Rumble strutting for 3 weeks

Stretters91

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys !
Sorry for another post but it isn’t stopping !
Digby the slightly older pig keeps rumble strutting and is now teeth chattering and chasing the younger pig Monty around :( with us being at work we don’t like the thought of anything happening to monty. There has been no blood yet or anything , even with a c and c cage now and a loft digby is still going for Monty !
We don’t know what to do , they have 2 of everything now also !
Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks
Stu
Ps they are around 4 months :)

walnutandpeanut

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You really should not worry it is part of boar behavior my and my guinea pigs used to do this all the time when their hormones kick in. You should be fine as long as there isn’t blood

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is the start of the teenage months. This kind of behaviour is totally normal. Keep an eye, but don’t worry

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys !
Sorry for another post but it isn’t stopping !
Digby the slightly older pig keeps rumble strutting and is now teeth chattering and chasing the younger pig Monty around :( with us being at work we don’t like the thought of anything happening to monty. There has been no blood yet or anything , even with a c and c cage now and a loft digby is still going for Monty !
We don’t know what to do , they have 2 of everything now also !
Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks
Stu
Ps they are around 4 months :)
Hi!

Your boys have just hit the teenage months; you should notice their testicles descending now. this is accompanied by hormone spikes and increased dominance behaviour - rumblstrutting is a mild version that some boars (including neutered boars) do on a daily basis. Boars measure up against each other peacefully by rumblestrutting and they also rumblestrut to impress sows; rumblestrutting is also there to just express their boarly feelings - in that phase it can often result in or be interspersed by popcorning or zoomies.

Please take the time to read these guides here so you know what to expect and what to look out for in the coming 10 months:
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
'Popcorning' and 'zooming' - joy and exuberance (videos) (contains some 'boarly' popcorning videos)

Stretters91

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks guys !
It just looks so unfair on Monty !
I mean Monty never rumble struts , and he never goes at digby just follows him around which is why I can understand sometimes digby rumble struts !

Is it oh k that Monty never rumble struts and just whines a bit ?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys !
It just looks so unfair on Monty !
I mean Monty never rumble struts , and he never goes at digby just follows him around which is why I can understand sometimes digby rumble struts !

Is it oh k that Monty never rumble struts and just whines a bit ?
Yes; that is perfectly normal. The whining is a mild protest/submission. Monty is obviously still in baby mode (i.e. his own testicles have not started descending yet) and he is obviously a submissive pigsonality. It is all well within mild parameters.

Stretters91

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks ! Being new owners we just didn’t know what to do ! But we will have to grin a bear it and let them be ! :)