• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Piggy has Diarrhea!

winters.piggylover649

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone! It’s about 12AM where I am currently, and I noticed that my piggy had a serious case of diarrhea. She cannot seem to move around as quickly as she usually can, and you can totally tell that she is not herself. I feed them both carrots as of now with plenty of hay and water. The diarrhea was pretty smelly and dark. I am worried because I don’t want anything bad to happen to her as I am just an amateur piggy owner. Her cage mate is totally fine, and is on the same diet as her. I check google for answers, but just end up psyching myself out more! Please someone help me out(: Thank you so much!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Please see a vet ASAP. Severe diarrhoea is considered an emergency.
Please stop giving any vegetables during an episode of being unwell, it will make things worse. Feed only hay and step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed or mushed up pellets. Weigh her daily so you can ensure she is getting enough hay and recovery food to maintain her weight.
Please don’t reintroduce vegetables again until she is well again - veg will contribute to an imbalance of the gut and at the moment getting plenty of fibre is important to settle things down.
The green links below explain further

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Please do not feed carrots regularly, They are too high in sugar and are more like a chocolate bar to a guinea pig. They should be a tiny piece no more than once per week
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

winters.piggylover649

New Born Pup
Reaction score
UPDATE: Stella just got to the vet. The doctor called me and told me that her abdominal area was bothering her and her temp was dropping as well as her vitals. I can’t afford the money for the hospital fees, so I am trying and outpatient route with medication and care. The doctor doesn’t know how effective that tactic will be, but it’s worth a try for my piggy, i will keep you updated

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Stella just got to the vet. The doctor called me and told me that her abdominal area was bothering her and her temp was dropping as well as her vitals. I can’t afford the money for the hospital fees, so I am trying and outpatient route with medication and care. The doctor doesn’t know how effective that tactic will be, but it’s worth a try for my piggy, i will keep you updated
Fingers VERY firmly crossed.
Please be aware that a steady drop in body temperature may mean that your piggy's body could have already started to close down. Make sure that you keep your piggy warm but not hot. Follow the advice in the crisis care guide (link in the first post) and in this link here:(
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

winters.piggylover649

New Born Pup
Reaction score
UPDATE: Second day of outpatient care and Stella is looking WAY better. She finally is opening her eyes fully, and is on about four different kinds of medication. She looks way better than yesterday, but still has diarrhea once or twice a day. Not moving around that much in her cage yet, but seems to be better. Giving her as much water and mushed critical care as I can. She won’t eat the pellets or hay yet, and won’t drink out of the water bottle, still very dependent on her fluids and food through tubes. Heart rate is good, just worried about the non-movement as she usually is a very active piggy. Her diagnosis was bloody diarrhea and a possible GI Tract infection. I don’t assume there is a tract infection going on, but the blood in the diarrhea has stopped. I am giving her as much care as I can, I really do not know the severity of diarrhea, and am still scared that she might not make it. I am positive though, as she is showing massive strides of improvement, even if it’s minuscule, everything counts.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Second day of outpatient care and Stella is looking WAY better. She finally is opening her eyes fully, and is on about four different kinds of medication. She looks way better than yesterday, but still has diarrhea once or twice a day. Not moving around that much in her cage yet, but seems to be better. Giving her as much water and mushed critical care as I can. She won’t eat the pellets or hay yet, and won’t drink out of the water bottle, still very dependent on her fluids and food through tubes. Heart rate is good, just worried about the non-movement as she usually is a very active piggy. Her diagnosis was bloody diarrhea and a possible GI Tract infection. I don’t assume there is a tract infection going on, but the blood in the diarrhea has stopped. I am giving her as much care as I can, I really do not know the severity of diarrhea, and am still scared that she might not make it. I am positive though, as she is showing massive strides of improvement, even if it’s minuscule, everything counts.
Fingers firmly crossed but glad that she has come through! You may need to keep on feeding for some days more; the crisis is not yet quite over.