• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My piggies home is to small!

MollythePiggylover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All of my guinea pigs live in a home that is way too small! the biggest cage we have is two of the store bought cages (that are too small!) put together. they do not have any room to run around in unless we take them out in the play pen. two guinea pigs live in this cage. the other one lives in one of these small store bought cages. and another lives in an aquarium tank! We have a design but when should we make it? where should we make it? please help our piggies are turning into a fat ball of mush!IMG_2876 (3).jpg

It is good you are thinking of way to offer your piggies more space.
They will definitely enjoy having more room to play and explore.

What is the design you have in mind?
Do you envision all four piggies living together or are they going to have separate areas?
If you can give us some more information I am sure people will have lots of suggestions on ways to make the most of the space you have.

I'm not 100% sure I follow your post and understand what you are asking.

You have four piggies, one pair in two joined cages, two singles in a cage and an aquarium. What size living space does the pair have? Are they male or female? Same for the two singles can you please confirm gender and size of where they live.

well, I envision three of my younger guinea pigs living together. but the one in the aquarium (my eldest guinea pig) will live alone. she hates other piggies and loves living her own life.

I'm not 100% sure I follow your post and understand what you are asking.

You have four piggies, one pair in two joined cages, two singles in a cage and an aquarium. What size living space does the pair have? Are they male or female? Same for the two singles can you please confirm gender and size of where they live.
they are all girls and the cage size is.... well look up petsmart guinea pig cages and that is how big they are

they are all girls and the cage size is.... well look up petsmart guinea pig cages and that is how big they are

If you are asking for advice the least you could do is provide the information.

If it doesn't meet the minimum size requirements for sows (which is less than boars hence why I asked genders) then I would get your new cage built asap

As above, it’s easier to give us the size than us going hunting. I’m sure there are several cage sizes on the site as well.

Three sows will need 178x60cm (2x5 c&c) minimum, although it’s always better to go bigger if you can. You need to give them the space as soon as possible.

If you know they are wholly unsuitable then you need to change their cages to meet welfare standards as soon as possible.
As siikibam has said Its rather difficult for us to look up petsmart cages given we are in the uk and don’t really know what cages you have or how many cages petsmart even sell to know whether it is the one you have. It’s better for you to provide us with the measurements of the cages as they are right there with you, if you would like our help

Last edited:
can I suggest that you prioritise moving the piggie that is in the tank. guinea pigs have very delicate repertory systems and are vulnerable to repertory infections at the best of time but this is worse where there is little ventilation. also be careful with what bedding you're using in a tank, beddings that give of small amounts of toxic chemicals or dust which would simply leave a well ventilated cage are now trapped and will build up in a tank even if there is no lid.

If you cannot provide proper care and feel overwhelmed by the amount of piggy's you have you may need to think about giving up some of your piggy's to a rescue where they can get the space they need. there is no shame in this I have two boars and would struggle if I had to deal with multiple cages of piggie.

Hi! I live in the US and the cages at Petsmart are all too small for that amount of piggies. You could build a great C&C cage for your piggies that would fit them all. If you aren't going to keep the older piggy with the others, please make sure you have them next to each other for company. The current cage situation you have your piggies in is just not good for them. I made a homemade home for my two piggies that is 3 feet by 5 feet.

I do see that you have a picture of all four of the piggies together (they are adorable!). Is the older sow actually fighting or is it just establishing dominance? There are others on here that are far better at explaining bonding behavior than I am.

Back