• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

Is this toy safe? I'm seeing positive review from guinea pig owners, and nothing explicitly stating guinea pigs shouldn't have it or that it's dangerous.

medium-1-pack-3-5-diameter-walnut-treat-inside-.jpg

"Made of all natural wood and contains almond nut" from the description.
Inside, there's a wooden ball, the material is not specified on the store page, though.
Is this toy safe? I'm seeing positive review from guinea pig owners, and nothing explicitly stating guinea pigs shouldn't have it or that it's dangerous.

medium-1-pack-3-5-diameter-walnut-treat-inside-.jpg

"Made of all natural wood and contains almond nut" from the description.
Inside, there's a wooden ball, the material is not specified on the store page, though.
I have this toy for my adolescent boys,they love it,i put treats in the gaps..eg parsley and they are entertined for a good hour,these are my first chewers.:)

I thought I would warn everybody about the alfalfa rings you can get firstly there is a rope guinea pig could get quite easily caught up in town it up with but I guess worse than that because bones together with bits of string which really do not want to say so I would avoid this at all costs
I just thought I would let everybody know thank you so thinking of buying them for the pigs I don't want any accidents happening

I would just like to highlight a toy that I have ordered from pets at home as a potentially dangerous cage accessory
It is the rosewood all naturals no stone stack
Correction Gnaw
The first thing is it's all threaded on a piece of fabric so when I opened it out of the packet it all felt a bit so what I did was I threaded all the parts of it on to a piece of wire that you would use to hang a bottle up with because I didn't want the potential for my guinea pigs to not through the cloth that this thing with ready gone and potentially have the skills crushed by the stones which are quite large they are about the size of the palm of a female hand and be actually feel like brick with a hole drilled through the middle of them and are quite heavy so if you are going to purchase please please keep us in mind to re-thread them so your pics don't die from your skulls being crushed by the following stone
Correction falling stone

IMG_2836.JPG I found a toy that could cause injury. I bought a Trixie wooden hay manger which my girlies adored. I used it in the pen and used to stuff hay in it. This morning I found a STAPLE sticking up from it because it stuck in my finger

View attachment 56215 I found a toy that could cause injury. I bought a Trixie wooden hay manger which my girlies adored. I used it in the pen and used to stuff hay in it. This morning I found a STAPLE sticking up from it because it stuck in my finger
Oh my God! I've heard a lot of bad things about Trixie, including tiny cages. A staple...thank heavens it was you and not a poor piggy!

The problem is with me because I have no site I only have descriptions to go on and when I took it out of the packet and it fell apart I thought this is not a good start but I have made it safe as I said because I have used a piece of wire that you would hold the bottle on the side of a cage with why don't make them like that I have no idea I'm off to get seriously injured really easily because the stones are quite heavy and are like bigger than a pigs head and if it landed on the pigs head and probably kill it

I was so worried about his millstones I took the skins off and left them with the wooden blocks
I didn't want them to know through them and for the stand for on my pics head and killed it
Correction stone

I have this toy for my adolescent boys,they love it,i put treats in the gaps..eg parsley and they are entertined for a good hour,these are my first chewers.:)

I have just thrown two of these toys out because one of my pigs ran in to one and thankfully missed her eye. If she had hit her eye, because the wood does poke out a bit, it would have been a nasty injury. As it was she hurt her front paw and limped for a bit. She was better after, especially when I told her that she might need to go to the vets to get it checked out if it continued hurting.

I have just thrown two of these toys out because one of my pigs ran in to one and thankfully missed her eye. If she had hit her eye, because the wood does poke out a bit, it would have been a nasty injury. As it was she hurt her front paw and limped for a bit. She was better after, especially when I told her that she might need to go to the vets to get it checked out if it continued hurting.
I'm sorry to hear that @Flamestriker .i will stop using these if its a potetial hazzard.

Does anyone know if these are safe to attach to the side of a c and c cage?

A photo is being shared on FB of a guinea pig with it's head stuck in a veggie ball

View attachment 41042

I would like to remind people of 2 old threads too

Hay/veggie Balls - Warning.

Hay Rack Warning

We have also had reported incidents of guinea pigs getting their heads stuck in Guinea Pig Toys such as loofah rings and toilet roll tubes. . This is easily solved by splitting the ring before using.
So you think the veggie balls that hang up on the hutches would be ok as they are quite hard to reach

Does anyone know if these are safe to attach to the side of a c and c cage?

We have this one hung up on the side. We let it free stand with supervision during floor time, too:
The trap should be snapped shut securely, so the guinea pig can't wedge their head inside. Should be okay!

So you think the veggie balls that hang up on the hutches would be ok as they are quite hard to reach
I don't use them any more - not after hearing what happened to that poor person who's Guinea Pig died getting stuck on a wire hay rack.

Usually I use the DIY guinea pig accessories and treats, there's lots of videos of them on YouTube, using DIYs is also a good idea because you will know what's inside them.

Just a question, if a guinea pig is feeling a little naugty and decides to squeeze her head through the bars of a run thinking she can, and gets her head stuck, what should you do? When this piggie, angel was a baby I ended up getting to push her head out as the bars where quite hard. She STILL escapes her run everyday now but she always comes back and is easily caughtIMG_20170110_155653.jpg

Back