• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Phantom Wheezy Chest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinnieandBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 1 year old sow has had recurrent wheezing when she breathes and it can be quite loud, sounds chesty. Have taken her to the vets numerous times and she has been treated for a uri but it seems to come on in the evening every now and again. I will sometimes hear her cough and when I pick her up, she is very obviously wheezy. She is still eating and her normal self but it is worrying me that she is obviously having trouble with her breathing when these biuts if it occur. I am unsure whether it could be food stuck or something or even an allergy? they are on fleece bedding. Any advice or thoughts would be great.

gizzy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a Sow named Bella that has had cronic breathing problems as long as l can remember , l think she
Was handed in to me like this, vet has tried everything with no lasting efect
The only thing that has any impact on here conition is a H.E.P.A air filter in my pig room, and even that only
Has a limertid efect, but it is better than nothing

Though like everythink always pass it past your vet first

Last edited:

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Would your vet consider a conscious xray to check for fluid around the heart or lungs and to see if the heart is enlarged? Even just for rule out purposes.

WinnieandBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She's now stopped again! I have covered the cage as just felt a bit of a draught round the back... could be chiller evenings? Moving back to my mums soon out of my apartment which is an old renovated building with v. draughty windows... may help.

I was wondering whether a heart issue was a possibility an X ray would definitely need to be the next step I think! So confusing. It does sound like a hooty wheezing, I must admit.

WinnieandBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was considering buying an air purifier for my bedroom! With HEPA filter as will be sharing a room with the pigs and although plenty of room (bought a loft bed so the Queens could have more floor space :luv:) so I will look into those a little further! Any recommendations?

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I have a Bionnaire one which is good (when I remember to change the filter).

Does the hooting every finish with a cough? does she sleep heavily? is there ever a blue tinge to her lips or nose?

WinnieandBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She sleeps much less heavily than her sister, I have never seen her in a deep sleep to be honest. She does sometimes end with a cough I guess, I hear the odd cough quite often but it may be once a day, if that. Will look into bionnaire, thank you :) xx

gizzy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you are thinking of getting a heper filter steer clear of the cheep and chefull ones that flood
The marcket , they may seem cheep but you will get a far better leval of filteration from one desined
For an office , you will see plenty on ebay, also cheqe the avalabilaty of replacement filters,
Though if l am not mistaken , a lot of them have washerable filters :tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.