• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

poor Terry isn't well! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Noticed over the last 2 days Terry is making weird little noises when he pees. Ive been watching him and it seems to be when he pees not poops! Hes drinking alot more (I'm refilling every day) he has always drank more than my others but never a full bottle in one day. Noticed to he looks depressed and keeps looking at me with sad little eyes! He's eating fine, still out when I'm back from work chattering at me cos I'm not quick enough! I put him on a white towel last night to have a look at his pee (he's always nice enough to pee on me!) and there was definatly some blood showing up :(

Ive rang the vets today and shes fully booked until sat morning. She said she will phone if she get a cancellation. Luckily i live/work in town so i can dive home for him if i get a call!

What can i do in the mean time to make him more comfortable? I read somewere cranberry juice in his water can help?

Pray fo rme it's a UTI ,as terrible as that sounds.

My poor little man :( :( :(

Just had a bit of a poke around and i cant feel any lumps or bumps and he didnt seem in any pain (just gave me dirties) Ive got him in a storage box now so i can get a pee sample to look at it properly. He's not impressed!

thought i'd update. Theres defo some blood in his pee looks a bit cloudy but cant relly tell because of the blood. :(he needs a bath now cos he's all soggy! He has some xeno on him will it wash away if i bath him?

Sorry to read about Terry. I'm not great with the advice but hope that the vet's get a cancellation and he gets seen to soon. Poor little mite x :)

I'm tempted to take him somewere else but she is really good with pigs and i dont wanna risk paying to find out another veet is rubbish. Sounds terrible that doesnt it! H seems ok in himself, just rustled the readigrass bag and he popcorned all over the place!

Yes I must admit I'd be tempted. There's definitely something not quite right if you're seeing blood. I guess it depends how uncomfortable he is when he wee's. You could always ring them and gage it from there...?

she said for the time being to give him some cranberry juice in his water it should make him a bit more comfortable and try giving hima bit of pinapple luckily he seems to love both!

The main thing is to make sure he's still urinating perhaps if the vet would agree you could take a urine sample to them if infection is present she could prescribe Anti-Biotics but she would probably say she would have to see the pig.

Not all stones are felt in the bladder on examination which is why an Xray is needed. Occasionally they can be felt though. Have you asked there protocol in Xrays will they do it without GA?

With boars it is possible the stone can get stuck in the penis, if this happens he needs a vet asap. Boars can pass stones to just look at Nibbles thread.

Barley water is good to, you boil barley for 30 - 40 minutes, sieve off. Leave the barley water to cool and offer it to him helps the bladder, you can Syringe if necessary but be careful not to aspirate him.

Good Luck.

Ps. Wilma had a potential stone and I had to wait 4 days until I could get off work to get to the vet the main thing is it doesn't block his penis. If this happens E-VET is needed.

Give him unsweetened cranberry juice (Ocean Wave light is most widely available) - as much as he will drink, dandelions (are mildly diuretic), plenty of water (or mixed with cranberry juice). The more you can flush the bladder, the more bacteria he can pee out, even if it is painful. Cranberry juice is also high in vitamin C.

It is probably UTI - this is the time of the year.

Xeno needs two days without bathing to work on him.

Give him unsweetened cranberry juice (Ocean Wave light is most widely available) - as much as he will drink, dandelions (are mildly diuretic), plenty of water (or mixed with cranberry juice). The more you can flush the bladder, the more bacteria he can pee out, even if it is painful. Cranberry juice is also high in vitamin C.

It is probably UTI - this is the time of the year.

Xeno needs two days without bathing to work on him.

Aye thats what I'm doing. He is still peeing normally but i did notice he doesnt seem to be in pain every time he goes. of course if i think he is going downhill rapidly i will rush him to the vet.

Thanks for the wise words.

Blood isn't always visable to the eye and Guinea Pig wee is often cloudy.

Don't forget to take a nice fresh sample to the vets with you when you go. The vet can test this for presence of blood and culture it also.
Get piggie to wee on a plastic suface such as an empty cage or bowl. Give them some wet leaves or cucmber to speed up the process then wait. Suck the wee up with a 1ml or 2ml syringe then decant into a speiciem bottle. Keep it in the fridge to keep it fresher. Don't mistake it for apple juice though! Let us know how you get on. Hope he gets well soon.

You can get them from any pharmacy. Boots were a little funny with me asking for them, but superdrug were fine. If you say it's for baby calpol that normally avoids 20 questions....

Or online at http://www.vetuk.co.uk/ Really fantastic delivery and service.

You can get them from any pharmacy. Boots were a little funny with me asking for them, but superdrug were fine. If you say it's for baby calpol that normally avoids 20 questions....

Or online at http://www.vetuk.co.uk/ Really fantastic delivery and service.

oooh ill try that cant order them though as i doubt they would be here for sat

If you PM me your address before 2pm tomorrow (thursday) I will put a couple of sterile ones in the post to arrive (hopefully) first class next day (ie friday)

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back