• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post-op Advice

Y2Craig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've used this forum a lot for advice but it's my first time posting!

I have a pig going in for a small operation to remove a skin growth on his underside on Thursday. It's been recommended I seperate him from his cagemate for a couple of days afterwards for recuperation. Plan is to keep the two cages against each other so they can stay in contact, but I was wondering if anyone had advice for putting them back in the same cage afterwards.

Any general post-op advice would be welcome too!

Hi folks, I've used this forum a lot for advice but it's my first time posting!

I have a pig going in for a small operation to remove a skin growth on his underside on Thursday. It's been recommended I seperate him from his cagemate for a couple of days afterwards for recuperation. Plan is to keep the two cages against each other so they can stay in contact, but I was wondering if anyone had advice for putting them back in the same cage afterwards.

Any general post-op advice would be welcome too!

Here is our post-op care advice: Tips For Post-operative Care

Please re-introduce any piggies that have been temporarily separated on neutral ground or while they have their normal roaming time and not in their cage. Ideally you rub a rag over both of them, so body scents mingle before you let them meet each other. Two days will not break the bond, but a perceived issue and strange medical smells can cause problems with dominance or acceptance in some pairings.

Thanks, that's really helpful :)

I'm hoping there won't be problems with bringing them back together, they generally get on fine. Dean, who's getting the operation, tends to be the dominant one though, so hopefully Seth doesn't try to take advantage.

Just a quick update, Dean got on fine and is now perkier than before, the lump must have been more uncomfortable than I thought! Letting him play with Seth daily but waiting to put them back in the same cage at the weekend after his final check-up and when there's someone home to keep an eye on them.

Just a quick update, Dean got on fine and is now perkier than before, the lump must have been more uncomfortable than I thought! Letting him play with Seth daily but waiting to put them back in the same cage at the weekend after his final check-up and when there's someone home to keep an eye on them.

Please always stage any re-introductions in a neutral area, especially after more than two days!
You may find the tips in these two guides very helpful:
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Back