• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Potential Dental Issue

Update:
Little is doing well. He’s eating his hay, sleeping laying down every time he sleeps (which he had stopped doing) and he’s back to himself. He walks around the cage making the cute little bubbly noise which tells me he’s happy.
Yesterday was the last day of giving him tramadol and Zithromax. We still have a little left of both but Little’s poos have been quite bad. They were alright till he had some parsley and then went downhill and haven’t got right, even with a probiotic, so we’ve decided to stop those medications as it’s been over two weeks since his operation. We’re still going to give him metacam for a little longer.
My mum and I had a trip booked to leave tomorrow but we cancelled it just after Little’s operation as we didn’t want to leave him which is a shame but also we just needed to make sure he was going to be okay.
Here’s hoping Little is better now and he can live the rest of his life in peace. He will be six in a few months so he could have anywhere from a few months to a few years left. He deserves a bit of happiness and good health for a while as it’s been a hard 6/7 months for him.
1A52F9DD-6952-4B87-9256-00E264D91303.jpeg
57F69C49-EA01-43B5-85AE-13ED6A29DC02.jpeg
398BD457-0875-4D90-94EC-68B3672BAB26.jpeg
(Also I think his head tilt won’t be going away any time soon!)

We are so glad too :) I hope Ted is still managing okay, especially now he’s with the girls xx
He is doing very well, we’ve had him back almost a month now and he’s holding his weight and tipped 982gms last night, so really pleased. Back to Simon along with Mikey from Devon on Tuesday. They both are on twice monthly dentals. It’s a long haul but it’s worth it to see him so well. He’s loving the ladies! 🥰

Update:
Simon had previously said that Little’s top incisors grew at an astronomical rate - needed to be filed every two weeks. He had hoped that they would slow down and Little would only need an incisor burr every 4 weeks. We’re just over two weeks since the op and his teeth are so long. We hadn’t realised how fast they had grown, they don’t seem to be too far from his gum at the bottom!
We were planning on seeing Ellie for any incisor burrs, but she isn’t back until the start of next month and Little needs them burring ASAP.
My Nan has been taking me to see Simon but she was quite adamant that the last time we went would be the last time for a long time. I don’t know of anyone else local who does conscious incisor burrs on guinea pigs but Ellie, so it’s all a bit difficult and stressful.
On top of that, it seems Little will need this doing twice monthly which comes to around £70 a month. I’m just so devastated about all of this. I’m unemployed and have never been employed as the places that actually want to employ people with autism are few and far between (I also suffer with two forms of chronic pain which jobs don’t take into account but this is extremely debilitating). I also don’t get disability money as they don’t offer it out for this. I don’t get job seekers allowance either as the jobs they offer can’t be managed around a students schedule anyway. I’ve been relying on my student loan to pay for everything, including my living expenses like rent and food. I’m just really down about it all as it doesn’t seem feasible to pay £70 a month for this on top of the metacam for Little and also Peanut’s IC, along with the cystease for him either. It seems that any and all of my savings will be used just for this for the rest of Little’s life. It’s a horrible feeling to be so worried about finances. I mean obviously I’ll find to make it work as Little is my family, but it’s so hard.
I know Simon said that he could do an operation to remove Little’s top teeth if necessary but he also said he hasn’t done this many times. I imagine this would cost £600-700ish? I don’t want to put Little in a bad position because of my own financial issues. I know he’s better with two teeth than none, I don’t know how well piggies cope without any incisors.

I also don’t get disability money as they don’t offer it out for this.
I'm so glad to read that Little is improving, but sorry about your money worries :(. Do you get PIP (Personal Independence Payment)? I am autistic also, currently unemployed (due to current severe illness) and receive PIP. PIP is a non-means-tested disability benefit, so would not affect your student loan and is not connected to JSA, so you can receive PIP without having to apply for JSA. If I can help in any way to advise the process I went through to receive PIP, or help with this at all, please feel free to message me!

lm sorry you are having a difficult time.ive got some cystease that ive do not need.i could post them to you .:hug:
Oh really? If you could that would be amazing! :)

I'm so glad to read that Little is improving, but sorry about your money worries :(. Do you get PIP (Personal Independence Payment)? I am autistic also, currently unemployed (due to current severe illness) and receive PIP. PIP is a non-means-tested disability benefit, so would not affect your student loan and is not connected to JSA, so you can receive PIP without having to apply for JSA. If I can help in any way to advise the process I went through to receive PIP, or help with this at all, please feel free to message me!
Thank you! I don’t receive PIP, no. I’m not sure I’d be eligible as i don’t have mobility issues and my ‘daily living’ isn’t really affected in terms of being able to dress myself, eat for myself, wash/bathe myself etc. Every time one of the piggies has a problem, I feel my heart sink because of money problems. It’s so exhausting, I feel like I'm going to have these problems forever at this rate.

I’m not sure I’d be eligible as i don’t have mobility issues and my ‘daily living’ isn’t really affected in terms of being able to dress myself, eat for myself, wash/bathe myself etc.
I do not have mobility issues or learning difficulties either and can complete daily living tasks fully independently ... I receive PIP due to extreme anxiety and associated difficulties with work, travelling alone, needing more assistance/reassurance from family members when unexpected events triggers distress (to name some of the difficulties I experience). I am very happy to chat further as I find it so sad that so many autistic people miss out on PIP when they are entitled to it and consequently face extra financial stress ... it's considering the questions in their wider sense that is so important!

I do not have mobility issues or learning difficulties either and can complete daily living tasks fully independently ... I receive PIP due to extreme anxiety and associated difficulties with work, travelling alone, needing more assistance/reassurance from family members when unexpected events triggers distress (to name some of the difficulties I experience). I am very happy to chat further as I find it so sad that so many autistic people miss out on PIP when they are entitled to it and consequently face extra financial stress ... it's considering the questions in their wider sense that is so important!
Thank you, I’ll look into it more :)

PIP is not based on just daily living activities.how it affects you emotionally and traveling are just as inportant.i would apply you have nothing to loose.How is little today ?
Little is okay, his teeth need sorting ASAP. Been ringing around but nowhere is able to offer a conscious incisor burr :(

thats is a shame,it is a nuisance for you.When is Ellie back ? Rabbits are not usually sedated to clip the insciors.
Ellie is back on the 2nd I believe. Yeah that’s the problem we’re having, nearly everywhere is saying they can do his teeth conscious with clippers but not burr them. To my knowledge, clippers ideally shouldn’t be used anymore, not even for rabbits really as I think they can cause the teeth to split or something like that?

We’ve had a bit of a mess about but managed to find somewhere to burr them consciously. I’m a bit worried about it all as I don’t want them to do something wrong and hurt him. Hopefully it will be okay. Our appointment is at half 12 tomorrow. They first wanted to at least have Little sedated but we weren’t keen on that so i just hope they can actually do it as they’ve said they would do it without.
We also have a phone consultation tomorrow afternoon with Simon to discuss removing Little’s top incisors.

Ellie is back on the 2nd I believe. Yeah that’s the problem we’re having, nearly everywhere is saying they can do his teeth conscious with clippers but not burr them. To my knowledge, clippers ideally shouldn’t be used anymore, not even for rabbits really as I think they can cause the teeth to split or something like that?

We’ve had a bit of a mess about but managed to find somewhere to burr them consciously. I’m a bit worried about it all as I don’t want them to do something wrong and hurt him. Hopefully it will be okay. Our appointment is at half 12 tomorrow. They first wanted to at least have Little sedated but we weren’t keen on that so i just hope they can actually do it as they’ve said they would do it without.
We also have a phone consultation tomorrow afternoon with Simon to discuss removing Little’s top incisors.
Hope the dental burr goes well for Little tomorrow x
Simon told us he puts his finger behind the incisors to be burred and he can tell when he’s getting through to the other side. That sounds such a sensible thing to do.

Hope the dental burr goes well for Little tomorrow x
Simon told us he puts his finger behind the incisors to be burred and he can tell when he’s getting through to the other side. That sounds such a sensible thing to do.
it sounds pretty dangerous! I’d burr my finger off! 😂

We went to the vets yesterday and the burred Little’s teeth for him. They were done decently enough.
Simon never got around to calling us, so we’re going to ring again on Monday regarding whether he thinks we should have the op to remove Little’s remaining incisors

Update:
It’s been a while since I posted, and I thought it best to give a final update.
We managed to find a vets close by who were willing to burr Little’s teeth for £18 which isn’t too bad. He’s had this done a good few times now as his teeth only last 2 and a half weeks before they become too long. He’s doing really well overall and is very happy. He doesn’t mind going for his teeth burring as he’s very trusting of people and also isn’t fazed by being in the car at all (if it was Peanut, on the other hand, it would be a nightmare). We managed to get Little’s poos back to normal a couple of weeks ago, he’s given some bio lapis probiotic every day as it’s the only thing that stops his poos going bad any time he eats veg. But having some probiotic every day no matter what has kept his poos normal which is a lot better for him.
Here’s hoping he’s got a lot of life left in him as he’s turning six very soon.
013DFECC-35D3-4E76-8E9D-08E927B75F3F.jpeg

Update:
It’s been a while since I posted, and I thought it best to give a final update.
We managed to find a vets close by who were willing to burr Little’s teeth for £18 which isn’t too bad. He’s had this done a good few times now as his teeth only last 2 and a half weeks before they become too long. He’s doing really well overall and is very happy. He doesn’t mind going for his teeth burring as he’s very trusting of people and also isn’t fazed by being in the car at all (if it was Peanut, on the other hand, it would be a nightmare). We managed to get Little’s poos back to normal a couple of weeks ago, he’s given some bio lapis probiotic every day as it’s the only thing that stops his poos going bad any time he eats veg. But having some probiotic every day no matter what has kept his poos normal which is a lot better for him.
Here’s hoping he’s got a lot of life left in him as he’s turning six very soon.
View attachment 154917
Aw, this is wonderful news, I did wonder that we hadn’t heard from you for a while and hoped Little was alright. It’s great that you have found a vet locally that can burr Little’s teeth and a good price too. I’m so happy for you, must be a big weight off your mind and pocket not having to travel all the way down to Northampton x

When Simon used to burr Bill’s dodgy incisors he said he placed his finger behind the tooth he was burring so he could sense when the burr was about to go through the tooth. At least that way he would not inflict any injuries on Bill only this finger
Little looks really happy and well in the photo, well done to you both x

Back