• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Neutering Risks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum topic, I wasn't sure quite which it went in.

Anyway onto my question. I've had a guinea pig neutered before and he acted as though nothing had happened which was very out of the blue. It didn't phase him the slightest and he acted as normal.

But I've just lost two guinea pigs, one who was from a pair of boars and has left his remaining friend and one who was in a seperate cage and neutered with my two girls.

With the loss of the two boys, the smart thing to do is put my remaining boar in with the girls as he's only a youngster still at 2 years old this month. But because I lost my two boars within 3 days of each other I'm absolutely terrified of the prospect of the neutering going wrong or Bakura not having the energy to go through it so soon after losing his cage mate. Could he just give up instead of fighting?

So I was wondering, how much does a neutering affect a guinea pig? I know there is always a risk of death but how likely is this? Right now I know I cannot deal with losing a third piggie so soon, especially the last of my boys. I've always owned boys, its only recently I've had female pigs and with them suddenly gone...

Is the risk worth it? I feel really bad for my remaining boar. He doesn't seem upset and he can hear the girls but he's constantly sitting in Romano's favourite spot (a wooden house) and I wonder if its because he misses him.

I'd appreciate any advice on how risky neutering is and if its worth it. I haven't gotten over the loss of my two other boys.

There's always a risk anytime anaesthetic is involved @Julesie but it is impossible to put a % on it.

If your pig is healthy and the vet you use is a good guinea pig vet who has neutered many pigs before then you have a massive chance of it going problem free.

There's always a risk anytime anaesthetic is involved @Julesie but it is impossible to put a % on it.

If your pig is healthy and the vet you use is a good guinea pig vet who has neutered many pigs before then you have a massive chance of it going problem free.
The vet I will be going to is extremely good, he's neutered many pigs before but because the wound is still SO fresh I'm just really terrified.

Do you think a guinea pig who just lost his cage mate and then has surgery will be okay? I just don't want to push too much on him at once.

@Julesie Have you thought about getting another boar? There are rescues that can help you with "boar dating" where he can choose his own cagemate.

If he's feeling okay and is eating fine then he's got a good chance of getting through it fine.

It's always a hard decision to put them through surgery, especially when there's not a medical reason for doing it. I definitely understand your dilemma.

@Julesie Have you thought about getting another boar? There are rescues that can help you with "boar dating" where he can choose his own cagemate.

If he's feeling okay and is eating fine then he's got a good chance of getting through it fine.

It's always a hard decision to put them through surgery, especially when there's not a medical reason for doing it. I definitely understand your dilemma.
I've always had bonded boars. I've bonded many but sadly its time for me to dwindle my numbers down not up. My parents are fed up of them in the house and until I can move out I have to follow their rules.

Thank you. He seems to be fine in himself. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and hope he is strong enough to get through it. Thank you

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum topic, I wasn't sure quite which it went in.

Anyway onto my question. I've had a guinea pig neutered before and he acted as though nothing had happened which was very out of the blue. It didn't phase him the slightest and he acted as normal.

But I've just lost two guinea pigs, one who was from a pair of boars and has left his remaining friend and one who was in a seperate cage and neutered with my two girls.

With the loss of the two boys, the smart thing to do is put my remaining boar in with the girls as he's only a youngster still at 2 years old this month. But because I lost my two boars within 3 days of each other I'm absolutely terrified of the prospect of the neutering going wrong or Bakura not having the energy to go through it so soon after losing his cage mate. Could he just give up instead of fighting?

So I was wondering, how much does a neutering affect a guinea pig? I know there is always a risk of death but how likely is this? Right now I know I cannot deal with losing a third piggie so soon, especially the last of my boys. I've always owned boys, its only recently I've had female pigs and with them suddenly gone...

Is the risk worth it? I feel really bad for my remaining boar. He doesn't seem upset and he can hear the girls but he's constantly sitting in Romano's favourite spot (a wooden house) and I wonder if its because he misses him.

I'd appreciate any advice on how risky neutering is and if its worth it. I haven't gotten over the loss of my two other boys.

If you can, please travel up to the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton. The vet there has as close to a 100% success rate when it comes to boar neutering as you can get. he is one of the best guinea pig operation vets in the country and is keeping up with new surgical procedures.
He's operated on four piggies of mine just this year; three of them older sows. One of them has been Nye's neuter in January. Nye had an absolutely smooth recovery and didn't even require antibiotics or a post-op check. It is really worth travelling further for absolute peace of mind. I certainly do!
Several of my other neutered boars have also been operated by him (Maelog and Terfel. He's also spayed Nesta and Hafren, Cariad and at the beginning of his month 5 year old Iola, which is a much trickier operation). I don't know how many years back it is since he lost a boar in a neutering op, but it is an impressive number!
The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic

If you can, please travel up to the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton. The vet there has as close to a 100% success rate when it comes to boar neutering as you can get. he is one of the best guinea pig operation vets in the country and is keeping up with new surgical procedures.
He's operated on four piggies of mine just this year; three of them older sows. One of them has been Nye's neuter in January. Nye had an absolutely smooth recovery and didn't even require antibiotics or a post-op check. It is really worth travelling further for absolute peace of mind. I certainly do!
Several of my other neutered boars have also been operated by him (Maelog and Terfel. He's also spayed Nesta and Hafren, Cariad and at the beginning of his month 5 year old Iola, which is a much trickier operation). I don't know how many years back it is since he lost a boar in a neutering op, but it is an impressive number!
The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic
That's amazing. I have an amazing guinea pig vet that I go to by the name of Amir at Vets and Pets in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire. He'll be the one I will be using for Bakura as Northampton is sadly too far for me. He's neutered one of my boys before - Ryou. After speaking to Helen I've decided to take the risk and hope he'll be okay. He's a young fit boar I just lost all confidence after losing two so soon to one another.

That's amazing. I have an amazing guinea pig vet that I go to by the name of Amir at Vets and Pets in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire. He'll be the one I will be using for Bakura as Northampton is sadly too far for me. He's neutered one of my boys before - Ryou. After speaking to Helen I've decided to take the risk and hope he'll be okay. He's a young fit boar I just lost all confidence after losing two so soon to one another.

Best of luck! Simon doesn't use vetergesic for GA, which means that his piggies come round much easier and there are less post-op complications just from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back