• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly Red Feet / Possible Allergy?

Bella123

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Took Flash to the vets yesterday, as one of his feet had a red patch on them, it appears that all of his feet according to the vet I saw are actually affected. The vet thinks it may be an allergy.

It's not the start of bumble foot as there has been no signs of infection or any injury to contribute. He also walks on them without trouble.

Fifi's feet are fine. There is nothing sharp and hay is checked though for sharp / stalky bits.

The bedding they currently use is fleece with towels underneath. These are washed at 80 degress and changed everyday.

The vet has concluded it to be a possible allergy as Fifi is showing no symptoms, so Flash maybe allergic to something in the bedding. Personally I don't think it is the fleece as I know going by others on the forum this is a low allergy option.

I have used up to yesterday ecover zero wasshing liquid, which is fragrance free, and the best I researched into for skin allergies. It's probably better the most non biological washing powders and highly recommended for sensitive skins.

The vet also told me to change to a more natural bedding from fleece to the possibilty of wood shavings. He also said it could possibly be the ecover zero even though it's for very sensitive skins. He suggested steam cleaning at a high temperature or to go without the ecover zero and wash at a high temperature.

I have decided to stop washing in ecover zero, and am now washing the fleece as advised. Hopefully that should help.

I'm currently washing his feet clean with a tiny bit of Gorgeous Guinea manuka and neem shampoo, before soaking each foot in salt water roughly 3 -5 minutes each. Then a final rinse with water.
I am also applying the GG F & M ointment. I have also got sudocrem and perfect paws just in case.

I was wondering if there are any thoughts about his feet, and what other treatments I could try?

Mind the spur on one of his feet, it doesn't seem to bother him and have been advised by vet to just leave well alone.

IMG_20170725_081634302.jpg IMG_20170725_081848921.jpg IMG_20170725_081756145_HDR.jpg

Hi there they dont look too bad to me , agree with your vet leave well enough alown, ! Using lotions and potions may serve to soften the skin, and make it more prone to problems!
Perhaps use a soft bedding like vet bed to make it softer to walk on

Hi,

Took Flash to the vets yesterday, as one of his feet had a red patch on them, it appears that all of his feet according to the vet I saw are actually affected. The vet thinks it may be an allergy.

It's not the start of bumble foot as there has been no signs of infection or any injury to contribute. He also walks on them without trouble.

Fifi's feet are fine. There is nothing sharp and hay is checked though for sharp / stalky bits.

The bedding they currently use is fleece with towels underneath. These are washed at 80 degress and changed everyday.

The vet has concluded it to be a possible allergy as Fifi is showing no symptoms, so Flash maybe allergic to something in the bedding. Personally I don't think it is the fleece as I know going by others on the forum this is a low allergy option.

I have used up to yesterday ecover zero wasshing liquid, which is fragrance free, and the best I researched into for skin allergies. It's probably better the most non biological washing powders and highly recommended for sensitive skins.

The vet also told me to change to a more natural bedding from fleece to the possibilty of wood shavings. He also said it could possibly be the ecover zero even though it's for very sensitive skins. He suggested steam cleaning at a high temperature or to go without the ecover zero and wash at a high temperature.

I have decided to stop washing in ecover zero, and am now washing the fleece as advised. Hopefully that should help.

I'm currently washing his feet clean with a tiny bit of Gorgeous Guinea manuka and neem shampoo, before soaking each foot in salt water roughly 3 -5 minutes each. Then a final rinse with water.
I am also applying the GG F & M ointment. I have also got sudocrem and perfect paws just in case.

I was wondering if there are any thoughts about his feet, and what other treatments I could try?

Mind the spur on one of his feet, it doesn't seem to bother him and have been advised by vet to just leave well alone.

View attachment 67178 View attachment 67179 View attachment 67180

Please do not make the mistake of overtreating feet with baths and creams, as that can cause more problems than it solves when the skin is becoming too soft. Your feet look normal to me, to be honest. They can be redder when your piggy is feeling hot.

If necessary, instead of washing your fleece at a high temperature daily, don't change as often, but see whether an extra rinse cycle without any detergent after the wash is not more effective.

Thanks for your replies.

I assumed the feet were normal that was my first thoughts, but it was the vet that convinced me that there might be an allergy going on. He seemed to be very certain of this and went into great detail to support his possible diagnosis. He didn't try and sell me anything, but suggested the salt water baths, e45 cream and changing the bedding to wood shavings.

I did trust his expertise due to the fact he is recommended in the vet
locator on this forum, as cavy savvy, so assumed he must know what he's talking about. However may be there is nothing wrong, may be I should trust my own observation more.

My vet completely agrees with gizzy.

I showed my vet my pink footed piggy whose feet were red. She said it's normal and not to use any creams as it opens the pores to let in more irritants. And it softens the skin when we don't want it soft.

I put a piece of Vetbed under the areas that he lays alot and the redness has gone down alot.

My vet completely agrees with gizzy.

I showed my vet my pink footed piggy whose feet were red. She said it's normal and not to use any creams as it opens the pores to let in more irritants. And it softens the skin when we don't want it soft.

I put a piece of Vetbed under the areas that he lays alot and the redness has gone down alot.

Thanks, I'm going to try the vet bed, as I already have some.

I was just wondering as my vet bed is cut up into corner pieces, it's left an 'edge' so to speak, the fleecy part is coming away slightly would the piggys start eating on that?

Would it be best to put the vet bed under the fleece or over or should I make fleece covers for them?

How would I get the vet bed to stay flat if it's curling upwards?

i would place vet bed over towels ,newpaper ,or other absorbent layer,i place vet bed under hidies ,over a all in one fleece cage liner.

You never know with pigs but mine have never eaten any.

It doesn't have to be Vetbed, you could use pieces of fleece and change them daily. It's just to try to keep the area extra clean and dry.

Thanks, I'm going to try the vet bed, as I already have some.

I was just wondering as my vet bed is cut up into corner pieces, it's left an 'edge' so to speak, the fleecy part is coming away slightly would the piggys start eating on that?

Hi, Bella 123 , I have never know a piggy chew or eat vet bed , the little monkies will have a go at most anything else , but not vet bed

Hi, Bella 123 , I have never know a piggy chew or eat vet bed , the little monkies will have a go at most anything else , lol , but not vet bed. , ,

Well I put the vet bed out, Fifi's definately shown approval by popcorning.. which she does do not that often.
In which case I must be onto a good thing..or them for that matter..:)) :))

Heres a ickle pic of approval by flash, mind the poops I think it's his way of saying thank you hooman,

Vet bed.jpg

Thanks everyone! Hope fully it should do the trick! Fingers crossed! :D

Back