• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pets at Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KatsCavies

Has anyone been to their local PAH lately? If so, do they still have their animals? A friend of mine went to hers yesterday and said that they had removed all their animals. Maybe it because its the run up to xmas and its to prevent people buying animals as xmas presents.
Anyone elses PAH still got their animals?

Kat

i went a week to him and it had louds of guinea pigs, it's probably because they got louds of complaints about they're animals being unhealthy and running up vet bills for their new owners.
I got one it had skin problems, mites, cold and was a male instead of a female, mine now have a health check but its the only reason i can think of, i will check mine tomorrow.

I was thinking the other day and I really feel that they should not stock animals at all after all how many times have you been there and they had around 20 rabbits and around 20 cavies or so? And if they have that number in every store and there is around 300 stores that is a lot of animals that could be neglected and bought in a rash decision :-\ The numbers are not exact by a long chalk as I don't know how many stores there are or the exact amount of rabbits for sale.

As some of you know I'm not anti-breeding or anti-showing; but I do feel that Pets at Home like most of you here should definetely not sale pets after all they have a big range of items anyway.

I doubt very much if its anything to do with not selling them for Xmas. More likely that they've all got mites and cant be sold yet. They have had that problem with their birds before in the one near me. Xmas and Easter are their best selling times! Any pet you buy from PAH can be checked over by their vet anyway and if it gets ill you can have it treated by their vet and they pay the bill. The one at Raynes Park London does anyway.

I'm not sure whether she meant they had removed all their animals, not just the rabbits and guinea pigs.

Kat

KatsCavies said:
Has anyone been to their local PAH lately? If so, do they still have their animals? A friend of mine went to hers yesterday and said that they had removed all their animals. Maybe it because its the run up to xmas and its to prevent people buying animals as xmas presents.
Anyone elses PAH still got their animals?

Kat

mum went a couple of days ago and theyve still got all the animals in Nottingham,but I do think PAH are crap,the staff are useless and have no idea about animals,when we got our first g-pigs from there they had mites etc,in fact we got g-pigs from there years ago and they had mites too,apart from the pets being damn expensive and the wrong sex when asked

piglover said:
I doubt very much if its anything to do with not selling them for Xmas. More likely that they've all got mites and cant be sold yet. They have had that problem with their birds before in the one near me. Xmas and Easter are their best selling times! Any pet you buy from PAH can be checked over by their vet anyway and if it gets ill you can have it treated by their vet and they pay the bill. The one at Raynes Park London does anyway.

They don't treat them for mites routinely at PAH. I've asked. Most of them do have mites when they are purchased and I've seen pigs there with an obvious fungal infection. There is absolutely NO stipulation in most stores that they can be checked over by their vet after purchase and they will hum and haw with regards to paying for treatment if a pig they sold was bought from a store that doesn't have a vet in it. They are a disgraceful excuse for a pet shop - and I have 5 of them within an hour of me to illustrate my point!

daftscotslass said:
piglover said:

They don't treat them for mites routinely at PAH. I've asked. Most of them do have mites when they are purchased and I've seen pigs there with an obvious fungal infection. There is absolutely NO stipulation in most stores that they can be checked over by their vet after purchase and they will hum and haw with regards to paying for treatment if a pig they sold was bought from a store that doesn't have a vet in it. They are a disgraceful excuse for a pet shop - and I have 5 of them within an hour of me to illustrate my point!

I totally agree,they are a disgrace for a pet shop,I'm sorry to say but the staff are so damn retarded,I would love to go and blond them with animal knowledge if I had some,mwahaha..and ask them loads of q's about certain animals,to see their faces would be hilarious

Well i bought 4 of my guinea's from pets at home and they were the sex they told me they were, they are all healthy and when i bought them the sales women kept me there for about an hour explaining everything I would ever need to know lol.

Cor that makes a change :)

I've also found it differs between stores, some keep pigs and buns together, some don't.... maybe it's all down to the incompetence of that particular stores management.

My pets at home are still selling animals. I must say I feel that PAH shouldn't sell animals cause many of the animals are just bought on a whim and then the kids get bored of them and get ignored. But some of the staff at my nearest PAH are great very informative and actually care about the animals where there are others who don't care at all. I think it depends on the management of the store are the people in themselves!

We bought our 'dwarf' bunny from PAH, he aint no dwarf i'l tell you that! A person we know had the same prob, told them what their rabbit was supposed to be and they told them dwarf ment the lop eared varity! I think not. >:(
Our Flopsey is from there, unfortunalty he is always down the vet for one thing or another but that is prob genetics. Both my piggies are from there, been fine until this dodgy food. Which was not from PAH by the way.
We have had a bad lot of fish once, they all got fin rot within about a week. All died. We went to a 'notcutts' after that. Now got some huge healthy fish. :)

yup we had fish that all died from there too,and we're def not impressed with the place

we;ve got one being built in Newport here anyday now it will be opening after reading about the problems you lot have had I think I will be keeping a very watchful eye on the place , these big pet shops are only in it for the money and should not be allowed to sell any type of animal even fish fish have feelings too,w e;ve got apond full of koi and goldfish and they are named and feed from my hand , these type pf places give all pet shops a bad name grrrrrrrrrrrr

I went to PAH last night to get some carefresh.

I always have a look at the piggies and the buns, last night a woman was looking at the piggies and buns, she asked a member of staff if it would be possible to put another boar in with her boar, the guy said that she would be better getting a rabbit to live with her guinea 98)

I seriously had to bite my tongue, so there will be some poor piggie in with a huge rabbit this morning.

It makes me so mad

darkest.dreaming said:
We bought our 'dwarf' bunny from PAH, he aint no dwarf i'l tell you that! A person we know had the same prob, told them what their rabbit was supposed to be and they told them dwarf ment the lop eared varity! I think not. >:(

There are only two sorts of dwarf rabbit- netherland dwarf and dwarf lop.
Netherlands are tiny but dwarf lops are actually really quite big rabbits. The 'dwarf' part in dwarf lop refers to the size of their ears- its very confusing, but you should have been told that. A lot of pet shops sell cross breeds.

RE, the whole pet shop thing. Not all the staff are bad, and those that are, its not their fault but the management's for not giving adequate training. I dont think pet shops should be allowed to sell any animals.

If you think your local pet shop is bad it is a good idea to write them a letter explaining the issues you have and why you will not be shopping there anymore. Also send a copy to the head office. My local P@H dont seem to understand the importance of hay to rabbits and pigs so Ive found some info which I'm going to print off and send them.

I've had piggies living with bunnys. We had 3 rabbits, 2 girls and a boy. The boy lived with my piggy Tiny, one of the girls lived with a few different ones. The other girl was very aggressive as she had been abused in the past, so she had to live on her own. She didn't like anyone really. Even humans. Poor girl must've gone through summat before.
imo i think they make great companions. Our bunny and guineas live separate, but all go out to play in the run together, my boys love flopsey and follow him round! I agree they must have the proper room and ours always had/have places only the piggies can go if they don't want to play with the bunnies.

My local PAH (Rotherham Parkgate) is still selling animals.. I wish they didn't though. It's so annoying in there, last time I was in their I saw a rabbit walking over a guinea pig nearly squishing it, the guinea pigs couldn't reach the water bottles, the water bottles were green, they had no place to hide, there was no food or hay, it's really sad :(

Jane said:
My local PAH (Rotherham Parkgate) is still selling animals.. I wish they didn't though. It's so annoying in there, last time I was in their I saw a rabbit walking over a guinea pig nearly squishing it, the guinea pigs couldn't reach the water bottles, the water bottles were green, they had no place to hide, there was no food or hay, it's really sad :(

Hey Jane thats my local too! We cant be that far away from each other :D
well i say local i think ive only been in there a couple of times i tend to pet shop in town.

REPORT THEM TO THE RSPCA! This infuriates me. Bunnies SHOULD NOT live with Guinea Pigs! ARRRRRGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back