• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My sick guinea pig

Hope1234

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
I have noticed my guinea pig Izzy has been sneezing quite often in the last day or so... she has been cleaning herself a lot. I have noticed a popping noise coming from inside her, I can even feel it, I’m not sure if this is something I should be worried about or if it’s normal, she has also been more tired as I have never really seen her sleep she has completely fallen asleep on my chest for a long period of time today.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The advise is always to take your piggy to a vet if you’re worried about anything. Make sure they’re cavy savvy.

Does she have a wet nose? What does her chest sound like?

Hope1234

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t have money to take her to the vet :( she seems okay otherwise, she had a little bit of a runny nose earlier but it doesn’t seem runny at all now. This is where I’m confused because everything else is fine-her eyes, her mouth. She keeps blowing hard out her nose I’m not sure if that means anything, but her chest sounds okay

Hope1234

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The advise is always to take your piggy to a vet if you’re worried about anything. Make sure they’re cavy savvy.

Does she have a wet nose? What does her chest sound like?
Unfortunately I don’t have money to take her to the vet :( she seems okay otherwise, she had a little bit of a runny nose earlier but it doesn’t seem runny at all now. This is where I’m confused because everything else is fine-her eyes, her mouth. She keeps blowing hard out her nose I’m not sure if that means anything, but her chest sounds okay

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It possibly sounds like the beginnings of a URI. You really do need to get her to a vet. Piggies can go downhill very quickly, and you don’t want get to get worse before she’s treated.

Are you able to borrow money from someone? Or ask the vet if they have a payment plan where you can start paying it back at a later date.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with @Siikibam if you can hear and feel her breathing popping it's likely to be a URI which does need antibiotics and professional vet care in order to successfully treat

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the above posts. You really do need to take her to see a vet. Please let us know what the vet says.

Hope1234

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all! Vet said my little baby Izzy is just having some allergies, she’s doing great now! :) thanks for the help and support!