• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rescues in or near Berkshire

GuineaDigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have been looking for weeks and weeks at adopting a pair of guinea pigs. I have found a few rescues within an hour and a half of my location. After a mixture of the rescues not responding to queries, not having what i'm looking for, or having one of what i'm looking for but refusing to home until i have a companion for it i am at my wits end!

Please help me find somewhere to rescue. I have family in north west london and also derbyshire, so those are also options. However i doubt the rescues at these places will be able to home check me 🤷‍♀️

Please be patient. Whilst its great you are wanting to rescue, please bear in mind that most rescues are run by unpaid volunteers alongside full time jobs so they are very busy. Unfortunately you can't pick and choose with a rescue, they have what they have! Also any reputable rescue is correct in not letting you re-home just one guinea pig.

Have you used the Rescue locater at the top of the page for your area? I had to travel for an hour recently to find a new friend for my bereaved piggy.

If you are serious about adopting then you must be patient, it will be worth the wait and good luck.

Hi all!

I have been looking for weeks and weeks at adopting a pair of guinea pigs. I have found a few rescues within an hour and a half of my location. After a mixture of the rescues not responding to queries, not having what i'm looking for, or having one of what i'm looking for but refusing to home until i have a companion for it i am at my wits end!

Please help me find somewhere to rescue. I have family in north west london and also derbyshire, so those are also options. However i doubt the rescues at these places will be able to home check me 🤷‍♀️

Hi

Please have a look at our list of vetted good standard rescues that we can vouch for you and any piggies throughout the whole rescue and adoption process being in safe hands and that welfare recommendations are respected at all stages, including the time in rescue.
Please be aware that anbody can call themselves a rescue (or a breeder) without licensing and supervision, and the results can be accordingly in any shade or form, including standards of care or division between true rescue and breeding.

Please also make sure that you:
- your guinea pig housing complies with welfare recommendations and that you are open to any improvements requested by a rescue.
They come with a good reason and are often the result of a bad or even fatal experience.
- Most rescues prefer indoors homes because they are generally safer. Hutches in front or open back gardens are considered unsafe (theft, arson, dog attacks) and it is generally preferred to bring guinea pigs under cover during the winter months, well out of the way of storms, frost and rain but not in a garage that you also use for you car (fumes).
- Your guinea pigs are at all times safe from large pets (cats/dogs). Fatal accidents happen in a matter of seconds and too quickly for you to prevent them.
- After a number of fatalities due to lack of supervision, some of your rescues refuse to rehome to families with younger children. Please respect that; it is not a decision they have made lightly.

PS: Your closest good rescues are likely Bobtails in Ewell, This Little Piggy in Richmond or the Blue Cross in Burford; please try them again and be patient. Contact them in any manner possible (email, phone or facebook message).
All guinea pig rescues in this country (including the RSPCA and Blue Cross) are run by volunteers in their free time who are usually very busy people and also usually there are not enough of them, so it can take more than one attempt to get hold of them because care if ill piggies or an emergency always take precendence. A good number of the smaller, private rescues are run from a home; sometimes via a fostering system, sometimes not.

Some of our recommended rescues actually rehome nationwide as long as you can come and pick up your piggies, having passed their adoption check.
One of our these recommended rescues is Honeybunnies, just off the junction M1/M69 by Leicester, so it would be very much on your way home from Derby. However, they do not always have guinea pigs as they are mainly a rabbit rescue.
The RSPCA Walsall also rehomes countrywide as long as you collect in person so they get to know you and pass a home check by your local branch. They are off the M6 just at the northern end of Birmingham; a bit further afield but with relatively good traffic links.

Rescues that will not rehome as far as you:
Hazelcroft in St. Albans near the M1 will only rehome locally.
Wheek&Squeak near Southampton won't rehome much past the Hampshire border (for home check reasons).

We cannot guarantee for any not listed rescue. No decent rescue will rehome any of their piggies into a single situation. Guinea pigs are group animals that are not wired to live alone. It is one of the basic five animal freedoms that group species have the right to companionship (something still widely ignored by pet shops and for sale breeders).

Back