• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Older than we think?

MeganSambrook

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve posted on here a couple of times with regards to Bobby. We rescued him and were told by the family we have got him off that he was 10 months old (in December).

We next rescued Beans at 5 months old for a friend for him and they are just so different - Beans is lively and playful whereas Bob would rather just eat and sleep and is a lot slower in his movements. Either way it’s fine and I understand we all have different personalities.

I just worry that Bobby is older than we thought - not that it makes any difference, we would have taken him on at 5 years old or 5 months old. It’s just that I want to be prepared if he does not ‘last as long’ as we first expected, that it is nothing we have done and perhaps he was just older.

Is there any way of telling a pigs age?

I don’t think there is a way to tell a pigs age. Some pigs are more laid back than others so move around less. As long as they are eating, drinking and pooping as normals, and their weight remains stable, I wouldn’t worry. And pigs can die at any age - I lost a 2.5 year old boar last year very unexpectedly and have had another die overnight, possibly of a heart attack. Just enjoy the time you have with them.

Its very difficult to estimate age, sometimes the feet can give you a clue- older piggies tend to have thicker, tougher, more curved nails and tougher skin on their foot pads? But its far from definitive, our 3 year old boar still has soft pink little baby feet with cute little soft white claws!

It’s one of the biggest issues we have in rescues, not being able to age piggies properly. But in general we check for whether they are at their full skeletal size, the state of their nails, muscle around the shoulder area and muscle around the back end. In general if they are scrawny around the shoulder and/or back end they are usually quite advanced in years.

I think that Pretty Patsy is older than the 5 years they told me at the Rescue. They were told she was 5 by her previous owner who had had her for around 3 years. My other piggies are around 5 and they aren't as scrawny round the bum as Patsy is. I think she is nearer 6 or 6 and a half.

I know this won't help you know the age of your piggy but one our piggies, Milo, is not two yet and is the laziest boy ever. He just eats, sleeps and occasionally has a little rumble strut. We thought that he may have something wrong with him but the vet couldn't find anything and agreed that he is probably just lazy. 😃😃

I got Beatrice and Pepper as a rehome three three years ago. They were clearly very young and exactly the same age. Beatrice has always been my crazy adventurer, exploring, zooming and popcorning while Pepper, although happy, has never shown one popcorn or hint of excitement since the day she arrived. She pootles around and watches the world go by and if I hadn't seen her obvious young age when she arrived I would think, like you, that she was a much older pig. Even as a baby she was my little old lady! 20200429_153533.jpg

Back