• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pre and post abscess operation

ncoopz2019

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi my Guinea pig is going for a abscess removal operation on 22nd feb and was wondering what to do what to take and post operation care please and have a funny feeling my piggie will nibble the stitches as I have to stop him grooming his wound already before the operation I was wondering if there is post operation skirt or something I could get for him kindest regards
Natasha

Sorry to hear he has an abscess.

Generally speaking if pain relief is sufficient, piggies will leave surgery wounds alone. There are no collars or such which can be used.

Is he on pain relief at the moment?

Hi my Guinea pig is going for a abscess removal operation on 22nd feb and was wondering what to do what to take and post operation care please and have a funny feeling my piggie will nibble the stitches as I have to stop him grooming his wound already before the operation I was wondering if there is post operation skirt or something I could get for him kindest regards
Natasha

Hi

I am very sorry.

Here is our post-op care guide, which also covers pre-op measures: Tips For Post-operative Care

The good news is that the removal of the abscess will bring much welcome relief to your piggy so I would not worry about operation scar gnawing. This only happens if there is real pain or a lack of healing process for some reason, which is also causing discomfort. Make sure that you come home with plenty of painkillers for the first 3-5 days.

Piggies are too wiggly and agile and for any collars.

With regards to what to take on the day, take some hay and veggies. Veggies are especially important to keep him hydrated as most piggies at the vets find it too stressful to come forwards to have a drink but will munch on some veg at the back of the kennel. I always send mine off with a packed lunch.

Where is the abscess? When my piggie went in for a lump removal on his tummy I got him some vet bed to lie on - lovely and soft. But once the pain relief kicked in post op he was back to pootling around and didn’t favour the vet bed at all!

Where is the abscess? When my piggie went in for a lump removal on his tummy I got him some vet bed to lie on - lovely and soft. But once the pain relief kicked in post op he was back to pootling around and didn’t favour the vet bed at all!
The abscess burst in his inner leg near his groin area but up the abscess itself in his tummy area and I’ve got some vet bed on the way just gotta pick it up on Wednesday x

With regards to what to take on the day, take some hay and veggies. Veggies are especially important to keep him hydrated as most piggies at the vets find it too stressful to come forwards to have a drink but will munch on some veg at the back of the kennel. I always send mine off with a packed lunch.
That’s perfect I’ll pack him a packed lunch that’s just adorable 🥰

Sorry to hear he has an abscess.

Generally speaking if pain relief is sufficient, piggies will leave surgery wounds alone. There are no collars or such which can be used.

Is he on pain relief at the moment?
He was on pain relief but they stopped it they don’t think he is in pain more of a annoyance

Hi

I am very sorry.

Here is our post-op care guide, which also covers pre-op measures: Tips For Post-operative Care

The good news is that the removal of the abscess will bring much welcome relief to your piggy so I would not worry about operation scar gnawing. This only happens if there is real pain or a lack of healing process for some reason, which is also causing discomfort. Make sure that you come home with plenty of painkillers for the first 3-5 days.

Piggies are too wiggly and agile and for any collars.
Yeah I point blank said to them he ain’t going in a collar its to much for them but I’ll be keep my eyes well on him once his out I’ve bought recovery food just encase he needs help or anything after vet bed to make him comfy his favourite treats

Yeah I point blank said to them he ain’t going in a collar its to much for them but I’ll be keep my eyes well on him once his out I’ve bought recovery food just encase he needs help or anything after vet bed to make him comfy his favourite treats

Unless there is a problem with the operation scar or the healing process, piggies will ignore it. The wound should be fully knitted within 10-14 days. The trickiest are the first 2-3 days when the operation cocktail runs out and the healing process has not yet set in fully.

Back