get a new guinea pig as royal wasn’t doing good at all so I decided it would be the best and the first time I got her, I was kind of withdrawn from her which was completely unfair to her but now I love her more than anything and of course I’d never forget my cinnamon 💕

Lj1981

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
My little guy Broly passed suddenly and very unexpectedly this past Wednesday. He had surgery Monday to remove a very tiny mass, he was fine when we picked him and brought him home that night. Tuesday morning he was fine, I got home from work that afternoon and he was walking slowly, which they said he would be for the first few days, his pellet bowl was empty so I knew he ate. I could hear him walking around, I checked on him again and he was resting in his little house, so I moved his cage closer to my bed to watch him, 45mins later I see him struggling and dragging himself very slowly out of his house, he wasn’t able to use his back legs only his front ones. And he was sprawled out on his stomach, he kept trying to pick up his head but he couldn’t, I could hear him then struggling to breath and he was breathing through his mouth not his nose and I could hear the mucus in his nose. He begin to slowly twitch, so I called every emergency vet I could find seeing if they saw guinea pigs, I rushed him over, they said he wouldn’t have survived the night had he not been brought in and recommend he stay overnight. Next morning, they call to say he’s only made slight improvement, but not enough to be discharged. They call again 30mins later that he is being force fed by syringe and he is not accepting the food 😭😭😭😭 ... 11:31am (CST) they call to let me know he isn’t walking and isn’t wanting to eat and his sugar levels have dropped dangerously low. 12:20pm (CST) the vet calls to let me know she’s going to give him an inflammatory injection to see if that will help and she strongly recommends he stay another night. 12:35pm (CST) she calls to say he has taken a very sudden turn for the worse and it doesn’t look good, so I rushed out of work, and he passed moments before I got there. I’m just stunned and in total disbelief, he was perfectly fine prior to his surgery, and now my little guy is gone.

Attachments

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I am so very sorry to hear this
How devastating for you.
Please feel free to post a tribute on the Rainbow Bridge thread for lost piggies.
Welcome to the forum and sorry it’s under such circumstances.
You will find lots of understanding and support

Lj1981

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am so very sorry to hear this
How devastating for you.
Please feel free to post a tribute on the Rainbow Bridge thread for lost piggies.
Welcome to the forum and sorry it’s under such circumstances.
You will find lots of understanding and support
Thank you.
Where is the Rainbow Bridge thread?

kelise02

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
My little guy Broly passed suddenly and very unexpectedly this past Wednesday. He had surgery Monday to remove a very tiny mass, he was fine when we picked him and brought him home that night. Tuesday morning he was fine, I got home from work that afternoon and he was walking slowly, which they said he would be for the first few days, his pellet bowl was empty so I knew he ate. I could hear him walking around, I checked on him again and he was resting in his little house, so I moved his cage closer to my bed to watch him, 45mins later I see him struggling and dragging himself very slowly out of his house, he wasn’t able to use his back legs only his front ones. And he was sprawled out on his stomach, he kept trying to pick up his head but he couldn’t, I could hear him then struggling to breath and he was breathing through his mouth not his nose and I could hear the mucus in his nose. He begin to slowly twitch, so I called every emergency vet I could find seeing if they saw guinea pigs, I rushed him over, they said he wouldn’t have survived the night had he not been brought in and recommend he stay overnight. Next morning, they call to say he’s only made slight improvement, but not enough to be discharged. They call again 30mins later that he is being force fed by syringe and he is not accepting the food 😭😭😭😭 ... 11:31am (CST) they call to let me know he isn’t walking and isn’t wanting to eat and his sugar levels have dropped dangerously low. 12:20pm (CST) the vet calls to let me know she’s going to give him an inflammatory injection to see if that will help and she strongly recommends he stay another night. 12:35pm (CST) she calls to say he has taken a very sudden turn for the worse and it doesn’t look good, so I rushed out of work, and he passed moments before I got there. I’m just stunned and in total disbelief, he was perfectly fine prior to his surgery, and now my little guy is gone.
i’m so sorry for your loss, that must’ve been horrible

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear this. You did all you could for him and he would have known he was very loved x