• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

New piggie scared of being picked up

AlvieOB

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi everone,
Yesterday I got two New Guinea pigs (my first ever) from the rescue. They are 8 month old Peruvian boys. One of them(Billy) is confortable being picked up out of the cage (a 4x2 C&C with loft) and cuddled. However, the other piggie, Pumpkin, doesn’t want to be picked up out the cage. I have managed to get him into an upturned carrot house and pick him up that way, but I can’t pick him up out the cage with my hands, he squeals and turns and runs. I just can’t manage to pick him up. Once he is out of the cage, he is fine, he is nice and relaxed when sitting/cuddling on my lap, and I can just about pick him up in floor time. He is nice and relaxed, enjoys sitting quietly in my lap in the cage, but hates being picked up out the cage. What can I do to help him and tame him a bit more?

PS I attached some cute pics of Pumpkin

Attachments

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Welcome to the forum
Those boys are stunning.
Be patient - they need time to settle into their new surroundings.
Guinea pigs are prey animals and rarely like being picked up.
Many will come to enjoy cuddles when they feel safe and secure but some piggies will never like being cuddled.
You have to give them time and get to know their own individual characters.
There are some wonderful information threads for new owners on the forum - sorry I can’t link them for you. I lack the tech skills.

Food is a great way of getting your boys to trust you - offer them food from your hand. When they associate you with good things they will come to trust you.
Talk to them constantly when you are near them - it doesn’t matter what about but this helps them to get to know your voice.

They are well worth the investment of time and patience. Enjoy your boys - guinea pigs are the best pets on the planet

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
I agree. Lots of patience. Give them time to get used to their new home and surroundings and all the noises that go with it. Once they have settled a little then start sitting by the cage and talking to them quietly, offering them nice tasty food so they start to associate you with the nice food. It takes time but its more than worth it when you gain their trust.

GuineaPigBeth

New Born Pup
I found the best way to bond with my new pig was food- particularly parsley, its his favourite! I kept him inside in a cage by himself and I would catch him and move him to this puppy pen I bought online; which was great because it gave him extra space. I found that it had a little door on the side, so I would sit on the floor and hold food up to him inside the playpen and it took a while for him to come to me at first, but slowly and surely he did. Then after a couple weeks of daily playpen time, he would climb out onto me when I opened the door and now he loves to come out onto me when I have food. I'm trying to do the same with my new baby pig, but he's out in the hutch and there are so many places for him to hide!
I also kept a towel by his cage that I would use when I picked him up, so it smelt only of him. After a while of using it, if I sat in front of his cage and put the towel on my lap, he would come and climb out onto it and he learned that the towel meant cuddle time (and food ;) ).

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Piggies are prey animals so being picked up goes against all instincts

@AlvieOB How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig is helpful - we still use a cosy technique at times and to be honest we used it for many years, I do tend to pick them up now with my hands - but it is honestly practice and that come with time, some piggies are squirmy so best to use cosy or house if that the case. Also remember picking up a piggy in a cosy or house is very stress free for them and for you so starts the lap time off well.

Kindness

Junior Guinea Pig
If you only got them yesterday it takes at least a week for them to settle in if not more. They will be getting used to the sounds, smells, routine etc. Bonding can take much longer or shorter x