• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Picky hay eater

Reaction score
So I switched to a different brand of hay (cheaper for more standlee hay), same hay type (timothy), but one of my boys kinda turns his nose up to it. Like I end up putting in scraps from the other brand which is almost gone for more bedding and he goes to eat that. So I want to know will his picky eating hinder him? Should I just buy the other hay? Or will he eat the new one when there is only that? Like how far is a picky eater willing to go when it comes to hay? Has anyone dealt with a picky hay guinea pig?

Give it a couple days eventually they will figure it out that that is what they are going to have but if they stop eating maybe mix the old and the new hay together that worked for me.

I'd be tempted also to do the mixing of the hay just until he gets used to the idea... they do need to eat lots of hay as it should make up about 80% of their diet and remember it also keeps their teeth down. Keep an eye on the poops which run a day or two behind the intake so if you think his eating has dropped off it might not show in the output for a day or so. It might also be an idea to weigh him (if you don't already) just to make sure he's not losing weight too. I'm sure my avatar boar (George) knows he's a bit fat and he'll leap straight off the scales like a chubby guy at diet class so weigh on the floor, not the table!
It'll probably been fine in a few days, especially if he sees his friend eating it.

I'd be tempted also to do the mixing of the hay just until he gets used to the idea... they do need to eat lots of hay as it should make up about 80% of their diet and remember it also keeps their teeth down. Keep an eye on the poops which run a day or two behind the intake so if you think his eating has dropped off it might not show in the output for a day or so. It might also be an idea to weigh him (if you don't already) just to make sure he's not losing weight too. I'm sure my avatar boar (George) knows he's a bit fat and he'll leap straight off the scales like a chubby guy at diet class so weigh on the floor, not the table!
It'll probably been fine in a few days, especially if he sees his friend eating it.
Got it! And I do weigh them on the floor, my big boy would jump from a skyscraper if it lead him to food so I know the feeling, lol.

Hay varies so it may simply be that theyll never like the new brand. They simply prefer the old one. I see it as no different to us preferring one brand of something over the other as it tastes nicer
if they don’t like the one you won’t be able to force them to. I’d stick with what you know they like so you don’t have the issues of reduced hay intake.
I used to buy a cheap pet shop hay, my piggies ate it but weren’t enthusiastic. I then switched to an oxbow hay and they loved it but if was expensive for such a small amount. I then found an online supplier that I could get my hay on subscription. They absolutely adore the subscription service hay and will not touch anything else. It’s so much nicer and they eat so much.

Hay varies so it may simply be that theyll never like the new brand. They simply prefer the old one. I see it as no different to us preferring one brand of something over the other as it tastes nicer
if they don’t like the one you won’t be able to force them to. I’d stick with what you know they like so you don’t have the issues of reduced hay intake.
I used to buy a cheap pet shop hay, my piggies ate it but weren’t enthusiastic. I then switched to an oxbow hay and they loved it but if was expensive for such a small amount. I then found an online supplier that I could get my hay on subscription. They absolutely adore the subscription service hay and will not touch anything else. It’s so much nicer and they eat so much.
I have been trying to look for a good service but unfortunately where I live to have it shipped would cost more then any hay I could buy for that price. Ok then ill probably just try and mix to get him used to the new stuff though if he still hates it i'll just switch back completely thanks for thr advice

I order a 50 pound box of Oxbow orchard hay through Amazon so it doesn't cost me anything. But I agree, there really isn't much for hay delivery for the US.

stock
I order a 50 pound box of Oxbow orchard hay through Amazon so it doesn't cost me anything. But I agree, there really isn't much for hay delivery for the US.
Same, I was about to buy the 50 lbs of the timothy hay but they all sold out so now I'm waiting to see when it comes back.

Back