• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Orla- Possible Fungal/ringworm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
It's been two weeks since we got Orla, I will attach picture below of what I found today. This patch is on her back, no other signs anywhere. She isn't itching and it's not sore looking etc. It is possibly fungal or ringworm or something else entirely? I am calling the VET first thing in the morning to book her in for tomorrow to get it looked at.

11141250_10155767328530363_4333213712831668113_n.jpg 11539794_10155767328030363_1155650008859103044_n.jpg 11745465_10155767328335363_9110757025461482943_n.jpg
11755862_10155767328765363_5162895397292482172_n.jpg

Good that you have booked her in. It looks like possible fungal (not necessarily ringworm) to me; not unusual in the wake of all this hot and often humid weather. But it is better to get a proper diagnosis. Please avoid any creams if it turns out to be fungal.

Please also note that any lab test usually only test for ringworm, but not other forms of fungal.

I agree that it appears to have the classic fungal presentation. The treatment I recommend is typed up elsewhere and I'm only on tablet at the moment but to summarise, you may end up with Surolan from the vet which is of some but limited use. Even if Surolan is applied to the worst affected area, full body treatment should be carried out e.g. once weekly baths in an anti fungal shampoo followed by possible Imaverol dip.

Weigh twice weekly also and make sure her mouth and droppings are normal and smell normal, any change in these and oral anti fungals may also be necessary.

Thank you @Laura-CCC4, I'll certainly remember those. She gets weighed weekly as it is, but I'll up it for now. Hoping the vets can fit my in. Luckily my practice has two very good cavy vets. Is it best for me to come home with just a dip instead of the Surolan? Thanks

I agree that it appears to have the classic fungal presentation. The treatment I recommend is typed up elsewhere and I'm only on tablet at the moment but to summarise, you may end up with Surolan from the vet which is of some but limited use. Even if Surolan is applied to the worst affected area, full body treatment should be carried out e.g. once weekly baths in an anti fungal shampoo followed by possible Imaverol dip.

Weigh twice weekly also and make sure her mouth and droppings are normal and smell normal, any change in these and oral anti fungals may also be necessary.

Any particular anti-fungal shampoo recommended Laura?

A dip is more beneficial in my experience. Surolan is for localised infection so won't help when there's likely to be a wider spread infection then an isolated one. Imaverol can be bought online without prescription, but better to get from vet so you know vet is onside with all treatment.

Brilliant, thank you. I will suggest that and hopefully come home with what is need. My vets are very open to discussing treatments though instead of just prescribing a 'one thing does all' kind of medication which may not work.

Any particular anti-fungal shampoo recommended Laura?
I use VetSect which isn't the strongest anti fungal shampoo. I've used Alphosyl in the past but understand it's no longer available - last time I checked they'd stopped selling it in all pharmacies and online. Nizoral works, as does T-Gel... But sometimes just plain old diluted povidone iodine (50/50 with a regular shampoo) is suitable too.

In other words there isn't necessarily a single best one. All I can say really is that I've tried all the above over the last few years and they've not done my pigs any harm. No active fungal infections to deal with though, at the moment my routine is VetSect and Fleaordie for both fungal and parasitic 'prevention'. :)

Thank you, I'll look some of them up. I know Gorgeous Guineas do one too, but I am not sure how theirs is :/

Manuka & Neem is their anti fungal one. Opinion is divided on how well that works -- just as much as opinion is divided on the ones I recommended. Unfortunately there's rarely an answer everyone agrees on so go with what you feel most comfortable with and the recommendations you trust more innately :)

I use VetSect which isn't the strongest anti fungal shampoo. I've used Alphosyl in the past but understand it's no longer available - last time I checked they'd stopped selling it in all pharmacies and online. Nizoral works, as does T-Gel... But sometimes just plain old diluted povidone iodine (50/50 with a regular shampoo) is suitable too.

In other words there isn't necessarily a single best one. All I can say really is that I've tried all the above over the last few years and they've not done my pigs any harm. No active fungal infections to deal with though, at the moment my routine is VetSect and Fleaordie for both fungal and parasitic 'prevention'. :)

We usually recommend imaverol/enilconazole dip, as we have made very good experiences with it. You can find more details for the fungal treatments that we recommend in our ringworm thread. I would not recommend vetsect; I have found imaverol much better, especially in delicate areas. Surolan is a decent all-purpose fungal shampoo; I have used it before I switched to imaverol a few years ago.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/

I need to get some for Snow, since he had a bout of mites he's done nothing but itch, the vet said he's all clear but his skin is very sensitive.. bless him, so when I spoke to Helen she said to try Alphosyl, which I'm going to do when I next get paid. I hope everything goes well when you take Orla to the vets Flutterby, please let us know how she gets on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back