• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

rescuing a piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is common or not but for some reason i react to most guinea pig hair except the rex ?/ i normally get itchy with the normal hair guinea pigs. So basically i want to rescue a couple of guinea pigs but I'm not sure if i told the rescue i wanted a specific hair type they would think i was being shallow. I know i could give a few piggies a good home, i have a decent sized wendy house and i know how to properly care for piggies although ive only ever had one. Anyway is this normal to react worse to certain types of hair or am i abnormal? ive only ever handled rex once and normal haired piggies alot of times, each time ive got really itchy. Is there any other hair types which cause less reaction? thanks :)

your the opposite to me i'm allergic to rex's but i have two anyway :)

I'm sure if you explained why to the rescue they would understand and mayb even let you go and double check if your allergic?

Well skinny pigs are practically hairless - except for a minor bit of hair on the face, but i doubt you'd get many of them in a rescue home.

You'd think you'd react same to all the hair types as they all still have fur just different textures.

They wouldn't think your being shallow - if you don't seem to react to a rex's coat then you could rescue some sweet little rexes.

Well skinny pigs are practically hairless - except for a minor bit of hair on the face, but i doubt you'd get many of them in a rescue home.

You'd think you'd react same to all the hair types as they all still have fur just different textures.

They wouldn't think your being shallow - if you don't seem to react to a rex's coat then you could rescue some sweet little rexes.

it could be possible i react to all fur types :... as ive had limited time with rexes.

My daughter's texel makes me feel a bit itchy, but certain types of dogs affect me more than others.
I was in the vets this morning and a woman with a cat sat next to me, with in minutes my eyes were itchy and my nose was running.
I'm sure a rescue would understand and just be happy that you want to adopt a rescue piggy.

I run a rescue and wouldn't think badly of you if you specifically wanted rex - each to their own!

I would handle some first though, as it's likely you would still be allergic. It's also worth seeing if it's actually their hair or whether it's the bedding / hay causing your allergies

Sophie
x

Iam allergic to sawdust also and thats what the guinea pigs in my college are bedded on. I also love the look of rexes they are gorgeous x) ive just realised also my rabbit boarder breeds teddies (first ive heard of this breed ") ) they are simply the most gorgeous guinea pigs ive seen x) so i was thinking of maybe getting three girlies from her? Is that an okay bonding? I would ask to go and sit with her guinea pigs a few times every week just to be sure.

Well I would always recommend going to a rescue - there are many hundreds of guineas needing homes all over the UK, and you'd be surprised what breeds turn up in rescue! We've had all sorts here ;) and you'd be helping some needy guineas.

But yes, worth visiting her to see if your allergies flare up when cuddling the teddies.

Sophie
x

Well I would always recommend going to a rescue - there are many hundreds of guineas needing homes all over the UK, and you'd be surprised what breeds turn up in rescue! We've had all sorts here ;) and you'd be helping some needy guineas.

But yes, worth visiting her to see if your allergies flare up when cuddling the teddies.

Sophie
x

i would much prefer going to a rescue and will have a look there first :) there isnt many rescues here and even less rexes or teddies, i have only ever seen the straight haired breed. They are gorgeous but i have reacted badly to my last male piggie and had to rehome him :( i really wouldnt like to rehome another hence my caution in owning more piggies. Hopefully i dont react this time! i loved having my last piggie he was such a joy x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back