• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Setting up home - outdoor playhouse

nands

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I am buying piggies this summer, 2 girls. I am setting things up this month before we get them. I have bought a small playhouse, 4x4, I am planning to insulate with reflective bubble insulation and then go over with plywood. First question is how far up the wall do I need to cover with plywood, I was thinking half way up the walls would be enough? And also there are two holes for ventilation, at the top, but do I need more? I was planning to leave the glass in the windows but they can open. But especially in the winter I am not sure id keep them open all day. should I be drilling more holes for ventilation, maybe half way up the sides so not to be too drafty? I was going to put the house on bricks to raise it, but I have got an empty pallet, would that be sufficient? I

So I am buying piggies this summer, 2 girls. I am setting things up this month before we get them. I have bought a small playhouse, 4x4, I am planning to insulate with reflective bubble insulation and then go over with plywood. First question is how far up the wall do I need to cover with plywood, I was thinking half way up the walls would be enough? And also there are two holes for ventilation, at the top, but do I need more? I was planning to leave the glass in the windows but they can open. But especially in the winter I am not sure id keep them open all day. should I be drilling more holes for ventilation, maybe half way up the sides so not to be too drafty? I was going to put the house on bricks to raise it, but I have got an empty pallet, would that be sufficient? I
Hi there. I would 100% suggest you read through the very thorough guides on this Forum - especially if you are planning to keep them outside. There is a LOT to research and best to equip yourself now.

There is a section for new and wannabe owners, housing, etc Literally EVERYTHING you need to know. Please do your research before you get your guinea pigs.

Have you found some in a local rescue? if you add your location to your profile it will help with any suggestions from other members.

I had my pigs in a purpose built pig shed for a while. I would insulate and cover Everything. Walls, floor, doors, roof, the lot. I found it very difficult to keep heat in with insulation only half way up the walls and the roof. As heat rises, it just escaped further up!
Be aware that a wooden pallet will rot over time; I used old paving slabs as a base and broken ones for risers.

Also, I’d make sure it’s out of the sun and prevailing wind as much as possible. Mine got stiflingly hot in the sunnier weather. In the end we moved the pigs permanently inside as we had no where else to put the shed but where it was, with the alterations we had already made, and even taking into account those that were possible, it would never have been suitable in late spring/summer/early autumn. Shady sheltered spots are the best. It was an expensive lesson!

I had about 9 ventilation points in my shed, but it was larger. I’d be tempted to put a couple more in at least halfway up the walls to catch the opposite cross-breeze.

Do make sure you install a good quality weld-mesh inside the window so you can open it without worrying about other unwanted critters getting in!

Good advice. Thank you. I was thinking maybe I would insulate the whole thing but that id only need to plywood half way up the walls over the insulation, to stop the piggies getting at it?

How big do you think the ventilation points need to be?

The playhouse is going on a very sheltered spot on the patio, it is sunken and I'll put it in the corner so it will be sheltered on two sides. I have my fingers crossed that it will be suitable for them to be out for most of the year.

I would cover it all, it looks nicer!
My vents were about 6 inches by 2.5 inches and covered with tilted slats to stop things getting in.

Not sure what happened there! I tired to edit my post and that happened!

Back