Safe Guinea Pig Carriers

Little Pigs

New Born Pup
Joined
Jul 8, 2017
Messages
46
Reaction score
74
Points
200
I have heard many split opinion on the subject and wondered what others suggest. I need to purchase a new guinea pig carrier however I have been told that they prefer a small space whilst being transported around but, I have also been told that more space is better for piggies. I have found a reasonable priced carrier which seems great.

This is the carrier I plan on purchasing, is it alright to use? - it measures 42 x 24 x 25 cm
upload_2017-12-16_22-9-23.webpupload_2017-12-16_22-9-51.webp
 
Size wise I'm not sure what is ‘best’ but it feels a bit narrow? but that might be because the carrier I have is quite big, (51x33x35cm) but I have three in there at once and want to give them a bit of room to move incase Chewie’s in season ! Generally they all pile together at the back which makes it quite hard to carry!
I would be a bit worried about them chewing it and pee seeping out the mesh. My girls are partial to a bit of fabric eating. And pee spraying!
 
it really depends how long they will be in the carrier,how many,what mode of transport.i find a smaller carrier is better for travelling in a car ,due to less movement to slide about in the carrier,the vet is 30 mins drive.i also use sturdy cat carriers if traveling longer distances or more than one pig is traveling.
 
I would tend to get something more rigid and closed in. They like to hide away when they're scared, and the mesh might make that difficult.
 
I've got a hard cat carry one I can get 3 adults in there. Because they can snuggle up together, plus it gives a rigid base & sides so they feel safe. Personally I wouldn't use a flexible one as someone said they will all pile up one end. Also it depends on how long your journey is.
 
that carrier is great and practical for us, but it will be nibbled by the piggies. I have always used the rigid cat carrier, for going by car to the vet (30-40 minutes by car) and during the journey the two piggies spent their time nibbling the plastic. Then I had two journeys by train (3 and 3,30 hours). The sows together travelled hidden in the hay and the last time with the boar alone he travelled sleeping and eating hidden into his fleece blanket. They made their wee but there was no damage.
Be aware also of the rules of your country: in Italy pets can travel by train/ship ONLY if they are kept into rigid plastic carriers. The one of your picture is not allowed.
The piggies want to stay covered, they are not interested (like the cats) to look at the panorama and the people from the windows. In fact all the three hours they spent into the train, plus car, plus walf on foot, they remained well hidden.
If you travel only by car, that carrier might be good (but not at all safe because it cannot be fixed with the safety belts...)
 
D68C25C2-0AC8-4499-B295-0D63BE676E89.webp 28D99608-AC67-401D-8997-3AD31979EBF5.webp
I have the following in our house for small animals (admittedly mostly rats), the blue is
Living World Paws2Go Carrier, Blue
30.5 x ?7.6 x 15.2 cm


The bottom one is
Nobby Transportbox for Rodents Elmo, Large
22 x 28 x 36 cm


Should be able to find some reviews on Amazon. I find the bottom one large enough for 2 pigs at most without too much “sliding around”. As long as your piggies don’t mind cuddling up.

If you want something larger I would recommend a hardshell cat carrier, however I prefer to have my animals with a bit less space for short trips to reduce the chance of an injury if there is too much slipping around.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top