• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post-neuter Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can't seem to see much on this kind of issue anywhere, a male after neuter leaking urine? I'm fairly certain that the vet who did the operation was pretty incompetent with piggies but unfortunately the piggy isn't in my ownership right now.

I'm wondering what they messed up in there during the operation, when he first came back he was leaking urine from his anus and has had discharge from it ever since.

It won't be long before I get my hands on him, not sure what to do til then if I can do anything. Has anyone heard of this before? If so, know if it would need surgery?

It is not something I have heard of after a neuter either, maybe the stress of the op has caused a UTI? or he has some sludge build up? I think whoever the pig is with currently needs to keep them as comfortable as possible, so daily bum baths and put some kind of barrier cream around his bits to prevent urine scald. How long until he is coming to you? is he not your pig? Do you know if he is on any pain relief?

Thanks guys! :)

No he's not mine... Yet. He's not on any pain relief, and last I saw him he's not got any urine scalds or anything like that. The vets that did his operation gave him nothing when he came back, apparently the shot of pain meds before the operation was enough and no antibiotics for after :(

I did wonder if it was a urine infection but he did have a week odds worth of baytril so I don't know?

I'm hoping to be getting him home with me in about 2 weeks, and when I do I'll be taking him to my vets immediately. I just don't really know what to ask them to look for?

Some UTIs are resistant to Baytril so would be worth him having a course of Septrin/Sulphatrim.

Okay thanks! I'll see what I can do in the meantime, I just can't wait to get him home, to my vets and off shavings! I don't think the shavings have been helping his man parts one bit!

They won't be. Also get them to keep an eye out for crustiness around his man parts. When Maud had sediment in her urine, it was quite crusty around her bits.

Thank you, I'm hoping it's not sediment but I'm looking into switching to better nuggets (grainless and low calcium) and trying to figure out the mine field of low calcium veg. Hopefully that'll help both him and the girls for the future.

Hopefully if there is any sign of crustiness or anything they'll take him back to the vet.

I would definately say the vet was incompetent as well, I wouldn't have thought he could wait 2 weeks for a vet. Sounds like this little one is very messed up inside he could end up very ill. I would have said he probably needs to see the vet asap. Could you not have him early & get him sorted out. Keeping my fingers crossed for the little man. If it's sludge or a UTI it's easily solved but if its the latter he needs antibiotics. Try & get him to the vets but not the one that's brainless.

I would definately say the vet was incompetent as well, I wouldn't have thought he could wait 2 weeks for a vet. Sounds like this little one is very messed up inside he could end up very ill. I would have said he probably needs to see the vet asap. Could you not have him early & get him sorted out. Keeping my fingers crossed for the little man. If it's sludge or a UTI it's easily solved but if its the latter he needs antibiotics. Try & get him to the vets but not the one that's brainless.

Yes I have my own vets who are very good, he will be going to them as soon as I get him.

I wish I could bring him home, weeks ago! He's been to two different vets now but they don't seem to see a problem with him :( I don't think they were particularly small animal minded.

Hmmm well I hope everything goes well for you Claire, & the little fellow picks up.
As soon as you swop to the new pellets let me know if they are any good or if your piggies like them, I'm thinking of swapping.

Right so I'm picking him up a week Friday, I've been to my vets (for poor little Tonks, she's got suspected cystitis :( big shock to see blood in her urine!) so I told my vet about my soon-to-be piggy Iggy and she's quite concerned too. I'm hoping to get him to the vets before I even get him home and the previous vet notes.

Went to see him today to give him a little blanky so his transition to me is easier, he was so happy to see me! Got loads of chin kisses from him, he perked right up after a cuddle. I'm still worried about him but I can see the finish line now, he's almost home.

Now to prepare for some more vet bills after the £70 today! Lucky I get paid soon so I can replenish the vet find a bit more :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back