• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly Mavis - Blood in Urine

Sorry for being a bit stupid but could you tell me what Piroxicam is?
It is the medication they use to treat bladder tumors in dogs. Usually the type of bladder tumor guinea pigs get are the same type. It is a pain medication, anti inflammatory medication, and it has anti tumor properties so it can shrink or get rid of the tumor. They can flavor it however you want. It was like $40 for a 6 month supply. You are not stupid.

So Mavis is home. She is happily eating her veggies. At least she doesn't understand that she is sick.

She has been prescribed Cerenia 0.5ml twice daily for 5 days, the vet tells me that this has had good results as an anti inflammatory in piggies. We also have dog Metacam at 0.4ml twice daily long term.

I have also ordered some Cystease. Does anyone know the dosage for guinea pigs?

I capsule in 2 ml of water. Give whole capsule daily for initial period then half capsule every day thereafter. My top tip is that it’s a devil to mix. I put the powder in the bottom of a shot glass. Add 2 ml of water then leave for a few hours. After that it mixes better. I then draw up 2 x 1ml syringes of it and pop one in the fridge for the next day. Holly loves it. I assume it tastes sweet.

I capsule in 2 ml of water. Give whole capsule daily for initial period then half capsule every day thereafter. My top tip is that it’s a devil to mix. I put the powder in the bottom of a shot glass. Add 2 ml of water then leave for a few hours. After that it mixes better. I then draw up 2 x 1ml syringes of it and pop one in the fridge for the next day. Holly loves it. I assume it tastes sweet.
Thanks Vicki.

It is the medication they use to treat bladder tumors in dogs. Usually the type of bladder tumor guinea pigs get are the same type. It is a pain medication, anti inflammatory medication, and it has anti tumor properties so it can shrink or get rid of the tumor. They can flavor it however you want. It was like $40 for a 6 month supply. You are not stupid.
I will mention it to my vet tomorrow. Thank you.

So sorry for your news about Mavis.
What an awful shock for you.
I know that you will give her wonderful care and ensure she is comfortable and pain free for as long as she has.
Will be keeping you in my thoughts

Not good news. Mavis has a mass in her bladder (probably cancerous). They can't operate but have said that pain relief and anti inflammatory drugs will keep her comfortable. The vet said it may be slow growing and they will do regular scans. I asked if she was suffering in any way and they said no. I am to take her back if she continues to lose weight or shows any other symptoms. Poor Mavis, she doesn't deserve this.

I'm still trying to digest this news.

@Wiebke is there anything positive I can do to help Mavis. Would giving her Cystease do any harm?
I'm so sorry for your news :(

So sorry to hear about Mavis.
Sending you big hugs. l always think it worse for piggy parents as they know what's happening were as piggies just get on with life. Provided they are not in pain they just carry on. Little heroes. Hope Mavis is here for a long time yet and the meds help .xx

Sorry to see you've had bad news. Just one thing though, are they absolutely sure it is a tumour in the bladder? I have heard of about four piggies recently, who got that diagnosis after a scan, but then after further investigation, it was found that the tumour was uterine and not in the bladder. A spay has then sorted the problem out. Just wanted to say that, as it is something that I have heard of happening a few times.

Sorry to see you've had bad news. Just one thing though, are they absolutely sure it is a tumour in the bladder? I have heard of about four piggies recently, who got that diagnosis after a scan, but then after further investigation, it was found that the tumour was uterine and not in the bladder. A spay has then sorted the problem out. Just wanted to say that, as it is something that I have heard of happening a few times.
They seemed fairly certain it was in her bladder and said there was also swelling to the right horn of her uterus. I'm on holiday next week but maybe I should seek a second opinion when I get back.

They seemed fairly certain it was in her bladder and said there was also swelling to the right horn of her uterus. I'm on holiday next week but maybe I should seek a second opinion when I get back.
It might be worth getting a second opinion. A friend of mine got the same diagnosis for her guinea pig. She kept going back for further scans to see if it was growing. Then went to a different vet for a different issue. Mentioned the bladder tumour and they said they’re rare and carried out their own scan. Immediately diagnosed a uterine tumour, carried out a spay and the piggy is still fine two years later. I’ve since heard of many others being misdiagnosed, which is why I’ve mentioned it xx

Back