• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig squeak while pooping, HELP ASAP PLEASE

aybikmms

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig, Corny, squeaking while he pooping for the past few days. This is the only symptom.The appetite is normal, the structure of the poo is normal to me and he is peeing as normal.However, it is not possible to find a veterinarian because I am at a very small town. (At least for 1 month.) So I'm making massage his tummy, i can hear the digestive sound. This is all i can do. So, whats the problem and what should i do?

He needs to see a vet for a diagnosis and treatment, there could be any number of things going on but there is nothing you can do yourself. The squeaking is likely due to pain

:agr:

It could be caused by several things and is not possible for us to diagnose over the Internet.
Even small towns usually have a vet somewhere nearby, and most vets are still offering non contact appointments.

He needs to see a vet for a diagnosis and treatment, there could be any number of things going on but there is nothing you can do yourself. The squeaking is likely due to pain
I'm with my family in a very small town, so there is no veterinarian here. I called a vet and he told me to give Corny more hay, and probably it was gas.I live in turkey and the vets are not very effective in exotic animals in here. I dont know what to do

My guinea pig, Corny, squeaking while he pooping for the past few days. This is the only symptom.The appetite is normal, the structure of the poo is normal to me and he is peeing as normal.However, it is not possible to find a veterinarian because I am at a very small town. (At least for 1 month.) So I'm making massage his tummy, i can hear the digestive sound. This is all i can do. So, whats the problem and what should i do?

Hi!

Any healthy guinea pig gut should gurgle constantly when you put your ear to it. You should however not hear it from across a room. Squeaking when peeing or pooing is usually a symptom for problems with the urinary tract (peeing) and not the digestive tract (pooping).

Contact the vet again for an antibiotic if your guinea pig is making red pees; symptoms usually firm up over the course of 5-7 days. In this case it is likely a urinary tract infection (UTI) or a cystitis (bladder infection). An antibiotic - either a brand containing trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or in short SMZ-TMP (usually known as bactrim, sulfatrim or septrin) or one containing enroflaxacine (better known as baytril) - and some analgesic like metacam are the standard treatment for that. I have added the active substances in the advice so your vet can check more easily for the according brands available in Turkey; but either antibiotic is safe to give to guinea pigs.

In rarer cases, the symptoms can be caused by a bladder stone or sludge - that is what your vet should check for if the antibiotic is not doing the trick within a week or if your guinea pig is suddenly looking very ill.

Here is more information to take with you if need to see a vet and to check with them:
Urinary tract infections and cystitis: Guinea Lynx :: UTI
Safe medications for guinea pigs: Guinea Lynx :: Medications
Dangerous medications for guinea pigs: Guinea Lynx :: Dangerous Medications (notably any penicillin based antibiotics)

Please take the time to add Turkey to location in your account details (you find them when you click on your username on the top). This makes your country appear with every post you make and allows us to tailor any advice that helps you get what you need from a vet not good with guinea pigs, including the correct medication.

Please keep any further questions and updates to this one specially monitored thread so we can keep all information together and help you best.

I hope that this helps you? Urinary tract and bladder infections are one of the most common guinea pig problems.

Hi!

Any healthy guinea pig gut should gurgle constantly when you put your ear to it. You should however not hear it from across a room. Squeaking when peeing or pooing is usually a symptom for problems with the urinary tract (peeing) and not the digestive tract (pooping).

Contact the vet again for an antibiotic if your guinea pig is making red pees; symptoms usually firm up over the course of 5-7 days. In this case it is likely a urinary tract infection (UTI) or a cystitis (bladder infection). An antibiotic - either a brand containing trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or in short SMZ-TMP (usually known as bactrim, sulfatrim or septrin) or one containing enroflaxacine (better known as baytril) - and some analgesic like metacam are the standard treatment for that. I have added the active substances in the advice so your vet can check more easily for the according brands available in Turkey; but either antibiotic is safe to give to guinea pigs.

In rarer cases, the symptoms can be caused by a bladder stone or sludge - that is what your vet should check for if the antibiotic is not doing the trick within a week or if your guinea pig is suddenly looking very ill.

Here is more information to take with you if need to see a vet and to check with them:
Urinary tract infections and cystitis: Guinea Lynx :: UTI
Safe medications for guinea pigs: Guinea Lynx :: Medications
Dangerous medications for guinea pigs: Guinea Lynx :: Dangerous Medications (notably any penicillin based antibiotics)

Please take the time to add Turkey to location in your account details (you find them when you click on your username on the top). This makes your country appear with every post you make and allows us to tailor any advice that helps you get what you need from a vet not good with guinea pigs, including the correct medication.

Please keep any further questions and updates to this one specially monitored thread so we can keep all information together and help you best.

I hope that this helps you? Urinary tract and bladder infections are one of the most common guinea pig problems.
Hi, thank you so much for your very informative reply because i was kinda panicked and scared. So, after i massaged his tummy he farted i guess, in addition, his pee is not reddish or pink. vet is not effective, he told me to give Corny olive oil and wait for 2-3 days. So, should i wait to visible symptoms for using antibiotics and diagnosis or what should i do?Thank you so much again

Is there no other vet in the country that you could contact?

I dont think olive oil is a good idea, can you find a better vet online who you can email and speak to on the phone? One who has experience with guinea pigs?
The other vet told me the same thing, give more hay and wait for few day. Nobody wants to do anything without seeing it. I think I'll wait a bit and start the antibiotics if the situation get worse.

I think you’ll have to try and ring around everywhere until you hopefully find one who knows a bit more. Otherwise try what @Wiebke said. Sorry you’re having a hard time of it!

UPDATE:So I called a 3. vet and she told me that the pellet I was using could sometimes contain too much protein, and this could be a problem. I gave him olive oil for 3 days, 2 times a day 0.5ml. More hay and less pellets. (The vet said that only I could do) Much better for now and doesn't squeak while pooping or pee. Still, when I return to my city, I will take him back to the vet for xray and a detailed examination. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

PLEASE don't give your piggy olive oil, I don't think it's suitable for them. What kind of pellets are you giving him? And did the vet give you any medicine for him?

I'm using same pellet for 1.5 years. The vet said that sometimes pigs react to more protein this way.Olive oil would not my first choice but the vet said it was all I could do for now. So i take the chance, i gave him very carefully and very little olive oiI for 3days not more. I didnt use any medicine because as i said I'm far away from vet, i just called her and tell her the situation. Corny is happy for now :))

It’s difficult because you don’t have enough vets in Turkey, let alone those with experience of treating guinea pigs. But I really wouldn’t feed your guinea pig any olive oil.

Pellets should be kept to one tablespoon a day. What kind of pellets are you feeding him? Are they for guinea pigs or other (small) animals? I’ve not heard of a guinea pig having too much protein though...

The pellet that I'm using for pigs. I didnt use other animal pellets any other time.(rabbit or hamster) Pellets can sometimes contain more protein, perhaps because it is produced here, I don't know. I think olive oil worked in general and I made sure that the amount I gave was safe. (ONLY FOR 3days / TOTAL dose 3ml) And as I said, I did not want to give it first but it seems to work.No squeak while pooping or pee (for a 1 week).He is happy and energetic. Because of quarantine, I am in a small place but normally I live in Ankara, I have a vet there. When I return 2 weeks later, I will take the Corny with my other 2 pigs (Qypsy and ceviz) to the vet for examination. Wish me luck :)

Back