Nervous pig?

rosieb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I am a New Guinea Pig owner. I have 4 Guinea Pigs and 3 of them let me hold them and don't struggle. They aren't frozen and seem pretty relaxed when I hold them aside from the fact that they breathe pretty fast as if they are nervous. Are they just sniffing around to see what's going on? And if they are nervous, is it a problem, or will they stop as they get more used to me.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
they breathe fast normally so that’s fine. If they’re sniffing around then they’re curious about where they are and just checking it out. They may get more used to you or they may not, it depends on their temperament.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a New Guinea Pig owner. I have 4 Guinea Pigs and 3 of them let me hold them and don't struggle. They aren't frozen and seem pretty relaxed when I hold them aside from the fact that they breathe pretty fast as if they are nervous. Are they just sniffing around to see what's going on? And if they are nervous, is it a problem, or will they stop as they get more used to me.
Hi and welcome

Guinea pigs breathe a lot faster than humans. Learning what is normal and what not can be a bit nerve-wracking at first. But generally as long as you can't hear any crackling or rasping and as your piggies are active and not apathetic, you need not worry and just take it as their 'normal'.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites (includes information on respiratory infections, usually referred to as URI)

Please take the time to read our settling in guides; they are full of very helpful tips. It is good that they are out an about in your presence.
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides