• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Peppa Is Having Surgery Tomorrow : (

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewpylew

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have just taken Peppa to my usual vets re her abcess which was lanced by a different vet on Monday. She said the best plan of action was to try to remove it under general anaesthetic tomorrow morning.

I am now beside myself and feel bad something will happen. Can't stop crying wondering if I will see my piggy again : (

She is 3 years and 10 months old, and apart from a small bladder infection last month has been fine. She's still eating and drinking normally and is her usual cheeky self.

I know there is a risk but I've done this to give her the best chance or have I made a big mistake x

Fingers crossed for you! Hope it goes well.. Try and stay positive for the piggie! Xx

I think the other vet just popped it. It's still quite big and this vet was surprised I wasn't given antibiotics. The abcess is under her chin. The vet tonight said there was no way I could try to help myself, and I was given some great advice on here but just couldn't do anything at home as it was hurting Peppa and upsetting me. Albeit surgery is invasive, it seems the best chance we've got :(

Good luck little Peppa! I'm sending healing vibes and have my fingers crossed everything goes well.

Sending lots of love and good luck for tomorrow x x

Wishing you luck! I know when Spike had her abscess under her chin, I had it done at the vet and then I had to flush it daily but even on antibiotics, it would flare up into infection often- it was a never ending battle and she hated the flushing out. I hope the surgery goes well for you!

The second vet that I took Toffee to said that often people can struggle for up to 3 months with draining/lancing/flushing abscesses. The surgical removal is a quicker process! Keep us informed - I will be thinking of you x

Thinking of you and Peppa today! It sounds like you're doing what's best for her x

Thanks everyone :) I've held out and called the vets about 1/2 hour ago and good news she got through the anaesthetic which is the part I was worried about. She is not out the woods yet they said as surgery is a lot for small animals. She was trying to look around so to me that's a good sign. She should be able to come home later but I've got to call at 4:30pm to check.

Has anyone got any post op advice? Should the piggies be kept together or seperate? I know I have to have them not on hay or sawdust so was planning to keep them in the run on the carpet they use for floor time or on some soft towels x

Ahh - just seen this thread. So pleased the op is over now - fingers crossed she makes a rapid recovery. We are all waiting to hear the results of the 4:30 phone call x

I am so glad that Peppa has made it through the surgery.

You may find this link helpful on post op care http://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Please do not be alarmed by the link I have provided as there is a lot of information there but it covers all surgery including more invasive operations.

Please bare in mind that most vets will give an injection of a painkiller such as metacam during surgery that usually last 24 to 48 hours but your vet should explain all this. But before you bring Peppa home, please make sure your vet prescribes you with a painkiller to bring home with you.

Your vet should prescribe an antibiotic to reduce the risk of infection but if your vet doesn't prescribe an antibiotic, ask the reason why.

Last edited:
I'm so glad! I was thinking of her all day! Vet bed or white towels is ideal for post op care, then you can see any bleeding or discharge. Good luck and thanks for letting us know.

Please prepare yourself that you may need to hand feed if Peppa is not eating well or much/is losing weight. Ask how soon after the op Peppa can have painkillers when you pick her up and see an out-of-hours asap vet if Peppa is very lethargic or is taking a turn for the worse. Keep an eye out ofr any swelling in the area and see your vet asap if that happens.
Weigh Peppa daily at the same time in the feeding cycle for the time being to control the food and water intake. The poos can look very funny for a day or two depending on how the amount of food and operation meds Peppa has been given today.

Here is our complete guide: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/

Fingers firmly crossed for a good and complete recovery!

I've just called the vets and Peppa is doing ok but not really eating yet which they say is fairly normal so they are going to try to hand feed her shortly. I am to call back again around 6pm to see if she can come home.

I think she had the op sometime around 10-10:30? So is this normal
The reluctance I eat or should I be worried x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back