• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Outdoor Time for Indoor Piggies?

doodlecountry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do any of you have indoor piggies that you bring outside for play time? I want to do that now that the weather is nicer but I would probably put the them on the pavement because I don’t have grass in the yard. I’m concerned about bugs or any kind of bacteria they aren’t exposed to harming them.

I personally dont take my indoor piggies outside... the garden has lots of cat visitors so my grass is no good and we have TONS of pigeons all over.. I can't take the stress lol!

Yes I do (we do have grass though). You could put down some puppy pads and fleece, or a plastic sheeting and something waterproof on top. That’s what I did when I put the boys on concrete once.

Just make sure you don’t leave them unattended and have something to cover the play pen/run. And make sure it’s warm enough for you to stand on with your feet.

Can they catch anything from being outside and having exposure to any kind of flying insects or anything like that? That's my main concern.

Can they catch anything from being outside and having exposure to any kind of flying insects or anything like that? That's my main concern.
You have to be careful of fly strike indoors and outdoors... I don't think they can be harmed by little garden bugs but like above- you can put a fleece or something down.

I put both my indoor piggies Finn and Lara outside in their metal cages with tops. When the weather is similar to indoor temperature, I move their cages outside with some snacks like cucumber, baby carrot, and etc. They enjoy their snacks and the outdoor breeze.

Is flystrike common in the US? I’m weary of bringing them outside now

I don’t think it’s ‘common’ but it can happen. It can also happen when they’re indoors. I would take them out, they will enjoy the breeze and new environment.

Back