• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Quality of life

caybeach

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I have a four year old female guinea pig named Keeva who has seen a vet multiple times but due to covid they aren't answering their phones or messages for follow up questions. She was brought to the vet after eating less and having trouble eating. She's been receiving critical care ever since and I've got her weight back up around 1kg but she's still thin. First vet diagnosed her with bladder sludge which I disagreed with and brought her to a different vet the following day where she was found to have severe maloclussion of her molars, one of which had started growing into the cheek and caused an ulcer which was infected. She had her teeth trimmed (they also trimmed her incisors slightly which I was not aware of before they did it) and was started on meloxicam and sulfatrim. I was told she'd eaten on her own before bringing her home but she she wasn't able to eat her properly and lost interest in food, she's also not passing many stools and started to get slightly gassy (her belly isn't hard, just slightly distended). I brought her back to the vet on Monday and she said it's likely an abscess or other dental issue so she's scheduled for a CT scan tomorrow (Thursday). She's now on metochlopramide to promote gut movement, tramadol for pain relief, and continued on meloxicam and sulfatrim. She takes critical care but very slowly, and I've started giving her subcutaneous fluids to prevent dehydration and promote gut movement. The problem now is that she still have no interest in food, water, and she doesn't really move from her cuddle cup. Once she's in a position, she'll stay there until I pick her up to feed her. I'm at the point where I'm wondering whether the CT scan is worth it since even if they identify the problem, she likely won't feel better for several days or longer and she'll still need her molars trimmed regularly. At what point is the hope of improvement outweighed by the poor quality of life in the meantime? I've tried to discuss this with the vet but they're so busy with covid that they haven't responded to my messages.

I realise this is a very subjective thing and there's no real answer but any advice would be appreciated.

I’m sorry Keeva has been unwell.

First, can you tell us where you are located please? If you are in the uk then there is a very good vet who deals with a lot of dental issues - people travel from all over the uk for their expertise. If not in the uk then I know finding a vet with dental experience is very hard.

I personally feel having the scan would be worth it because you can’t deal with anything or make fully informed decisions until you know exactly what the problem is. We have several piggies on here who require regular dental work but who live a great life in between their dentals.

Last edited:
great advice
I need dental work myself lol
Hope keeps gets better and is ok

Sorry I forgot to mention that, I'm located in Quebec Canada. I've been bringing her to the Laval Veterinary Hospital and have always had good experiences with them before as they have several exotic vets.

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I've been debating for days but she seems comfortable enough in my arms or her cuddle cup so we've usually been snuggling between feedings. I just worry about the recovery afterwards and if she'll start eating on her own again.

Always think on the positive side thinking negative doesn't do any good.
As long as she doesn't go down hill any more she will be ok
Just keep checking on her and make sure she is eating even if it's just a little it's still something

Thank you, I'm usually positive but with everything going on it gets overwhelming at times. I'm still syringe feeding her every few hours and she gets subcut fluids 1-2 times a day so she's stable even if she's not really active.

Ok. If you could add your location to your account profile, then it will show up on every post you make so we won’t keep asking you! It means we can tailor our advice more appropriately.

I think take one step at a time - have the scan and see exactly what you are dealing with. Abscesses can be tricky but hopefully can be dealt with; dentals may have to be regular but if she copes with them and you can keep doing it, then that is one way forward. Of course her happiness needs to remain at the centre of everything though but until you know exactly what the situation is then I wouldn’t be making any decisions,

As I say we have other members on here whose piggies do require regular dentals so can offer you their personal experience and the rest of us will offer you support and a listening ear.

Ok. If you could add your location to your account profile, then it will show up on every post you make so we won’t keep asking you! It means we can tailor our advice more appropriately.

I think take one step at a time - have the scan and see exactly what you are dealing with. Abscesses can be tricky but hopefully can be dealt with; dentals may have to be regular but if she copes with them and you can keep doing it, then that is one way forward. Of course her happiness needs to remain at the centre of everything though but until you know exactly what the situation is then I wouldn’t be making any decisions,

As I say we have other members on here whose piggies do require regular dentals so can offer you their personal experience and the rest of us will offer you support and a listening ear.
Will do!

True, the CT scan is tomorrow so at this point I might as well wait and see what they say. Thank you very much for your help!

Yes it's extremely overwhelming right now is just not a good time. At least you can do the scan tomorrow

Update:
I'm heartbroken to say that Keeva is no longer with us. The CT scan showed that she had chronic dental disease with curved tooth roots. Sadly she wasn't recovering from her teeth trimming. She still wasn't able to eat on her own, she hated the syringe feedings, and she was continually losing weight. I did everything I could but in the end she didn't have a good quality of life and I had to let her go. RIP my sassy potato pig <3

I am so sorry that you lost your beautiful girl, but clearly she was deeply loved and you did absolutely everything possible to give her a chance.
I am sorry for your loss.

I’m so sorry you lost your little sassy potato piggie, sending you big hugs x
Sleep tight little Keeva x

Back