• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Possible Fall Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone will correct if I'm wrong but l think they can go from one season to another. Especially if theys a boar close by.
you can't tell with 2 of mine, but the 3rd gets really bitchy & upsets everyone.
I've run into trouble with my boars, they got on brilliantly then they had a fallout After a month Ones neutered ones not. You can always tag Critter, sport_billy, maybe Adelle but I don't know if she's still tied up with Fudge.

you probably could put them together just make sure your near to separate them if they start.
The rumbling is dominance that's ok provided the one not doing the rumbling submits. But if you don't want to put them together that's fine, but you might need to get each one a friend.

You could set up a live camera maybe? That connects to your phone. Then, if you keep them together you can keep an eye on them while out. If they haven't drawn blood I wouldn't separate them, though I haven't seen a video to see how on the edge it actually is.

They have been together 2 months I think but have been bonded for 3. How would I know if they were in season? It was just constantly all the time for the past month x
We can tell because she turns into an evil monster! So different to how she is usually. And then it dies down again. I don't think they would constantly be in season, it sounds like maybe you have a bullying issue? I know from reading other posts the advice is often to separate and see if the pig that was being bullied perks up. That would suggest they are better off being separated.

Please watch plenty of bonding videos and read through the behaviour threads. Most of what you're describing is normal so separating could cause problems and they'll now have to go through all their dominance and hierarchy displays all over again which will be stressful for them as it will for you.

It's going to be helpful to read up so you have more information of what is okay and what's not okay in piggy language. What might look brutal to us is actually normal in piggy life. For example when a girl is in season (which someone in my herd normally is) there is chasing, humping, spraying, bum nipping, rumble strutting, squealing and teeth chattering. It sounds scary but it's just life to them. Some seasons aren't as bad as others so it's not as brutal but either way there is no need to separate with these behaviours especially if there are no wounds.

Nibbling each other's jaw/mouth is actually a sign of love and dominance I believe, if no wounds were made in the "biting" then it certainly isn't aggressive as far as I understand it.

Try to introduce them again, hopefully it's not too late. Please take some videos of their behaviour and show them on this thread so we can help too,

you probably could put them together just make sure your near to separate them if they start.
The rumbling is dominance that's ok provided the one not doing the rumbling submits. But if you don't want to put them together that's fine, but you might need to get each one a friend.
That's the thing the one not doing the rumbling either rumbles back or pounces on her lol

I think it's bullying Noodles back to life again now she is seperate! I've started doing lap time again now and she's loving it! She was to scared to come out of her hidey last week :/

It still might be possible to rebond them, however it could take some time. Take a look at our section on bonding/rebonding. With sows you have a fair chance it will work. I had to re-bond my well bonded trio of sows when the dominant sow would not accept back one of them after surgery.

I would start with a bonding bath. Bathing both piggies will start all smells afresh. You can do this safely in a bath. They should seek each other out whilst you are bathing them, for comfort. After you have dried them thoroughly you can put them in a run, set up away from the cage, with plenty of hay & veggies scattered around. Do not put any hidies in this run. You need to stand by with a towel, be ready to throw it over one if they start to fight. Do not try to separate them with bare hands as you may get bitten. You may see fairly dominant behaviour (chasing/humping/light nips on the rear ends) they can even sometimes make a puffing or hissing noise, teeth chattering. Very loud teeth clacking is a warning they may be about to fight, if they lunge at each other or draw blood then they probably won't go back to living together. You must then separate them. Otherwise you need to do this in the morning when you have time to watch them all day. If after about 8 hours they start to lie near each other & start to relax then you can put them in a thoroughly cleaned out C & C. Put two clean hidies in (ones with both ends open) & two of everything like bowls/beds. Rearrange the set up so it is not the same as before. If they are ok for an hour then they should be alright, don't separate them after that unless there is blood drawn.

That's OK you can't see everything, I tend to be in & out all day. So I don't take into account that others aren't.
Have you solved your problems?
I woke up this morning and Noodles drank loads eaten all her biscuits and most of her hay! I think maybe she felt threatened by Mo. So I am going to keep getting them out and stuff together and seperate so Noodle isn't as scared of me either! As this is a perfect time to get her more used to being handled. I haven't heard Noodle do a happy squeak since the first time I put her in with MoMo :( and she's doing it now that she's on her own. I will take a few videos today if I can or get my partner too later on today as I'm working till 8pm :( x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back