• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly Mavis - Blood in Urine

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Poor Mavis is passing bloody urine. We were away for a few days and I picked the piggies up from where they board with a white towel in the carrier and noticed the bloody urine when i got them home. By a process of elimination i worked out that it was coming from Mavis, she has also lost 70g in weight over a couple of weeks (missed a weekly weigh-in because we were away). We took her to the vets the next day (recommended exotics vet) and they diagnosed a urine infection. Unfortunately after 6 days on antibiotics (Marbocyl) and metacam she is still passing the occasional bloody wee. Thankfully she is eating ok and hasn't lost any further weight.

We had another vet appointment yesterday and an ultrasound was recommended. So today Mavis (plus Peggy and George) is at the vet to have an ultrasound. Hopefully, this will get to the bottom of what the problem is.

I am currently working in my home office (and piggy room) which is very quiet without the trio, even the skinny pigs seem to sense that something is wrong. I'm trying not to worry but it is very difficult waiting for the vet to call with an update. Typically we are going on holiday on Friday for a week.

Hopefully the antibiotics will clear it up if it is an infection. Is the urine still bloody? Sending lots of healing vibes to her x

Hopefully the antibiotics will clear it up if it is an infection. Is the urine still bloody? Sending lots of healing vibes to her x
Yes, she is still passing bloody urine. Not every time she pees now though.

Poor Mavis is passing bloody urine. We were away for a few days and I picked the piggies up from where they board with a white towel in the carrier and noticed the bloody urine when i got them home. By a process of elimination i worked out that it was coming from Mavis, she has also lost 70g in weight over a couple of weeks (missed a weekly weigh-in because we were away). We took her to the vets the next day (recommended exotics vet) and they diagnosed a urine infection. Unfortunately after 6 days on antibiotics (Marbocyl) and metacam she is still passing the occasional bloody wee. Thankfully she is eating ok and hasn't lost any further weight.

We had another vet appointment yesterday and an ultrasound was recommended. So today Mavis (plus Peggy and George) is at the vet to have an ultrasound. Hopefully, this will get to the bottom of what the problem is.

I am currently working in my home office (and piggy room) which is very quiet without the trio, even the skinny pigs seem to sense that something is wrong. I'm trying not to worry but it is very difficult waiting for the vet to call with an update. Typically we are going on holiday on Friday for a week.

Hi!

I am very sorry. The red urine is phorphyrine; clear blood can contain a surprising amount of blood without discolouring. The intense red is typical for the onset of a UTI or cystitis.

Your vets are working their way down the ladder of urinary tract issues from a common bacterial urine or bladder infection (where antibiotics will do the trick) to bladder stones and sludge (ultrasound or x-ray) to arriving by a default at a sterile non-bacterial recurring cystitis (IC) that has become a lot more common in guinea pigs over the last 15 years or so, which cannot be healed and only symptomatically treated until it finally and hopefully goes away on its own after some years rather than months.
Key to the treatment of IC is glucosamine (cystease etc).

I currently have an IC piggy myself, my Breila.

All the best!

Aw, poor Mavis, hope the vets goes well today and no problems found x

Not good news. Mavis has a mass in her bladder (probably cancerous). They can't operate but have said that pain relief and anti inflammatory drugs will keep her comfortable. The vet said it may be slow growing and they will do regular scans. I asked if she was suffering in any way and they said no. I am to take her back if she continues to lose weight or shows any other symptoms. Poor Mavis, she doesn't deserve this.

I'm still trying to digest this news.

@Wiebke is there anything positive I can do to help Mavis. Would giving her Cystease do any harm?

My heart goes out to you @YvonneBlue. That wasn’t what you expected or wanted to hear. Poor Mavis. I hope she is comfy xx

Cystease is glucosamine based so I can’t see it would do any harm. Holly loves hers.

Not good news. Mavis has a mass in her bladder (probably cancerous). They can't operate but have said that pain relief and anti inflammatory drugs will keep her comfortable. The vet said it may be slow growing and they will do regular scans. I asked if she was suffering in any way and they said no. I am to take her back if she continues to lose weight or shows any other symptoms. Poor Mavis, she doesn't deserve this.

I'm still trying to digest this news.

@Wiebke is there anything positive I can do to help Mavis. Would giving her Cystease do any harm?

BIG HUGS!

I am so sorry for the bad news.

Cystease is a food supplement and not a medication. You can give it safely.

Oh dear so sorry to hear this, must be such a shock. Hugs and healing wheeks, fingers and paws crossed it can be managed with medication for a good while yet x

So Mavis is home. She is happily eating her veggies. At least she doesn't understand that she is sick.

She has been prescribed Cerenia 0.5ml twice daily for 5 days, the vet tells me that this has had good results as an anti inflammatory in piggies. We also have dog Metacam at 0.4ml twice daily long term.

I have also ordered some Cystease. Does anyone know the dosage for guinea pigs?

I am so sorry! I just went through this with my Zelda. She was put on a daily dose of piroxicam. She just had another ultrasound and her bladder is perfect for now. Not saying it will do the same for you, but it's worth a shot!

I am so sorry! I just went through this with my Zelda. She was put on a daily dose of piroxicam. She just had another ultrasound and her bladder is perfect for now. Not saying it will do the same for you, but it's worth a shot!
Sorry for being a bit stupid but could you tell me what Piroxicam is?

Back