• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy Having Poop Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie Robbins

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My pig, that is 6 months old, is having issues pooping. I have noticed she is only producing 1/4 of amount of poop compared to her normal amount. She is not bloated, and doesn't have an impaction on her butt.

Every day she gets fresh lettuce and bell pepper slices.

I believe I am catching this early on, so what can I do to help her (preferably home remedies), also to prevent a vet visit?

Hey everyone!

My pig, that is 6 months old, is having issues pooping. I have noticed she is only producing 1/4 of amount of poop compared to her normal amount. She is not bloated, and doesn't have an impaction on her butt.

Every day she gets fresh lettuce and bell pepper slices.

I believe I am catching this early on, so what can I do to help her (preferably home remedies), also to prevent a vet visit?

Please be aware that 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot control and which is often the first food group that is dropped. Most often there is a painful condition at the bottom of any diminished food intake/weight loss. A quick swing in temperatures can also cause short term loss of appetite.

Please go on alert and switch from the regular once weekly weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time in the feeding cycle (ideally before breakfast or dinner) to monitor the actual food intake. Just watching a piggy chewing on crud or on a bit of veg can be very misleading.
If the weight loss surpasses 50g in 24 hours or in just a few days, you need start topping up with syringe feed and see a vet promptly during regular hours.
There are no home remedies for loss of appetite; unless the problem is found and properly adressed, you cannot cure a health problem on the cheap. Normal kitchen scales from the supermarket are enough to keep an eye on the weight.

Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please be aware that 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot control and which is often the first food group that is dropped. Most often there is a painful condition at the bottom of any diminished food intake/weight loss. A quick swing in temperatures can also cause short term loss of appetite.

Please go on alert and switch from the regular once weekly weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time in the feeding cycle (ideally before breakfast or dinner) to monitor the actual food intake. Just watching a piggy chewing on crud or on a bit of veg can be very misleading.
If the weight loss surpasses 50g in 24 hours or in just a few days, you need start topping up with syringe feed and see a vet promptly during regular hours.
There are no home remedies for loss of appetite; unless the problem is found and properly adressed, you cannot cure a health problem on the cheap. Normal kitchen scales from the supermarket are enough to keep an eye on the weight.

Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Thanks for the fast reply!

My piggy doesn't have a change in weight or a change in appetite. She is eating constantly and doesn't show any signs of discomfort. I have only noticed that she isn't pooping as much as she used to.

Thanks for the fast reply!

My piggy doesn't have a change in weight or a change in appetite. She is eating constantly and doesn't show any signs of discomfort. I have only noticed that she isn't pooping as much as she used to.

If she is still and behaving as normal and her weight is stable, then I would not worry. She may just be pooping in a different space?

She is litter box trained. I gave her a brand new potty, and she doesn't mess anywhere outside the potty. When I go to check, there are only a few pellets. Is there any fruit I can give her to help things move along?

I would definitely give her more variety, lettuce isn't the best piggy food but they sure like it. The best diet is a varied one! Maybe try some coriander, small amounts of parsley, celery (finely chopped) and the odd small chopped tomato? :)

You should only increase the amount of fibres, therefore hay and fresh grass (which is loved by piggies). The rare days when outside it is raining and I don't feel like going to cut the usual (huge) amount of grass I serve my piggies every day, I feed them with more vegs and the result is that their poo becomes little and few... especially when I serve them lettuce.
Try to take one piece of fresh poo in your fingers and split it in two parts..(.:vom:yes, I know, sorry...), good fibres are visible. I am not able to explain better, but fibres are made of dried filaments and are visible very well at the light.
Is it possible that you have changed the brand of hay and the piggie is not eating it?

I had no clue lettuce would do this! Nothing in their diet has changed except for an increased amount of lettuce... so I'll def cut that back!

So what I'm understanding, to help, is to increase the amount of hay and fresh grass given?

Lettuce has a lot of water but fibres are low... I would add that.. I also don't make a great poo in the morning if at dinner I substitute my plate of cooked green vegs with a salad :D (but lettuce sends me to the bathroom for weeing at 2 a.m.!:)))
If your piggie prefer the good fresh grass, it is safe, full of vitamins and fibres. I see a great difference of poo quality after eating much grass.
But it could be a wrong attempt. Of course keep your eyes very open.
These are my piggies eating their usual amount of grass
100_6730.JPG
sometimes even more...:))

I don't know whether lettuce would have caused a decrease in poos but an increase of fiber and less lettuce will probably be beneficial :)

I fed quite a bit of lettuce to begin with and my piggies are better without it regularly. I believe there are also small amounts of natural sedative in them? Which apparently can make them more subdued and potentially eat less hay. I don't know how much but either way, best in moderation like most foods :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back