• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oh piggies, tramadol side effects? Blood blister on foot?

Emx93

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
*thankfully nothing that falls into the urgent or emergency category so I'm keeping a close eye*

Oh pigwigs don't you know we're on this thing called a lockdown and I can't take you to the vets for every little thing right now like Ir normally would

Princess (palliative--tumour) is currently having one of her not so great weeks, good news in that the higher tramadol dose means she isn't showing pain signs, bad news that her appetite hasn't been what it usually is and there's some weight loss (not overly unusual she's does yo yo a lot but the appetite decrease is very unusual--we spoke wwith the vets 2 weeks ago and upped her tramadol dose) that said she loved grass yesterday and has just been tucking into some oats after turning her nose up at the veg selection 🙄 also had mucky bum issues (also has arthritis, isn't cleaning her bits very well, had the odd stuck poos too) sometimes fluffy will help clean her bum but I usually have to wipe/ bum bath regularly so she won't get sore, anyways quick question I believe her tramadol dose is 20mg 3x a day in liquid form (100mg per ml she has 0.2ml) could the decrease in appetite (and subsequent slight poop issues, she is still pooping just a little less than usual) be a side effect? She's never really had side effects previously but she is a little sleepy. Her main pain sign is excessive drinking but she's gone a full swing with this and is now only drinking a very small amount per day *insert careful syringe watering here* weight loss is down from 1165g 2 weeks ago to 1125g last week to 1073g today 😔 I'm seeing her eat hay, definite interest in fresh grass, limited interest in dandilions and some interest in oats so she is still eating. Not much interest in veg/ forage which she normally goes mad for 😔 I'm noticing the hay pile not going down as much too so I think there's definite reduced appetite. Anyhow I'm wondering if its tramadol related, also if I pop a gross pic up of mucky bits if you guys could clarify that it is indeed she's not cleaning herself and not some yucky discharge it's a bit yucky 🙈 she's currently getting cleaned twice a day 😊

Marshmallow 🙄 looks like she's got a little blood blister on her foot which I'm keeping an eye on, anything in particular I need to watch for to check it's not getting infected? Other than keeping it clean is there anything I can do to help it heal? Piggies are bedded on vet bed

Thanks so much in advance guys 💖

Attachments

• IMG-20200409-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200409-WA0000.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20200331-WA0022~2.jpg
    IMG-20200331-WA0022~2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20200409-WA0001~3.jpg
    IMG-20200409-WA0001~3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200405_201900~2.jpg
    IMG_20200405_201900~2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
So sorry about your girlies @Emx93, yep a nightmare atm for vets! :doh:I’d guess the higher tramadol dose is having an effect on her tummy and appetite if she’s been ok up to that with her eating. Hope someone else can help, I’m a bit useless but hope they’re both ok :hug:xx

So sorry about your girlies @Emx93, yep a nightmare atm for vets! :doh:I’d guess the higher tramadol dose is having an effect on her tummy and appetite if she’s been ok up to that with her eating. Hope someone else can help, I’m a bit useless but hope they’re both ok :hug:xx
Thankyou I ended up calling the vets about princess awaiting a call back apparently the vet is working from home 😊 we have teardrop poop this morning 😔 xx

Aah bless her, hope the vet rings quickly. Try not to worry too much, tramadol is a strong med and could just be causing her issues, maybe she might need the dose adjusting a bit if she’s been ok on it all this time until the change. My Jess has been a nightmare with her last two lots of meds, really wreaked havoc with her tummy and went off all veg (apart from blinking lettuce, which didn’t help the dodgy poos much!). Hopefully the vet can help xx

Poor piggies, and poor you! The bum/lady bits photo looks like its worth an emergency or very prompt vet trip to me, I would get that looked at as soon as you can. The foot looks ok, bathe with saline and keep an eye on it, its not really in a weight bearing place so could be a random "stood on a thorn" thing or similar? Healing wheeks, these poorly piggies have not read the government lockdown letters! X

Poor piggies, and poor you! The bum/lady bits photo looks like its worth an emergency or very prompt vet trip to me, I would get that looked at as soon as you can. The foot looks ok, bathe with saline and keep an eye on it, its not really in a weight bearing place so could be a random "stood on a thorn" thing or similar? Healing wheeks, these poorly piggies have not read the government lockdown letters! X
Thankyou I've booked princess a telephone appointment and awaiting a call back (vet is working from home) 😊 some body gets sick at Easter every blinking year 🤦‍♀️

Getting off now but good luck with your vet call and I’ll pop on later to see how it went :)xx

We have rehydration, gut stimulants, recovery food, antibiotics, reduced tramadol 🤦‍♀️ come on little one, she's just taken all her meds though, and rehydration and recovery food and done a massive wee on me so fingers crossed! Vet said she was definitely dehydrated from the poop pics I sent her 💔

Aah bless her, she’s such a little angel taking so many meds! Hope she’s feeling a bit better now and the reduced tramadol dose still works for her (without causing other problems!). Get well soon gorgeous Princess xx And hope Marshmallow’s foot heals quickly xx

Thankyou so do I 💖 fluffy is sulking because she can tell something is up and is now on hunger strike too! Piggies! 😣

Yes please get scoffing! Getting concerned that the recovery food I put in there cage several hours ago hasn't been nibbled at 😔 come on girlie's 💖💖 fluffy had lost weight at yesterday's weigh in too but only 32g so I wasn't massively concerned I know she normally goes off it when she can tell somethings up with Princess 😕 nugget and marshmallow on the other hand had both gained so i knew marshmallows foot wasn't a huge concern at this time plus I mentioned it to the vet and she told me what to look out for 😊

They've munched a little hay, taken some syringe feeds but it's a struggle (very unusual for P, not u usual for fluffy she always hates syringes) fluffys had some veg, fluffy is drinking from the bottle, Princess is taking rehydration mix but it's taking time, poops still look dehydrated but we are getting there 🤞🤞 hoping we get p back to her old self soon, I got quality of life talked by the vet yesterday who feels if these meds don't pick her up we may be getting to the end of what we can do for her and it may be getting time, I'm hoping that's not the case we've had the conversation before and she always comes back round 🤞🤞 trying our very best for her 💖 hoping this is just an infection (vet said it could be from her bits so prescribed antibiotics as precautionary because she thinks it could also just be her not cleaning herself) come on little one 💖

Yeah it’ll take a bit of time with her only starting the meds yest, hopefully the dehydration not as bad now though, will take a little time to show with her poos. Keep up the hard work, sure once these meds kick in she’ll feel much better and you won’t have to worry so much :hug:
It took a few days for the meds to kick in with Jess’s infection down below a couple of months ago (she had a teeny bit of blood and discharge) but no problems since (touch wood) so hopefully the same for Princess xx

Yeah it’ll take a bit of time with her only starting the meds yest, hopefully the dehydration not as bad now though, will take a little time to show with her poos. Keep up the hard work, sure once these meds kick in she’ll feel much better and you won’t have to worry so much :hug:
It took a few days for the meds to kick in with Jess’s infection down below a couple of months ago (she had a teeny bit of blood and discharge) but no problems since (touch wood) so hopefully the same for Princess xx
Yes I'm not expecting miracles, I expect it to take some time, just weighed her and she's down another 45g in 24h despite the 2 hourly feeds/ watering 😭, she looks noticibly smaller, I can feel her ribs and her tumour feels even more prominent without so much chub around it 💔 she's still a good size but the smallest she's ever been at 1028g 2 weeks and 2 days ago she was 1160+ 😢 xx

Aah bless her, they lose weight so quickly sometimes it’s scary! Just keep trying to get as much as you can into her, I know it’s hard. Does she like sweet potato? Grated with some oats is a big favourite of my fussy old madam and helps with keeping a bit of weight on. And keep trying bits of grass to spark her appetite a bit too. Hopefully she’ll start feeling better very soon xx

Aah bless her, they lose weight so quickly sometimes it’s scary! Just keep trying to get as much as you can into her, I know it’s hard. Does she like sweet potato? Grated with some oats is a big favourite of my fussy old madam and helps with keeping a bit of weight on. And keep trying bits of grass to spark her appetite a bit too. Hopefully she’ll start feeling better very soon xx
She's rejecting the sweet potato, was eating oats now rejecting them, tried bran on advice frrom vet not interested, will still nibble hay and grass so I'm currently alternating syringe feeding and offering grass 🤞🤞 blooming cystitis (if it's that) xx

She’s definitely off bless her. Are you giving CC or pellets for her syringe food? Mine tend to hate CC after a while (Jess and RB Rupert wouldn’t touch it after years ago being syringed it) so I pretty much always use mashed pellets these days. Good she’s still nibbling at hay and grass though :) xx

Back