• Saturday 8th August 8pm-10:30pm is the Forum Summer PRIDE virtual event! Everyone is welcome so please come along and join in the party!! More details HERE
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nibbler is lethargic, sitting in the corner, soft poops, lost half his weight almost....

retro

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Nibs is sick, clearly. I’m just trying to find out what that sickness is.

Usually he’s wheeking and one of the more lively and loud ones. He’s always had this airy squeak. Not quite a wheeze but it was his unique little squeak. Climbing on his house and being a curious boy. He houses with Newt, which...they’re like an old married couple. They can fuss sometimes but they get along swell in the end. They don’t stay in the same pigloo. But...that’s changed. Newt is right by Nibs side. Nibs will sit in a corner do the cage, not facing the wall, just his back side against the corner and Newt is there. Right next to him. Cuddling him and reassuring him. They even started sleeping in the same hidey. Newt knows what’s happening. And at this point, I’m just waiting to see...how long he has. I give him lots of love. That’s for sure. They’re both 2....so...yeah.

I just noticed today that nibs has started to have what I think is diarrhea, or really soft poop. Now, I did feed them celery yesterday so it could be that. But other than that and being very skinny (~600g) and just not active, I’m not sure what’s going on.

I was wondering if anyone had a good medicine for gas relief or bloating in Guinea pigs? I live in the US and don’t have little remedies in our stores.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You need to take him to a vet to find out what is going on. You should never use home remedies as you don’t know what you are treating without a vet diagnosis.
Is he eating ok? Take him off fresh food for now.

retro

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need to take him to a vet to find out what is going on. You should never use home remedies as you don’t know what you are treating without a vet diagnosis.
Is he eating ok? Take him off fresh food for now.
He eats just fine. He’s Loves his foods!

Vet is hard to find where I live. So is money. (Getting insurance on my piggies ASAP.)

Rest assured. I didn’t plan to use home remedies on him, I was just asking about an alternative in case ones of my babies gets bloat. That’s all!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We have lots of US based piggy owners so somebody may come along who can help with a vet recommendation, if you could add your state to your profile so somebody can assist more easily.

I would be very concerned if he is eating well but still losing weight together with the other symptoms. You should weigh daily (at the same time each day) given there are concerns, ensure he is eating plenty of hay (80% of their daily diet should be hay) but most importantly see a vet.

Again though, even with bloat, a guinea pig needs veterinary care as bloat can kill.

retro

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have lots of US based piggy owners so somebody may come along who can help with a vet recommendation, if you could add your state to your profile so somebody can assist more easily.

I would be very concerned if he is eating well but still losing weight together with the other symptoms. You should weigh daily (at the same time each day) given there are concerns, ensure he is eating plenty of hay (80% of their daily diet should be hay) but most importantly see a vet.

Again though, even with bloat, a guinea pig needs veterinary care as bloat can kill.
Yes I’m very aware.
I have 5 guinea pigs but I’ve never seen these symptoms. I’m always concerned. I’m from North Carolina.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’d make an appointment as soon as possible. Are you able to borrow some money from a relative or friend to cover the vet fees? Or, when you find a (exotic) vet ask them if they can offer a payment plan.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Nibs is sick, clearly. I’m just trying to find out what that sickness is.

Usually he’s wheeking and one of the more lively and loud ones. He’s always had this airy squeak. Not quite a wheeze but it was his unique little squeak. Climbing on his house and being a curious boy. He houses with Newt, which...they’re like an old married couple. They can fuss sometimes but they get along swell in the end. They don’t stay in the same pigloo. But...that’s changed. Newt is right by Nibs side. Nibs will sit in a corner do the cage, not facing the wall, just his back side against the corner and Newt is there. Right next to him. Cuddling him and reassuring him. They even started sleeping in the same hidey. Newt knows what’s happening. And at this point, I’m just waiting to see...how long he has. I give him lots of love. That’s for sure. They’re both 2....so...yeah.

I just noticed today that nibs has started to have what I think is diarrhea, or really soft poop. Now, I did feed them celery yesterday so it could be that. But other than that and being very skinny (~600g) and just not active, I’m not sure what’s going on.

I was wondering if anyone had a good medicine for gas relief or bloating in Guinea pigs? I live in the US and don’t have little remedies in our stores.
Hi!

Please have him vet checked as soon as possible. Lethargy, facing to the corner and not eating are red alarm signs! You guinea pig is seriously ill.

Here are our tips on what you can do if you cannot see a vet immediately as an emergency, but please note that they CANNOT replace a vet visit, an appropriate diagnosis and medication.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Bloat, GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

retro

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’d make an appointment as soon as possible. Are you able to borrow some money from a relative or friend to cover the vet fees? Or, when you find a (exotic) vet ask them if they can offer a payment plan.
I’m trying to work something out. Please hope for the best!

retro

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

Please have him vet checked as soon as possible. Lethargy, facing to the corner and not eating are red alarm signs! You guinea pig is seriously ill.

Here are our tips on what you can do if you cannot see a vet immediately as an emergency, but please note that they CANNOT replace a vet visit, an appropriate diagnosis and medication.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Bloat, GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Thanks, of course I’m not replacing. Just wanted the communities thoughts. :)