• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Saphie needs a friend

Have you had any luck getting Saphie a friend or getting in touch with the RSPCA?
Hi, no luck yet but hopeful. Altrincham RSPCA did leave me a message but all the neutered boars had been reserved from their website. I have managed to find a neutered boar at Warrington Animal Welfare, but they wouldn't let him go to a home without a garden (I live in a terrace with just a yard). When I told them I also had a static caravan with a garden that I go to most weekends/holidays and the guineas all come with me, they agreed it might be ok subject to a home/caravan check. I'm going to try and nip down this weekend to fill in some forms so I'll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Good luck! Pippin has rejected 2 pairs of sows this week... one last try for her tonight/tomorrow.. She might want a man friend instead!

Good luck! Pippin has rejected 2 pairs of sows this week... one last try for her tonight/tomorrow.. She might want a man friend instead!
Aww poor Pippin, hope she finds a friend soon (male or female 😁). Saphie,s fear agressive so don't know how she will be, even with a neutered boar. She's currently running around my caravan living room at the moment so seems to have perked up a bit which is good to see. I'm still missing Pearl though 😟.

Hi all, great news. I took Saphie to Warrington Animal Welfare today to meet Tybalt and it went really well. Just a bit of rumble strutting and mounting each other but then settled down so I brought him home this afternoon and set up a C & C cage next to Saphies. Just let them have another meeting before bedtime and after just a short spell of sitting on each others heads and Saphie squirting pee at Tybalt for chasing her 😆, they settled down next to each other. I know its early days but I'm so happy is going better than I had hoped so far. 20190515_221900.jpg

Attachments

• 20190515_164917.jpg
    20190515_164917.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 8
Hi that’s good news for you. If you put them together, please don’t keep separating them. Each time they’re together again, they have to sort out the hierarchy again. It can be stressful for them.

If you have some hours set aside, put them together in a neutral area with no hides, a big pile of hay and veg. Make sure you clean out their cage thoroughly (no lingering scent from either). If you see they’re doing fine after some hours, you can then transfer them to the newly cleaned cage. Bear in mind the dominance display etc may go on for a couple of weeks.

The thread below is a good read.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hi that’s good news for you. If you put them together, please don’t keep separating them. Each time they’re together again, they have to sort out the hierarchy again. It can be stressful for them.

If you have some hours set aside, put them together in a neutral area with no hides, a big pile of hay and veg. Make sure you clean out their cage thoroughly (no lingering scent from either). If you see they’re doing fine after some hours, you can then transfer them to the newly cleaned cage. Bear in mind the dominance display etc may go on for a couple of weeks.

The thread below is a good read.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Hi, I didn't know I'd be bringing him home yesterday so unfortunately hadn't had the chance to thoroughly clean the cage to put them together.
The charity did advise me to put Tybalts temporary home next to Saphies cage and just put them together for a few hours a day for a couple of days. Thanks for your advice, but it is sometimes confusing as you get different advice from different people. As they seem quite happy though, I think I'll put them together in the cage today after I've thoroughly cleaned it. 😁

Brilliant news! So glad you got a new friend for Saphie. I agree with the advice given by @silkibam to not keep separating them.
Good luck and I'm sure you will have two very happy piggies. :yahoo:

How are things going, have you got them paired up yet? Oh, sorry it’s a bit early! Hope everything goes well for them today x

Hope it's going well.. pippin and Winny are still doing well... bit of a fall out earlier over a fleece bed so I took it out !

Back