• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red/orange Urine - Recently Been On Medication

Dom R

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have read many different threads about the different causes of Red and Orange urine, and none of them seem to cover everything of what I am wondering.

Rodney, which is the pig in question, has recently been removed off of his medication after dropping 200-300 grams of weight due to two abysses (One in his mouth, and one in his gut). And he has now gained weight up to around 970, which is amazing.

But over the last couple of days I have been noticing red/orange flakes of sawdust in his cage, and after investigating, below it is the normal colour for wet sawdust. I decided today to check to see if there was blood in his urine, but he seems to be urinating the normal clear liquid most of the time, which to me is normal for him. But it's just puzzling me on what it would be. There's no major change in his diet (Daily Pepper/Cucumber, with probably 5-10g of kale daily), along with hay and pellets.

He shows no signs of discomfort when urinating either.

What I'm wondering is, is the chance of the medicine and everything else being healed up the cause of this, if there is blood? His last appointment, when he was given the all-clear was just over 3 weeks ago (23rd Feb).

If you need any more information or details then I can provide them.

Thank you to anybody who replies.

- Dom

Hi All,

I have read many different threads about the different causes of Red and Orange urine, and none of them seem to cover everything of what I am wondering.

Rodney, which is the pig in question, has recently been removed off of his medication after dropping 200-300 grams of weight due to two abysses (One in his mouth, and one in his gut). And he has now gained weight up to around 970, which is amazing.

But over the last couple of days I have been noticing red/orange flakes of sawdust in his cage, and after investigating, below it is the normal colour for wet sawdust. I decided today to check to see if there was blood in his urine, but he seems to be urinating the normal clear liquid most of the time, which to me is normal for him. But it's just puzzling me on what it would be. There's no major change in his diet (Daily Pepper/Cucumber, with probably 5-10g of kale daily), along with hay and pellets.

He shows no signs of discomfort when urinating either.

What I'm wondering is, is the chance of the medicine and everything else being healed up the cause of this, if there is blood? His last appointment, when he was given the all-clear was just over 3 weeks ago (23rd Feb).

If you need any more information or details then I can provide them.

Thank you to anybody who replies.

- Dom

Hi!

Check whether the urine is still clear when it leaves the body. You will find that it is! The intense discolouration is generally caused by a variety of bacteria present in guinea pig bladders that is normally kept in check by fully operational immune system, but that can flourish in the wake of illness.

Whether blood is present in the urine or not, is an entirely different matter. Strongly discoloured pee (even blood red pee) can test totally free of traces of blood while clear urine can score high.

Like a rash of milky calcium pees (which show up as white powdery deposits when dried), it can sometimes signal the very early stages of a urinary tract infection or cystitis when symptoms are not yet consistent and easily diagnostable.

If you are worried, please have your boy checked by a vet.

Otherwise, I would recommend that you strengthen his immune system by a 2-3 weeks booster course of extra vitamin C and see whether that is helping.
Have you been syringe feeding him with additional support feed (recovery formula powder or mushed up pellets) during his weight loss?
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Hi!

Check whether the urine is still clear when it leaves the body. You will find that it is! The intense discolouration is generally caused by a variety of bacteria present in guinea pig bladders that is normally kept in check by fully operational immune system, but that can flourish in the wake of illness.

Whether blood is present in the urine or not, is an entirely different matter. Strongly discoloured pee (even blood red pee) can test totally free of traces of blood while clear urine can score high.

Like a rash of milky calcium pees (which show up as white powdery deposits when dried), it can sometimes signal the very early stages of a urinary tract infection or cystitis when symptoms are not yet consistent and easily diagnostable.

If you are worried, please have your boy checked by a vet.

Otherwise, I would recommend that you strengthen his immune system by a 2-3 weeks booster course of extra vitamin C and see whether that is helping.
Have you been syringe feeding him with additional support feed (recovery formula powder or mushed up pellets) during his weight loss?
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

He was fed with syringe feed such as the ones you suggested, and I took him off of them around 3 weeks ago, and he's eating plenty of pellets and his pepper. He's definitely seeming a lot healthier and things compared to what he was before, but this is just an anomaly for him so I just wanted to see if there's any other reasons on why it could be. Although it seems to be entirely random of when it happens, as there's very little red/orange urine patches today, so it might have just been something that happened over a few days.

I appreciate the help, and if it seems to continue and any noticeable struggles or pain or other show, I will have to take him back down to the vets.

He was fed with syringe feed such as the ones you suggested, and I took him off of them around 3 weeks ago, and he's eating plenty of pellets and his pepper. He's definitely seeming a lot healthier and things compared to what he was before, but this is just an anomaly for him so I just wanted to see if there's any other reasons on why it could be. Although it seems to be entirely random of when it happens, as there's very little red/orange urine patches today, so it might have just been something that happened over a few days.

I appreciate the help, and if it seems to continue and any noticeable struggles or pain or other show, I will have to take him back down to the vets.

All the best! It is always an anxious time.

All the best! It is always an anxious time.

It seemed to have cleared up thankfully. I will keep an eye out on him, like I do with the others now and stop being so paranoid (Although not a bad thing) about any of them becoming ill. I'll let them be the jolly little pigs they are without me disturbing them constantly :))

Thanks again

- Dom

It seemed to have cleared up thankfully. I will keep an eye out on him, like I do with the others now and stop being so paranoid (Although not a bad thing) about any of them becoming ill. I'll let them be the jolly little pigs they are without me disturbing them constantly :))

Thanks again

- Dom

Thank you for the update. Glad that all has gone well!

Thanks again

- Dom

We’ve all had episodes of paranoia after our piggies have been poorly. Sometimes it’s hard to believe they’ve made a full recovery as we still fear the worst. Hope you can now relax again & enjoy them.

Back