• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible URI

cocodapig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I got my guinea pig 4 days ago, she is roughly 5 weeks old, i noticed that she’s been sneezing today, should i be worried? her nose also seems to be wet.. like the start of a runny nose. its not bad though.. I'm worried. any advice ?

New piggies should always be vet checked. I would certainly have sneezing accompanied by a runny nose checked out

You say ‘pig’ not ‘pigs’, so I'm assuming you only have one piggy, so once you can be sure she is healthy, then do get her a friend as piggies are highly social and must never be kept alone, particularly as she is only a youngster, it’s vital she has another piggy wth her

I got my guinea pig 4 days ago, she is roughly 5 weeks old, i noticed that she’s been sneezing today, should i be worried? her nose also seems to be wet.. like the start of a runny nose. its not bad though.. I'm worried. any advice ?

Hi!

Please read these very helpful guide links here:
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs

Do you have air conditioning on in the room? This can so cause the symptoms, especially in dry air. it should never be fully aimed or too close to a cage.

New and especially young guinea pigs can react strongly to the complex smells and new hay brand in their first home coming from a comparatively restricted environment at the commercial supply mass breeder's and then at the back/front of the shop. However, you need to a vet's hands-on examination of the airways to judge whether the sneezing could be related to a respiratory infection or could be a reaction their new complex environment because untreated URI can kill or permanently damage. If in the least doubt, a vet will prescribe an antibiotic for that reason.
You can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop. You can find how it is handled in carious countries in the first green link at the top.

Back