• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly Guinea Pig - Bite Wound Or Fungal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharna1992

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya
I haven't posted before so please let me know if I have posted in the right place. I recently had my auntie look after my guinea pigs for me and we just got them back and she did she thinks they had a fight as there was a bit of blood on her cheek. Now she has a black scab there but my boyfriend thinks it is spreading I need some help has anyone seen or heard of this before?
Thanks20170403_192432.jpg

@Sharna1992 The photo is a bit dark but it does resemble a bite mark.

Guinea pigs mouths aren't the cleanest of places so it's best to give the wound a clean as soon as possible.

As it's already scabbed over then I guess it happened a while ago? If so, not to worry. A vet visit would be best, just for them to check on how serious a bite it is, and to see if it's infected.

You can often smell the infection so give it a sniff. One of my boars had quite a nasty bite wound that I never even noticed until I got a whiff of it. His hair and skin was black so I didn't notice anything. The vet cleaned it for him and gave him some antibiotics.

Hi first yes this in the right place :) and second try not to worry. I would see a vet to know for sure what it is and if it is spreading and to get any medication or ointment that might clear it up. When it happened did your auntie clean the wound? And was it definitely a fight could it not be fungal?

Hi first yes this in the right place :) and second try not to worry. I would see a vet to know for sure what it is and if it is spreading and to get any medication or ointment that might clear it up. When it happened did your auntie clean the wound? And was it definitely a fight could it not be fungal?

My auntie said she cleaned the wound as soon as she saw it and made sure it stayed clean. Thank you for your advice

@Sharna1992 The photo is a bit dark but it does resemble a bite mark.

Guinea pigs mouths aren't the cleanest of places so it's best to give the wound a clean as soon as possible.

As it's already scabbed over then I guess it happened a while ago? If so, not to worry. A vet visit would be best, just for them to check on how serious a bite it is, and to see if it's infected.

You can often smell the infection so give it a sniff. One of my boars had quite a nasty bite wound that I never even noticed until I got a whiff of it. His hair and skin was black so I didn't notice anything. The vet cleaned it for him and gave him some antibiotics.

Thank you for your advice. I will defo give it a sniff tomorrow (would now but wouldn't dream of taking her away from her food haha!) Thanks again

for me, it looks like a bite, my experience of fungal is that it hasn't been that dark when it's gone crusty. Some good advice above, keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back