• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Safe foraged garden foods for enrichment

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Following on from a post a few days ago, about a web page I'd come across with apparently safe plants for GPs ......

Wondering about the plants I have in my garden and close by, as to whether they may be safe to include for enrichment purposes within my run. Unless I hear a definite 'yes, they are safe', I will avoid, just in case. Would be great if some of these would be ok for them though!

Forsythia twigs, (and leaves and flowers in season)
Buddleia twigs and leaves too,
Cotoneaster leaves and twigs (berries too?)....
Berberis berries when dark purple and ripe...
and I though Oak and Sycamore leaves and twigs were no good, but the link I read recently said Oak and acorns, and Maple ok?!
Any definitive answers to whether these are safe to include for grazing on within a run, used as wigwams and dens and the like?
Thank you! :-) (Photos of my girl's attached for no reason other than they are beautiful and I felt they would illustrate my post in a nicer way than with photos of twigs!)

Attachments

• IMG_20191225_195249.jpg
    IMG_20191225_195249.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20191224_183242.jpg
    IMG_20191224_183242.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3
I’m sorry I have no clue. But the beat thing is to err on the side of caution - if you’re not sure it’s better to avoid them.

Having said that I wouldn’t feed the berries. Choking hazard. And I think oak leaves are poisonous to piggies.

Someone else with more knowledge will be along in the morning.

I wouldn’t feed any of those items. It’s not worth the risk.

The general rule is if it is ivy, a lily, comes from a bulb, is evergreen or has berries, then it is likely to be poisonous.

Not sure if I'm linking right using my phone but hopefully... Safe wild weeds/plants you can feed your piggies
This is a great resource for safe UK wild forage plants. You're mainly looking at actual wild plants rather than garden species (unless food plants like apple leaves). I wouldn't feed any of the plants you mention, and would only trust "safe lists" I've seen endorsed on this forum!

Back