• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

I hate how wilko use staples to fix the cardboard part on the treats package. Ridiculous

Please be careful of these little hay houses too. This has just come up on a Facebook group

View attachment 98313
We always let ours have hay cubes in the playpen under supervision until I am sure they've nibbled the holes plenty big enough to get in and out easily before they go in the cage. And we always buy the rabbit size ones!

We always let ours have hay cubes in the playpen under supervision until I am sure they've nibbled the holes plenty big enough to get in and out easily before they go in the cage. And we always buy the rabbit size ones!

This is the size of the ones we buy but I still like to watch the holes being nibbled to big pig bottom size until I would trust them alone with it! Here is Clover inside demonstrating what is a safe size hole for big pig bottoms, and Jezebel is helping make the holes bigger :)
20181023_191100.jpg

This is the size of the ones we buy but I still like to watch the holes being nibbled to big pig bottom size until I would trust them alone with it! Here is Clover inside demonstrating what is a safe size hole for big pig bottoms, and Jezebel is helping make the holes bigger :)
View attachment 98315
I have written another thread in this housing section. Would you mind posting this photo in their too @PigglePuggle as obviously the lady gave a hamster sized one but they’re still being marketed for small animals. The lady had a webcam and it was awful watching the poor pig thrash around the cage with his head stuck

Another bad experience with this toy here comes via Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue in the US.
The ingested luffa/loofah 'chewing and teeth cleaning toy' caused severe bloating as it doesn't dissolve when in contact with fluids; the piggy in question had a very narrow escape and it is not the first one. The treating vet asked immediately after any chewing toys when he saw the bloating... :(

Please don't by this stuff!

45033197_2054628541254989_3545021677760937984_n.jpg

Another bad experience with this toy here comes via Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue in the US.
The ingested luffa caused severe bloating as it does not dissolve when in contact with fluids; the piggy in question had a very narrow escape.

45033197_2054628541254989_3545021677760937984_n.jpg
Why on earth is that marketed as a toy?! I use it to scrub myself in the shower 🤯

Another dangerous toy.

A distraught lady on a Facebook guinea pig group had to rush her guinea pig to the vets this morning after he got his head stuck in one of these hay rollers. He had eaten the contents and got his head stuck inside.

Thankfully the vet managed to safely free the guinea pig who is now recovering at home after his ordeal.

35844A33-2A51-424E-A7F6-2131554D61A7.png

It’s highly likely one of my piggies cut his gum on one of these hay cottages and has been left with flapping skin and a hole in his mouth and was unable to eat properly. They’ve had them before with no problems but they don’t have anything else sharp in their cage that could have caused it. The coconut that was stuck to the top is quite hard as is the carrot so it might have happened because of that.

Attachments

• BA83A1C2-8B25-4DAE-88D9-BC7DC969BDA0.png
    BA83A1C2-8B25-4DAE-88D9-BC7DC969BDA0.png
    121 KB · Views: 1
I'm currently looking for a new hay rack for my piggies as I’m building them a new cage.
I’ve recently found one but wondering if anyone thinks it could be dangerous at all as I’ve seen comments from awhile back mentioning wooden hay racks. Thankyou x F964E327-5E00-4D8F-8688-803155A27AD7.png

I'm currently looking for a new hay rack for my piggies as I’m building them a new cage.
I’ve recently found one but wondering if anyone thinks it could be dangerous at all as I’ve seen comments from awhile back mentioning wooden hay racks. Thankyou x View attachment 104858

I’d be wary of them getting their heads stuck in between the gaps to be honest

Back