• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Piggy has Diarrhea!

winters.piggylover649

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone! It’s about 12AM where I am currently, and I noticed that my piggy had a serious case of diarrhea. She cannot seem to move around as quickly as she usually can, and you can totally tell that she is not herself. I feed them both carrots as of now with plenty of hay and water. The diarrhea was pretty smelly and dark. I am worried because I don’t want anything bad to happen to her as I am just an amateur piggy owner. Her cage mate is totally fine, and is on the same diet as her. I check google for answers, but just end up psyching myself out more! Please someone help me out(: Thank you so much!

Please see a vet ASAP. Severe diarrhoea is considered an emergency.
Please stop giving any vegetables during an episode of being unwell, it will make things worse. Feed only hay and step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed or mushed up pellets. Weigh her daily so you can ensure she is getting enough hay and recovery food to maintain her weight.
Please don’t reintroduce vegetables again until she is well again - veg will contribute to an imbalance of the gut and at the moment getting plenty of fibre is important to settle things down.
The green links below explain further

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Please do not feed carrots regularly, They are too high in sugar and are more like a chocolate bar to a guinea pig. They should be a tiny piece no more than once per week
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

UPDATE: Stella just got to the vet. The doctor called me and told me that her abdominal area was bothering her and her temp was dropping as well as her vitals. I can’t afford the money for the hospital fees, so I am trying and outpatient route with medication and care. The doctor doesn’t know how effective that tactic will be, but it’s worth a try for my piggy, i will keep you updated

UPDATE: Stella just got to the vet. The doctor called me and told me that her abdominal area was bothering her and her temp was dropping as well as her vitals. I can’t afford the money for the hospital fees, so I am trying and outpatient route with medication and care. The doctor doesn’t know how effective that tactic will be, but it’s worth a try for my piggy, i will keep you updated

Fingers VERY firmly crossed.
Please be aware that a steady drop in body temperature may mean that your piggy's body could have already started to close down. Make sure that you keep your piggy warm but not hot. Follow the advice in the crisis care guide (link in the first post) and in this link here:(
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

UPDATE: Second day of outpatient care and Stella is looking WAY better. She finally is opening her eyes fully, and is on about four different kinds of medication. She looks way better than yesterday, but still has diarrhea once or twice a day. Not moving around that much in her cage yet, but seems to be better. Giving her as much water and mushed critical care as I can. She won’t eat the pellets or hay yet, and won’t drink out of the water bottle, still very dependent on her fluids and food through tubes. Heart rate is good, just worried about the non-movement as she usually is a very active piggy. Her diagnosis was bloody diarrhea and a possible GI Tract infection. I don’t assume there is a tract infection going on, but the blood in the diarrhea has stopped. I am giving her as much care as I can, I really do not know the severity of diarrhea, and am still scared that she might not make it. I am positive though, as she is showing massive strides of improvement, even if it’s minuscule, everything counts.

UPDATE: Second day of outpatient care and Stella is looking WAY better. She finally is opening her eyes fully, and is on about four different kinds of medication. She looks way better than yesterday, but still has diarrhea once or twice a day. Not moving around that much in her cage yet, but seems to be better. Giving her as much water and mushed critical care as I can. She won’t eat the pellets or hay yet, and won’t drink out of the water bottle, still very dependent on her fluids and food through tubes. Heart rate is good, just worried about the non-movement as she usually is a very active piggy. Her diagnosis was bloody diarrhea and a possible GI Tract infection. I don’t assume there is a tract infection going on, but the blood in the diarrhea has stopped. I am giving her as much care as I can, I really do not know the severity of diarrhea, and am still scared that she might not make it. I am positive though, as she is showing massive strides of improvement, even if it’s minuscule, everything counts.

Fingers firmly crossed but glad that she has come through! You may need to keep on feeding for some days more; the crisis is not yet quite over.

UPDATE: I can’t keep track lol, I think it’s been about 4 days of outpatient care. Stella is looking so great! No more diarrhea, and she is off her pain medication, still being fed her fluids and food by a tube. I think the pain meds are what are making her feel so tired and out of it, cause they take a toll on a little piggy. The only problem I’m having is that she is not pooping at all. The vet said that it is normal, but she won’t eat the hay, pellets or drink the water yet. I just don’t know what to do because I want to make sure she is able to eat regularly again soon. Overall, I am seeing great improvements for sure! If anyone has any ideas on what I could do to help her with this, please share! Thank you so much!

That’s brilliant she seems to be better. 😃

UPDATE: I can’t keep track lol, I think it’s been about 4 days of outpatient care. Stella is looking so great! No more diarrhea, and she is off her pain medication, still being fed her fluids and food by a tube. I think the pain meds are what are making her feel so tired and out of it, cause they take a toll on a little piggy. The only problem I’m having is that she is not pooping at all. The vet said that it is normal, but she won’t eat the hay, pellets or drink the water yet. I just don’t know what to do because I want to make sure she is able to eat regularly again soon. Overall, I am seeing great improvements for sure! If anyone has any ideas on what I could do to help her with this, please share! Thank you so much!

All the best that she can make it through. If there aren't any poos, then that is because there is not enough coming through via the mouth; have you and your vet checked whether she is getting enough feed and her weight is stable?
The tiredness is likely connected with the feed/gut movement and not with her medication.

Her gut microbiome may also be floored so that needs to rebuild again as her gut stabilises and recovers. she will need support feed and watering until her appetite is coming back and her gut is fully working again.

But glad that she has come through the crisis. It must be such a relief for you!

UPDATE: I have put her and her sister in different cages so I can monitor whether she poops or not. No poop and no eating as well. She is fully off of all her meds and fluid so I am just giving her water through the syringes as well as the critical care. Do you know if this is normal for her not to poop at all? Or should this be a legitimate concern? Other than that, she seems normal. She’s moving around more, and she doesn’t seem in pain. I am just so confused as to what is really going on with her

Lack of poop can be because not enough food is/has been going in.
How much critical care are you getting into her in a 24 hour period?

The vet called for 1tbsp or the critical care, with 2 tbsp of water 3 times a day in a 24 hour period. I have been doing that to the best of my ability everyday

When I had a piggy that was entirely reliant on syringe food, I syringed in as much as they would take every 2-3 hours during the day, the last one being around 11pm and then up once in the night at around 3am and started again about 7am.

A piggy who is not eating anything for themselves needs to be fed in excess of 60ml of syringe feed in a 24 hour period. This can mean syringe feeding as much as they will take at each sitting every 2-3 hours. The less a piggy takes in each sitting, the more often you will need to feed her.

You need to weigh her every day (at the same time every day) so you can ensure you a feeding her enough - if her weight drops, then she needs to be fed more often. If her weight is stable each morning, then she is getting enough.

The green links I added in on the first reply in this thread gives further details

I am giving it to her 3 times a day. From what you guys are sending me, I see now that she needs to be fed every 2-3 hours. I checked her stomach, and her stomach looks huge due to all of the food that is going on, and no food coming out. I want to bring her to the vet, but I cannot lay the expenses of a visit. I’m so concerned because I can tell she is in serious pain. I don’t want anything bad to happen, and all I need for her to do is poop. Is there anything else that might get her to as her stomach is carrying 5 days worth of food in her stomach. I know she is in pain and just want to help her to the best of my ability.

UPDATE: my poor baby Stella passed in her sleep last night. I tried everything I could to help her, but it wasn’t enough for her. I know she was suffering though, so I am happy she is out of her misery. Thank you to all that have helped me through this time, you guys don’t understand how greatful I am that you all so willingly guided me through this journey(:

I'm so sorry you lost Stella. Sometimes whatever we do the call of the Rainbow Bridge is stronger and they just have to go.

Back