• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

New Flooring Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louspiggs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my mum also keeps guinea pigs and in the top tier of her cage she uses wool as a flooring (knitted square pads). she take up the droppings everyday and washes a pad (about 10cm squared) and replaces it when they are a week old ir whenever they get peed on.
i was wondering if i could do the same except with the entire flooring of my cage. i currently use wood shavings but having a dosposable flooring for a large cage costs alot of money and generates alot of waste. ive considered fleece but the idea of having small knitted pads seems like less work as the whole floor doesnt need to be changed at once (although once a week i will completely change the pads). i plan to keep a shallow cat litter tray for hay so that they can still walk on something other than fabric, especially as all my hidies will have blankets and fleece bases. is this a good idea?

I'm not sure is knitted items are the best flooring for guinea pigs as their claws may get stuck in the loops.

i think i might try it as a mat for floor time and see of there is any issues with this. thanks for the heads up

Just as a side comment, I've been cautioned against the wood shavings as a flooring. I pledge allegiance to the paper stuff. Affordable, safe, sanitary, and relatively easy to clean. Also they won't gnaw on it, so just make sure they do have something to do so with lol. But yeah, if you load up the bottom of the cage with it, they tend to have a blast fluffing it up around themselves. Keep a vacuum handy.

Just as a side comment, I've been cautioned against the wood shavings as a flooring. I pledge allegiance to the paper stuff. Affordable, safe, sanitary, and relatively easy to clean. Also they won't gnaw on it, so just make sure they do have something to do so with lol. But yeah, if you load up the bottom of the cage with it, they tend to have a blast fluffing it up around themselves. Keep a vacuum handy.
this is why id prefer a different flooring. on the back of the packs i get it lists rodents and has a tick next to them for various things such as hay, straw, saw dust etc and it says that wood shavings are ok for guinea pigs but I'm not so sure after digging around on the internet

Yes, I've seen that on store packaging. I will admit, I myself am a paranoid pet owner, but I have had multiple experiences where people who work in pet stores are poorly educated in actual care of the animals of of the products they are just trying to sell. I much prefer getting on forums like this one to talk to other real-life owners, so I think you're being responsible by doing so! This forum has helped me a lot, and I'm still learning.

If you like the idea of flooring that is washable and in small sections, why not try fleece with a toweling (or other absorbent) backing.
You could easily make small squares of this, and then clean it in a similar way to your Mum.
My concerns with wool would be that pure wool is quite expensive, and not designed to be washed on a regular basis.
Cheap wool tends to have a high acrylic content, and offers no absorbency what so ever.
Plus I would be worried about them snagging a claw and panicking when I wasn't around to free them.

OK - I use a different beddings in different parts of my hutch. I use fleece in some parts. Aubiose is a great bedding if you can get it from a local pet supplies or equine supplier .

I love your ladder ! Where did you get it from ?

OK - I use a different beddings in different parts of my hutch. I use fleece in some parts. Aubiose is a great bedding if you can get it from a local pet supplies or equine supplier .

I love your ladder ! Where did you get it from ?
i got m ladder from ebay: PINE PLYWOOD REPLACEMENT RAMP LADDER + SIDES FOR C&C CORREX CAGE GUINEA PIG ETC
one of my piggies refuses to go up or down this ladder, which i why i keep one of the food bowls, hay and one of the water bottles on the bottom tier. my other piggie loves it though.

i got m ladder from ebay: PINE PLYWOOD REPLACEMENT RAMP LADDER + SIDES FOR C&C CORREX CAGE GUINEA PIG ETC
one of my piggies refuses to go up or down this ladder, which i why i keep one of the food bowls, hay and one of the water bottles on the bottom tier. my other piggie loves it though.

I'm going to get a thread together about ramps and would love to use your picture if I could .

Have you seen my pictures on treads (s) about ramp tunnels ?

Ramps

Climbing Skills

I'm going to get a thread together about ramps and would love to use your picture if I could .

Have you seen my pictures on treads (s) about ramp tunnels ?

Ramps

Climbing Skills
you can use my picture if you want! also, i might try the tunnel idea for my ramp to see if my piggie will give in. i really want just one area where the hay wont get thrown around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back