• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Older Guinea Pig getting along better

PipandOreo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, my guinea pigs have been bonded together since they were babies and they are now 5 and a half years old. Pip (long haired) has always liked her space and never liked Oreo (dark short haired) touching her. However recently they have started laying next to each other most of the time and are currently sharing a bed which has never ever happened without Pip freaking out! I have even seen Oreo grooming Pip a couple of times which I’ve never seen happen. They’ve never fought before, they just have little arguments like sisters. We suspect that Pip is deaf as she doesn’t react to sound at all and can jump if she doesn’t see us.

I was just wondering is anybody else has found that their pigs have got along better once they were older or if they know if it’s an indicator that somethings wrong?! They are both eating and otherwise acting normal. This could only be that they just want to sit in the spot where the other one is sitting because I’ve seen them do that before but they would push the other one out which they’re aren’t doing now.

Thank you! x

Attachments

• 4DF9790C-6621-447D-8563-C82505D9B258.jpeg
    4DF9790C-6621-447D-8563-C82505D9B258.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 8
One of our bossier, more dominant pigs definitely mellowed out with age. When she was younger she was way more invested in keeping her cagemate in line and would often chase them out of areas or rumblestrut or otherwise act dominant just to show them she was the boss. As she got older, she was a lot more chill about things and her cagemates 'got away' with more (although she was still definitely the boss.)

One of our bossier, more dominant pigs definitely mellowed out with age. When she was younger she was way more invested in keeping her cagemate in line and would often chase them out of areas or rumblestrut or otherwise act dominant just to show them she was the boss. As she got older, she was a lot more chill about things and her cagemates 'got away' with more (although she was still definitely the boss.)
Yes, glad to know she’s not the only one. She definitely the boss still but Oreo definitely sticks up for herself more now that Pip‘s more chilled out!

Hi, my guinea pigs have been bonded together since they were babies and they are now 5 and a half years old. Pip (long haired) has always liked her space and never liked Oreo (dark short haired) touching her. However recently they have started laying next to each other most of the time and are currently sharing a bed which has never ever happened without Pip freaking out! I have even seen Oreo grooming Pip a couple of times which I’ve never seen happen. They’ve never fought before, they just have little arguments like sisters. We suspect that Pip is deaf as she doesn’t react to sound at all and can jump if she doesn’t see us.

I was just wondering is anybody else has found that their pigs have got along better once they were older or if they know if it’s an indicator that somethings wrong?! They are both eating and otherwise acting normal. This could only be that they just want to sit in the spot where the other one is sitting because I’ve seen them do that before but they would push the other one out which they’re aren’t doing now.

Thank you! x
Aww they are stunning 😍

They definitely mellow with age! My biggest rebel (Mr Stark) still has a huge attitude, but he has finally settled down with his companion Thor (after Thor lost Loki and Stark lost Odin 🌈💔).
I thought Mr Big Attitude would end up alone forever and he and Thor definitely clashed when they were younger (definitely a failed bonding attempt). But as they’ve both aged (and after mum’s nervous attempt at bonding again), they get along really well now. They are best of buddies. Stark even lets Thor put him in his place now, though he will never admit to that (he still has his ego to maintain) 😂

your boys are stunning! :love: :love: :love:

They definitely mellow with age! My biggest rebel (Mr Stark) still has a huge attitude, but he has finally settled down with his companion Thor (after Thor lost Loki and Stark lost Odin 🌈💔).
I thought Mr Big Attitude would end up alone forever and he and Thor definitely clashed when they were younger (definitely a failed bonding attempt). But as they’ve both aged (and after mum’s nervous attempt at bonding again), they get along really well now. They are best of buddies. Stark even lets Thor put him in his place now, though he will never admit to that (he still has his ego to maintain) 😂

your boys are stunning! :love: :love: :love:
I’m loving the names a lot! This seems to be quite common then, I never knew seeing as these are my first pigs! Mr Stark seems quite similar to Pip, she’s got buckets of attitude both towards Oreo and myself sometimes! I‘ve also noticed Oreo putting Pip in her place sometimes and Pip takes it surprisingly well. They say thank you! 💗

Back