• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post pregnancy prolapse. Please help

Aj94

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My beautiful ginny has just had 2 stillborns about 5 days ago and has now developed prolapse. About 4-6 days before giving birth she began having diarrhoea. I put her on a hay based diet in hopes it would help to solidify her poops but sadly nothing has worked and she has now prolapsed. Ive been out of work for a couple months now and dont have the funds to take her to the vet. If anyone has any information on what i can do please help.
My partner has offered to put her down for me but i want to see if theres any hope for her 1st.

I am not sure where you are located but please, please get her to a vet.
In the UK the PDSA will offer reduced cost treatment for people on low incomes, ad I am sure the US has similar programmes.
If nothing else she needs to be put to sleep peacefully and humanely by a qualified vet.
This really will cost very little, and she does not deserve to suffer.
I hate to even imagine how your partner plans to put her to sleep.

If she came to your pregnant from a pet store then the pet shop should cover the cost of this as it was as a direct result of their negligence.
Keep all recipts from any treatment she receives.

Call a local vet as soon as possible and at least ask how much they would charge.
Doing nothing is causing her to suffer and that isn't fair to her.

Hello and welcome

Please don't have her pts. There is hope for her but she needs to see a vet for treatment. If your partner has offered to pay to have her pts, would he pay for her consultation to save her instead?

My partners friends with a vet and can arrange for the green dream to be brought to us. I live in remote australia and it is over 1.5hrs drive for me to get her to a vet and judging by how quickly and large the prolapse has appeared i fear theres nothing that can be done for her. I have her indoors with me now and have bathed her as to keep it as clean as possible and am doing everything I'm capable of to keep her comfortable. My heart is truely broken as she has been with me for 6 years now.

After spending hours looking on as many forum pages as possible and seeing the size of others prolapse that have pics that are less than half the size of my darlings, ive found that a large amount of piggies sadly pass after surgery. I dont want her to suffer but i couldnt bring myself to make the decision on my own. Hence joining 2 forum sites to see if theres any hope

It is a difficult situation, but the only way you will be able to know for sure if there is any chance of saving her would be to take her to a vet.
We simply can't diagnose anything or predict the chances of the outcome based on a description.

An experienced piggy vet may well be able to save her, but what are the chances of you being able to find an experienced exotics vet that you can realistically get her to? I had a guinea pig who suffered with this same problem (she was a rescue and ex-breeder pig) and she was saved, but I had access to a good vet and it required a lot of follw up care for many weeks.

If there is no chance of getting her professional help in the immediate future, than I think you need to consider putting her needs before your own.
I am truly sorry you find yourself in such a difficult situation, but please don't allow her to suffer.

My beautiful ginny has just had 2 stillborns about 5 days ago and has now developed prolapse. About 4-6 days before giving birth she began having diarrhoea. I put her on a hay based diet in hopes it would help to solidify her poops but sadly nothing has worked and she has now prolapsed. Ive been out of work for a couple months now and dont have the funds to take her to the vet. If anyone has any information on what i can do please help.
My partner has offered to put her down for me but i want to see if theres any hope for her 1st.

Unfortunately your girl needs to see a vet ASAP as an emergency. The sooner she can be treated the greater the changes that the prolapse can be put back and stay up; if left too long it will swell up. :(

Please do not let her suffer unnecessarily, but make sure that she has a kind death, ideally by a gentle euthanasia at the vet's.

Please please please try to get her to a vet ASAP! She can’t be left like this; whether she has to go to sleep peacefully with help from the vet or can have treatment to possibly save her life.
She will be in a lot of pain. If you can’t then you could try contacting a local rescue to take her in and take her to a vet.
And I hope I misunderstood when you mentioned your partner putting her to sleep themself; PLEASE don’t try anything like this as I could so easily go wrong.
Good luck to you and your piggy!

Sorry you find yourself in such a difficult situation.
I can’t add to the advice already given but just wanted to add support

I'm sorry for the situation you and Ginny are in. Unfortunately, guinea pigs are prone to pregnancy complications. I can only second what everyone else has said... the sooner she can be seen and assessed, the better. Prolapses sometimes can be repaired, or a spay can be performed, but the risk of infection, etc. goes up the longer any internal organ is outside the body, so the sooner she is seen the better her chances.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, but she definitely needs a vet, whether it is to help her or peacefully send her over rainbow bridge.

Back