• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggie safe wood pellet bedding

emyily

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all I've been struggling to find some inexpensive bedding for the kitchen area of my 2x4 C&C cage. I've been going through the 56L of Carefresh in about 2-3 weeks and it works really well but gets all over the fleece and is starting to get a bit pricey ($20/bag). I've read a few threads about cheap wood pellets being perfect for kitchen areas and was curious if this one I found on Menards would be suitable or not. Please any insight is helpful! https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...ood-pellets-40-lb/6408282/p-1444439109194.htm

Wouldn't they be abit hard and pointy for the piggys

I wouldn't use that stuff. It's for a fire

Wouldn't they be abit hard and pointy for the piggys

I've heard they work well they're pellets not shavings... and it's just for the area they eat in not their full cage (the rest is fleece). I just need something to absorb pee and help with odor.

Can you get auboise?

Not sure if they sell that in America :/ but also it seems messy... I'd prefer something with little mess, even Carefresh tends to stick to my fleece.

The item in the link is for fires it’s not pet bedding pellets. Pet bedding pellets are a very different item to the one you have linked.
I’m afraid most soft pet bedding items will stick to fleece to some extent. How about recycled/shredded cardboard? It’s called finacard here in the uk. It still sticks to fleece a little though but the pieces are big enough to pick off.

The item in the link is for fires it’s not pet bedding pellets. Pet bedding pellets are a very different item to the one you have linked.
I’m afraid most soft pet bedding items will stick to fleece to some extent. How about recycled/shredded cardboard? It’s called finacard here in the uk. It still sticks to fleece a little though but the pieces are big enough to pick off.

Hmm okay. This is the old thread I saw as reference before that people have had success with: Wood Pellets/Chips Wood Pellets.

Yes, but wood pellets for pets are totally different. I am going to attach a picture of the kind of thing you are looking for.
An item called back-2-nature is a pet bedding wood pellet but I don’t know what you can get in your location.

Attachments

• F789C6E0-6461-4510-A21C-F2AD54458158.jpeg
    F789C6E0-6461-4510-A21C-F2AD54458158.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 4
Yes, but wood pellets for pets are totally different. I am going to attach a picture of the kind of thing you are looking for.
An item called back-2-nature is a pet bedding wood pellet but I don’t know what you can get in your location.

Yes I know... just was looking for a cheaper solution. Back 2 Nature is pricey as well but I don't want to pay for bedding if I can find a cheaper solution that works just as well unless I'm absolutely sure it's not safe for my piggies. I may just end up sticking with only fleece. Thanks though!

Back