• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My guineas are outside and i feel bad

Kaelyna

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys

My guineas normally live in a outdoors shed. They are 4 months old. I give them lots of hay and they have a wooden house stuffed full of hay and i out snuggle safes in there at night. They are always snuggled up these days.

I brought them in last night in their little carry case for firework night because i didnt want them to be scared, but now I find myself not being able to put them outside again. Its just so cold outside I feel so bad for them :( but they are literally just sat in a carry case right now so I'm going to have to put them out soon because they have no space in it...

I was thinking I could move my bedroom around and build a c and c cage in my bedroom. I live in a house share and we already have tortoises so theres not much room for them downstairs.

My boyfriend is adamant that I shouldnt put them in my bedroom though as he says my room will smell like a barn, and says just to give them more hay etc. He had guinea pigs when they were younger and his stayed outside all year round. I also spoke to a guinea pig vet when I saw her when i first got the guinea pigs and she said they would be fine outside, just to add lots of hay.

I'm not too sure what I should do. Hopefully someone can give me some advice?

I won’t try and make your choice for you and I’m sure somebody will have something better to add but my two boys live at the side of my bed (if you saw my room you’d wonder how I manage :)) ) and it doesn’t smell anything like a barn, just a normal room. Smell wise I don’t ever notice anything unless they’re scent marking :)

My piggies live out In my shed year round but only while I can keep it warm enough (but lucky that has always been possible so they’ve not had to come in over winter at all over the years, they do however have to come in during summer as it gets too hot in the shed). Lots of hay, hidey houses and four snugglesafes in the hutch, two blankets on the hutch along with a thermal hutch cover and they’ve always been warm enough. A thermometer is essential if you’re going to keep them out.

What temperature is it in your shed? If you can’t maintain it above 15 degrees, and definitely above 10 degrees, then it’ll be too cold for them to stay out.

However, what you can’t do is keep bringing them in and then putting them back out. The temperature fluctuation is too much now and can lead to illness. You need to make a decision and stick to it.

You don’t say what sex your piggies are, but boars need a cage of 180cm x 60cm (which is a 5x2 c&c) (two sows need a 4x2 c&c) to have enough room so ensure you have enough space for that indoors

Last edited:
In a house share your bedroom is a safer choice as in the communal rooms you can never be sure that someone isn't going to pop round for a few minutes with a friendly dog - or perhaps try and have a little cuddle when you're not there - or have tv/music on loud. They aren't nocturnal like hamsters so although there may be some activity at night it's not crazy-crazy. You can respect bf's view point but frankly unless he's paying part of the rent for that room....? And, bless him, how does he smell?! You do get to see their personalities more indoors too.

If they go back out it's going to be hay, hay, hay and a ton of heat pads and insulation but people all over the place are doing it so it's not unusual and you'll get great advice from the shed-keepers here. We live close to a river and have to be cautious of passing rats so we don't even have bins outside never mind piggies in case they are attracted to the food etc. It's going to be different for everyone. Good luck with your choice ☺

I keep mine in my room. Doesn't smell like a barn. They have a c&c cage. 2×4 each (ive got an intact boar and sow so they're seperate at the moment until u can get the boar neutered). Half fleece half substrate where there hay is. Poop pick twice a day and Remove any wet hay. Change fleece once every 3-4 days. Full clean out day is tomorrow and it doesn't smell at all. Ok maybe a bit of hay but with a window open for a few hours and an air purifier, relatively little. Ultimately though no one can decide for you but I hope our inputs help :)

Hi guys

My guineas normally live in a outdoors shed. They are 4 months old. I give them lots of hay and they have a wooden house stuffed full of hay and i out snuggle safes in there at night. They are always snuggled up these days.

I brought them in last night in their little carry case for firework night because i didnt want them to be scared, but now I find myself not being able to put them outside again. Its just so cold outside I feel so bad for them :( but they are literally just sat in a carry case right now so I'm going to have to put them out soon because they have no space in it...

I was thinking I could move my bedroom around and build a c and c cage in my bedroom. I live in a house share and we already have tortoises so theres not much room for them downstairs.

My boyfriend is adamant that I shouldnt put them in my bedroom though as he says my room will smell like a barn, and says just to give them more hay etc. He had guinea pigs when they were younger and his stayed outside all year round. I also spoke to a guinea pig vet when I saw her when i first got the guinea pigs and she said they would be fine outside, just to add lots of hay.

I'm not too sure what I should do. Hopefully someone can give me some advice?
My cage with mine is in my room! I’d highly recommend putting them inside since they can get cold quite easily. My friend has outdoor piggies and she brings them in for the winter every year. & if definitely doesn’t smell like a barn if you keep them clean!

Well, I have to say I'm a shocker when it comes to my animals, I would probably be saying, its the pigs indoors, or you out! LOL🤣 But that's me.

I spend all day working in the room where we keep our 7 piggies and they don't smell. You can smell the fresh hay a little as there is so much of it but it is nice smell.

You can sometimes get a little bit of scent from boars (not sure if you have sows or boars) as they like to mark their territory.

I would definitely bring your piggies indoors if you can.

My boys love to scent their freshly washed fleeces (why do I bother) so that can pong a bit occasionally, but generally they’re not too smelly and fresh hay has a lovely scent.

There are lots of products these days for people who keep their guinea pigs outside. Snuggle safe pads can be slipped under the hay to act as piggie hot pockets, so you could always look into these. Also, you can insulate their hutch with extra layers to help keep in the warmth. There are lots of tips on this forum to help give you piece of mind from experienced outdoor owners to help keep your pigs warm and cosy 🙂

Back