• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rex Problems?

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was recently chatting to a piggy rescuer who mentioned that rex's can have problems with hair/eye brows growing so they curl into their eyes?

I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this, and whether there's a way to prevent it?

I've never seen that on my girl so far but she is young.

I found one of mine had an eye whisker curled dangerously close to his eye so I just snipped it off above where the curl started so it wasnt pointing down any more. Wasn't sure what else to do with it to be honest!

My mum's dog has curly eyebrows and she just keeps them trimmed.

I've only ever had one rex piggy. He had problems with blocked tear ducts, but we don't know if it had anything to do with him being a rex. My guess is it was just a coincidence.

I never had any problems with my old rex boy Bumble. I did notice the other day my texel had an eyebrow hair bending down close to going into the eye. I cut it off and am hair watching when I do his health check! I think I read somewhere that texels are part rex.

Thanks for your replies guys!

Very interesting, I never saw any mention of this when researching the breed after I got her.

I'll definitely do regular checks now like I do for my pirate piggy :))

I worried about that with Patchy when she was younger as her brows were so unruly and really bushy and way too big for her face but thankfully she has grown in to them and they are looking normal now days. I didn't even know they were both the rex breed until the vet told me lol.

scruffy caterpillar eyebrows lol
081.JPG
Now you can see her face and they have not been trimmed lol

028 (7).JPG

I worried about that with Patchy when she was younger as her brows were so unruly and really bushy and way too big for her face but thankfully she has grown in to them and they are looking normal now days. I didn't even know they were both the rex breed until the vet told me lol.

scruffy caterpillar eyebrows lol
View attachment 65947
Now you can see her face and they have not been trimmed lol

View attachment 65948

Aw adorable!v:love:

They look a bit like a rex/teddy mix as their hair doesn't stand upright, are they soft? They look soft :drool:

Hehe that's my favourite pic of Patchy. Coco is soft and has shiny fur and looks groomed after just patting her for a bit but Patchy has wirey fur and always looks in need of a good brush down not that she would ever let me lol, they are ment to be from the same litter but sometimes I wonder. Of course that first photo is old from when they were 6 weeks old. The vet said they had curly whiskers which is a rex trait? I know nothing about breeds, they are just cute to me.

Yep it's a rex trait, having said that my teddy has slightly curly whiskers but he's definitely not a rex, so perhaps a cross?

image.jpeg
^
Drommy my rex, her hair goes the wrong way and is coarse.

image.jpeg
^
Iggy my teddy, kinda kinked whiskers but soft hair going the right way.

I've had Rex rats where they've had balance problems and judgement issues because their whiskers McCurley
They were really clumsy as a result

I've had Rex rats where they've had balance problems and judgement issues because their whiskers McCurley
They were really clumsy as a result

Ooh yes I never thought about that! I don't think that's been a problem so much with the pigs, I suppose they don't do as many stunts and don't have to be as agile as rats?

Yep it's a rex trait, having said that my teddy has slightly curly whiskers but he's definitely not a rex, so perhaps a cross?

View attachment 66016
^
Drommy my rex, her hair goes the wrong way and is coarse.

View attachment 66017
^
Iggy my teddy, kinda kinked whiskers but soft hair going the right way.
Your Drommy's fur looks like Patchy's fur. Very cute piggies btw!

Back