• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Palative Care

Totts

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This time last year I had 3 piggies. The youngest (sow) died suddenly in the summer, and my boar passed away on boxing day after fighting what appeared to be a combination of polycystic kidney disease and arthritis in his spine for over a year.
I have the eldest girl left (Bailey) she is a rescue and aged somewhere in the region of 8yrs old. The poor old girl is on her own and may well be deaf and blind (she reacts to vibrations and light reliably, but everything else is hit and miss and you can easily spook her if you don't let her smell you) she went to the vets for persistent weight loss repeatedly last year, and after trying a few things was diagnosed with a respiratory disorder, most likely tumours in her lungs. She has since fought off mild pneumonia and remains happy and playful, but her weight has dropped off substantially and she has gone from nearly 1200g down to 700g, watching her waste away is incredibly painful, but the vets tell me that the pain relief is all they have for her.
Is there any official guidance on diets for piggies in their final weeks? I have her on Burgess critical care nuggets and she has oat hay in addition to her veggies and an increased amount of fruit from the norm, but I want to maximise her quality of life.

Hi. I am sorry for your losses. Watching an elderly, otherwise we'll pig get thinner and thinner is very very hard. I have very recently experienced it too. If they are eating well it is likely due to one of more of their organs starting to fail or their guts just not being able to absorb the nutrients they need.

I am not aware of any special diets and would just feed her a good diet. The piggy I lost was 7&1/2 and was identical to what you are describing. (he had multiple vet visits and was on permanent metacam too) He ate really well right up to the end and ate everything including loads of hay. I did up his veg and nuggets a little too and gave him more of his favourites. So long as she is eating hay as well I would give your piggy more of the things she likes best to help give her the best quality of life in the time she has left.

Syringe feeding critical care is an option too, it is very nutritious and may help extend her life a little bit but is unlikely to stop the weight loss. Again it comes down to quality of life and whether you feel it is helpful or just drawing out the inevitable.

So long as their appetite is normal and they are on pain relief I don't think there is much more we can do for piggies in these situations other than keep them warm and comfy. It does breaks your heart tho x

Sending you and your girl hugs and my very best wishes.
I agree totally with all of the above and can't add much more. Maybe try her on a few porridge oats, some members here add grated apple or carrot or mashed banana, my old boy prefers them plain though.

I’m so sorry, sounds like a piggy rollercoaster for you recently, massive hugs.
My Jess (right on my avatar) was 7 and a half when I had to make the horrible decision for her in August, she had very bad kidneys (palliative) as well as her arthritis in her back much worse, were diagnosed a couple of months before, she was deaf and had one eye (and one nipple!).
She fought on, was tiny at 740g+ compared to her bigger weight before. She had daily metacam for the kidneys and arthritis.
But to be honest her last couple of months I spoilt her rotten! She had daily porridge oats in the cage, used to come out from her two cagemates in the morning and evening for extra food (she didn’t need syringing as even though she was tiny still loved her grub!) like soaked pellets, grated sweet potato and oats, fruit a couple of times a week, a little bit of carrot or was a big fan of melon! (Despised raspberries, strawberries etc!)
Definitely agree, I just treated her more like a Queen than normal until she told me it was time! Heartbreaking as I had her from 7 weeks but just her being happy was the most important for me xx
I started a thread for Jess in the Photo section of the forum, lots of pics of her having fun and stuffing herself with munchies! Really helped me too, although it was hard to see her getting older and it catching up with her, now I think it really helped and I can look back at what a fighter she was! Xx
She had a 7 and a half year bday party too! x
0ECFC28B-9D68-4AAF-8FA1-332806145875.jpegD55A1A94-2BEB-42CE-9441-B2DF377D030A.jpeg

So sorry that you are in this situation.
My Jemimah was having palliative care last year.
I carried on feeding as normal.
True - she would be given little extras like carrot or apple on the basis that it couldn’t harm her anymore.
She was on Metacam for the last couple of weeks when she was beginning to be uncomfortable (tumour).
It’s not easy caring for a terminally ill piggy so do come here for support anytime you need it.
Holding you in my heart.

So sad to read about you losing two of your piggies last year and your remaining girl now on palliative care, sending hugs :hug:It’s a difficult time, I’ve just recently lost my beloved Ted who was a dental piggie and developed a mass on his right kidney. Sadly he only lasted a week before he was poorly again after being mis diagnosed by another vet for a UTI. We made the decision to have him PTS, a didn’t want him to suffer a slow and painful decline. I think you will feel when the time is right if you have to make this heartbreaking decision for her, it’s such a difficult journey knowing what to do for the best x

This time last year I had 3 piggies. The youngest (sow) died suddenly in the summer, and my boar passed away on boxing day after fighting what appeared to be a combination of polycystic kidney disease and arthritis in his spine for over a year.
I have the eldest girl left (Bailey) she is a rescue and aged somewhere in the region of 8yrs old. The poor old girl is on her own and may well be deaf and blind (she reacts to vibrations and light reliably, but everything else is hit and miss and you can easily spook her if you don't let her smell you) she went to the vets for persistent weight loss repeatedly last year, and after trying a few things was diagnosed with a respiratory disorder, most likely tumours in her lungs. She has since fought off mild pneumonia and remains happy and playful, but her weight has dropped off substantially and she has gone from nearly 1200g down to 700g, watching her waste away is incredibly painful, but the vets tell me that the pain relief is all they have for her.
Is there any official guidance on diets for piggies in their final weeks? I have her on Burgess critical care nuggets and she has oat hay in addition to her veggies and an increased amount of fruit from the norm, but I want to maximise her quality of life.

Hi!

HUGS

Just let them have what they love and support with extra feed, as much as they want to take. I would however recommend to stick to a mainly hay/grass based diet in order to keep the gut as stable as possible and not add tummy upsets to the list of woes.

Your grieving process starts the moment to you realise that the end is coming and that your time with a beloved one is limited and running out. Treasure every day she still has the will to live and to eat as a special gift. It is a bitter-sweet time, but please keep in mind that you can pack a lifetime's worth of love into just a few seconds. Do it like piggies - live in the day and savour every moment together. Concentrate on making each day special, so when the day comes, you can be sad but you are also left with a treasure trove of love and special memories that can never be taken from you. There is still some water in the glass, and you still have the power to flavour it. ;)

You may this guide here helpful in navigating this very difficult and taxing time: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Our full information on this tricky subject is in this link here (including help resources for yourself): Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

Her appetite is really good, and she hated been syringe fed when she had it for an upset tummy a couple years ago so I want to avoid it if I can (I think if her appetite declines then it will be time). I might try soaking a few pellets in water and see if she prefers that compared to having them dry.
She has never "talked" like my other pigs, instead when content she makes a raspy almost grunting sound as opposed to the typical squeak. The grunts only seem to stop when she falls asleep, so I think the painkiller is doing its job ok, and she still does zoomies during floor time (she plots out her route slowly first to check for obstacles).

Her appetite is really good, and she hated been syringe fed when she had it for an upset tummy a couple years ago so I want to avoid it if I can (I think if her appetite declines then it will be time). I might try soaking a few pellets in water and see if she prefers that compared to having them dry.
She has never "talked" like my other pigs, instead when content she makes a raspy almost grunting sound as opposed to the typical squeak. The grunts only seem to stop when she falls asleep, so I think the painkiller is doing its job ok, and she still does zoomies during floor time (she plots out her route slowly first to check for obstacles).
Bless her heart. ❤ 🐹
She is truly lucky to have a human like you. 😊
Wishing you and your piggy all the best. Take care.

Back